NissanZClub Markup Thread

MHockey17

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Nissan 370Z NISMO, '01 Mitsu Eclipse GT
This shit is hilarious. Hilariously pathetic mostly, but some what comical. Twenty fucking thousand over MSRP because it's a "special edition". Literally paying $20k solely for yellow calipers, bronze wheels and some interior yellow stitching. You can spend $2k aftermarket to get the same results and I won't be surprised when we see others doing that. What a fucking joke. If people are paying that and expecting the Proto trim cars to appreciate because they're "limited special edition", good fucking luck. But hey if you have the means to pay $20k over MSRP, kudos to you.
Artificial scarcity/limited production is a powerful force I suppose šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

And with the Proto Spec not much can be done to combat ridiculous ADMs as the allocations are set. Once the standard trims start rolling in though I donā€™t think these kind of markups will fly.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Artificial scarcity/limited production is a powerful force I suppose šŸ¤·ā€ā™‚ļø

And with the Proto Spec not much can be done to combat ridiculous ADMs as the allocations are set. Once the standard trims start rolling in though I donā€™t think these kind of markups will fly.
This is why even though the Aus roll out is annoyingly slow, at least itā€™s better. Each pre order for the proto was called direct from Nissan Aus. The client had to confirm they are willing to buy for a proto to be allocated to the dealer. If the client decided it cost too much (we donā€™t have dealer mark ups) the car went back into the pool and was allocated to a different dealer who had a confirmed buyer

Works a treat, and no reason other than your antiquated laws as to why it couldnā€™t work in the US as well.

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
If it ends up anything like Ford Bronco, there are people who will pay those higher ADMs. So get ready for an upcoming kick in the teeth.

Like when I couldn't get a Bronco for trail running, and my son came home and told me his rich friend's dad already had not one, but two Broncos! And the guy doesn't even off-road. Him and his wife drive them to the grocery store or whatever, lol.

You will see those type of guys putzing around in new Zs, long before many of you will get one, unfortunately.
The majority of people that do pay those crazy ADM are likely only going to drive them on the weekends and then sell them in a year or two. And that is exactly what I plan on waiting for. A clean low mileage 2023 Z in my ideal spec, 1 owner, less than 10k miles, certified pre-owned by Billy Bob who kept it completely stock, only took it out for a weekend stroll and did all the maintenance to a T. There will be plenty of them like that on the market.

I also have no problem waiting because I'm actually curious to see if any issues arise with the motor or transmissions. My friend has a 18' Q60 Red Sport and at least 1 or both of his turbos just went. I believe Nissan stated they took note of the issues that plagued the Q60 Red Sport, but still, it takes real world testing for extended periods of time by consumers to really show what is or isn't fixed.

MHockey17

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Nissan 370Z NISMO, '01 Mitsu Eclipse GT
This is why even though the Aus roll out is annoyingly slow, at least itā€™s better. Each pre order for the proto was called direct from Nissan Aus. The client had to confirm they are willing to buy for a proto to be allocated to the dealer. If the client decided it cost too much (we donā€™t have dealer mark ups) the car went back into the pool and was allocated to a different dealer who had a confirmed buyer

Works a treat, and no reason other than your antiquated laws as to why it couldnā€™t work in the US as well.
Oh damn šŸ˜Æ now thatā€™s right way to do it!

Yeh if our US dealers werenā€™t guaranteed a Proto Spec until a customer agreed on price no way we see this kind of insanity lol.

The slow rollout is frustrating for sure, but car buying in Australia seems like a dream compared to here; if only it werenā€™t on whole other continent.. šŸ˜…

Nezluver66

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 toyota gr supra 3.0 premium
This shit is hilarious. Hilariously pathetic mostly, but some what comical. Twenty fucking thousand over MSRP because it's a "special edition". Literally paying $20k solely for yellow calipers, bronze wheels and some interior yellow stitching. You can spend $2k aftermarket to get the same results and I won't be surprised when we see others doing that. What a fucking joke. If people are paying that and expecting the Proto trim cars to appreciate because they're "limited special edition", good fucking luck. But hey if you have the means to pay $20k over MSRP, kudos to you.

Nezluver66

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2022 toyota gr supra 3.0 premium
Car depreciates 20k as soon as you sign the papers then another 5k to 7k when you drive it off the lot.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Maybe not the 5k to 7k but the 20k mark up will.
Well, we'd need a crystal ball to see when these disruptions subside. The pandemic was only supposed to last 2 weeks, remember that?

The dealership we bought our Corolla Hatchback in Dec 2019 from, for $20,750 has repeatedly offered us $25k for the car this year.

Trying to buy a Gen 10 Civic as a beginner car for my son, I'm shocked to see them priced as high as $26k for a 2016 with 60k miles.

2-1/2 years into this 2 week pandemic and I just don't believe anyone asserting normal economic theory.

We're also at high risk of China causing serious issues over Taiwan, and if that goes down there won't be any new cars for years, I'm not talking lower volumes, I mean none.

So, I don't expect the economy to return to normal anytime soon. Even the recession won't affect car prices much as long as inventories and production remains so low

Last edited:

TitanZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Titan SL 4x4 Midnight Edition
Conventional wisdom: cars depreciate as soon as driven off lot; automakers need to make higher volumes of vehicles to be profitable; dealerships need to sell more vehicles to stay in business.

Our new reality: the average new vehicle price is $48K and 13% of new vehicle buyers agreed to monthly payments over $1,000--more and more of us are now being priced out of the new car market and forced to look to the used market, strong demand will keep used vehicle prices higher. GM just had it's best year of profits ($10 Billion) in the last decade and Ford also had it's best year in the last 5 years with $10 Billion despite building 6% less vehicles this past year. Also the dealerships are all posting record profits as the average selling price for each new & used vehicle has risen 30% since 2019.
How is this possible? Dealerships charging for add-ons and ADMs well above the invoice price they paid for the vehicle, and the Manufacturer has probably increased its invoice price and/or not paying much if any holdback & dealer incentives like they used to, so they're all rolling in dough now. GM CEO has already said they will never go back to carrying a large inventory of dealer stock.

But I think the dealerships still want us to still believe the conventional wisdom so we'll go along with accepting the "global shortage is to blame" excuse, it is afterall a plausible excuse: the shortage is hurting production and now we don't have any vehicles to sell so that is why we add $10K ADM blah, blah, blah. But, at this same time it has also been reported the OEMs have been purposely dialing back their production from week to week to make sure inventory doesn't build up (maintaining scarcity), and this goes along with what GM CEO said about not carrying large inventory like pre-pandemic. So the dealership sales teams will put on a sad face and point to their empty lot as the excuse for the ADM just so they can put food on the table this month, so you won't think they're being greedy...meanwhile they're having the best years of their sales careers. Keep prices high by controlling the supply!

https://www.axios.com/2022/07/14/automakers-production-levels-decrease-profits

Last edited:

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
To pile onto the whole used car market fiasco.....

If anyone thinks traditional logic applies, go look at used car transaction prices.

Most cars under 5 years old are selling for their original MSRP.

Many cars less than 5 years old have been selling above their original MSRP.

Only the jankiest used vehicles have been selling below their original MSRP, however you may still be paying nearly double for that iffy vehicle than you would otherwise.

Even if/when a correction comes, it'll be slow. The less new cars made every year is a compounding issue for the future used car market, affecting prices for years.

Georges1

First Name
George
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1972 Datsun 240Z
Occupation
Safety Engineer
Most if not all of the Protos will probably be garage queens sold & resold with very low mileage. Probably will see flippers at Mecum & BJ that someone will pay too much for. I agree that finding a weekend warrior Z in a couple of years would most likely be a good buy. As far as I am concerned, if I buy one it will be my everyday driver. I am not planning to pay an exorbitant price & can wait if need be driving my ā€˜72-240 when I feel like it.

71zman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
71 240z, 90 300zx, 23 ZProtoMT, 24 Z Nismo
I'm sitting in the local Toyota dealer getting my wife's car serviced, already scheduled the $29.95 oil change and they're trying to tell me it's going to be $100 then they try to sell me on a $250 service. Acting shocked when I show them my appointment email says $29.95

Fuck all of these dealers are AIDS now. Trying to screw me on services too.

Corporate Toyota or Nissan absolutely doesn't care. They need to reign these bitches in or I'm never going to buy new again. I can fix my own cars too so eff them.
To pile onto the whole used car market fiasco.....

If anyone thinks traditional logic applies, go look at used car transaction prices.

Most cars under 5 years old are selling for their original MSRP.

Many cars less than 5 years old have been selling above their original MSRP.

Only the jankiest used vehicles have been selling below their original MSRP, however you may still be paying nearly double for that iffy vehicle than you would otherwise.

Even if/when a correction comes, it'll be slow. The less new cars made every year is a compounding issue for the future used car market, affecting prices for years.
@take more pills knows what heā€™s posting about!

pendragon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1978 280z (Sold) 2019 Volvo XC40 R Design
I bought my 370Z there... I'm not surprised

Ha! Gwinnett just reached out and said they have decided NOT to mark up the cost by 50k, and will only be willing to mark it up by 25.k.

I replied , Wow, That's amazing! If you dropped it that fast, surely it will drop some more!

Let me know when you mark it up by 6-8k. I'll take it for 60k out the door.