Still willing to pay markup after all the reviews?

raptor5244

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing
Don't get me wrong I like the car but the Performance trim is really a $45k car IMO. Based on these reviews the $10k really doesn't buy much performance when a 6 year old Camaro SS 1LE can run circles around it and sounds great while doing it.

SavedByFaith_

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Z Nismo
Yes.

Not buying a fast car, not buying a track car, not buying a drag car
I'm buying the new Z...
And then I'll pay whatever my heart desires to make it sound the way I want, to ride the way I want and whatever else I want.

So far my dealership has been great in communications and I'm fortunately in a good spot to not mind paying a few K over asking;
I'll pay whatever I can afford in a reasonable sense.

And hell, if they mark it up like crazy.
I've been super patient and don't mind paying the premium to ride it sooner (won't ever go for the Proto) even if that means sacrificing the color I want (cause again I can just wrap it to whatever my heart desires).

So my advice to others.
Are you buying the Z?
or are you looking to buy a car which fits in some bucket of some sort (track, drag, 0-60, crazy sounding exhaust/engine, wtv.)

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
I won't pay markup for any vehicle. (Fortunately I bought 3 vehicles just before COVID era took hold, also have a project vehicle, and I'll ride those out if needed.)

I'd be open currently for a 41K Z Sport, slap a spoiler and later getting a deal on a mechanical rear diff locker, and call it a day. But don't see that scenario happening anytime soon.

Probably Nissan will raise MSRPs next year if the Z is selling well with ADMs (as other manufacturers have already done to get a piece of that pie).

Also I want to test drive if buying, not just watch some videos of other people driving.

OP
OP

raptor5244

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing
Yes.

I'm buying the new Z...
And then I'll pay whatever my heart desires to make it sound the way I want, to ride the way I want and whatever else I want.

So far my dealership has been great in communications and I'm fortunately in a good spot to not mind paying a few K over asking;

I've been super patient and don't mind paying the premium to ride it sooner (won't ever go for the Proto) even if that means sacrificing the color I want (cause again I can just wrap it to whatever my heart desires).

So my advice to others.
Are you buying the Z?
or are you looking to buy a car which fits in some bucket of some sort (track, drag, 0-60, crazy sounding exhaust/engine, wtv.)
I get it. If you are a die-hard Z enthusiast you will probably pay whatever. Very similar to the die hard Corvette folks. I am a price/performance buyer at heart so I tend to lean toward the better performance value since they are enthusiasts cars.

The issue I have with the Z is that is it a carry over chassis with updated interior and based on all the reviews it is a pretty soft setup GT car with a questionable manual trans. When you get in to the $50k plus range I expect adaptive dampers, dual mode exhaust, E-diff with a variety of Track modes, 6 piston Brembos, etc. After markups and mods this car is in a different price bracket.

SavedByFaith_

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Z Nismo
I get it. If you are a die-hard Z enthusiast you will probably pay whatever. Very similar to the die hard Corvette folks. I am a price/performance buyer at heart so I tend to lean toward the better performance value since they are enthusiasts cars.

The issue I have with the Z is that is it a carry over chassis with updated interior and based on all the reviews it is a pretty soft setup GT car with a questionable manual trans. When you get in to the $50k plus range I expect adaptive dampers, dual mode exhaust, E-diff with a variety of Track modes, 6 piston Brembos, etc. After markups and mods this car is in a different price bracket.
Totally understand!
If you're looking for best value for your buck -this may not be the car, especially looking at the performance trim.

I wouldn't even call myself a die-hard Z fan.
This is going to be my first proper "sports car" and to me, this car fits the bill.
Of course need to test drive myself to truly feel.

But all the reviews call this a tamed drivers car.
For my experience - this is what I'm looking for.

The styling of the car, the brand and(for me at least) the price are all in-line with my needs.

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
I wouldn't pay over MSRP, so no not willing to pay markup. OTOH, I would still buy the Z regardless of the reviews. 90% of people who buy sports cars only use it on the street anyway, and the other 10% who have ample $$ laying around or want a track focused will purchase because of nostalgia, or they want the latest/greatest or a dedicated vehicle for tracking/cruising (weekend car) etc.

Where the Z shines, as said by EVERY journalist, is that its balanced, comfortable, and a fun street car that you can cruise in, and hit up canyons; no one, main person being the chief engineer said it was meant to be balanced vs track god like GTR. in Addition, 80% of the 90% who will use this on street will modify it, and in a couple years we'll see them clapped out and driven by college kids as we do every single coupe from the 90s-2010s that has been made popular through NFS, F&F and Forza.

The sports car segment has been infused with so many brands that have the $ to throw into updating/building their sports car from sales of their other products.

I think Nissan built the exact car they were able to build with they resources they had, without creating another sports coupe that is eerily similar to what is in the market right now therefore diluting the market.

71zman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
71 240z, 90 300zx, 23 ZProtoMT, 24 Z Nismo
Yes.

I'm buying the new Z...

So my advice to others.
Are you buying the Z?
Well said. I’m buying the Z because I love Z cars…always have and yes it’s a Proto because my heart desires it and I can and am willing to pay A modest ADM. and yes I don’t care about track performance. It’s a street car and fun to drive as such.

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
I wouldn't pay over MSRP, so no not willing to pay markup. OTOH, I would still buy the Z regardless of the reviews. 90% of people who buy sports cars only use it on the street anyway, and the other 10% who have ample $$ laying around or want a track focused will purchase because of nostalgia, or they want the latest/greatest or a dedicated vehicle for tracking/cruising (weekend car) etc.

Where the Z shines, as said by EVERY journalist, is that its balanced, comfortable, and a fun street car that you can cruise in, and hit up canyons; no one, main person being the chief engineer said it was meant to be balanced vs track god like GTR. in Addition, 80% of the 90% who will use this on street will modify it, and in a couple years we'll see them clapped out and driven by college kids as we do every single coupe from the 90s-2010s that has been made popular through NFS, F&F and Forza.

The sports car segment has been infused with so many brands that have the $ to throw into updating/building their sports car from sales of their other products.

I think Nissan built the exact car they were able to build with they resources they had, without creating another sports coupe that is eerily similar to what is in the market right now therefore diluting the market.
the min that dude said dance partner it left a bad taste in my mouth

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
THIS. The reviews themselves don't bother me, it's the price PLUS the reviews PLUS what other cars in that price range offer PLUS the fact that a good percentage of this car is 370Z.

DEUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'06 RX8, '23 BRZ
Interesting how the BRZ/GR86 doesn't get any criticism for it's carryover chassis, but the Z gets crucified. I think for most people who are shouting that the $50k performance trim is overpriced would be well and happy with the $40k base (if Nissan even produces any stripped down models) and the longtime Z enthusiasts will be happy paying for the $50k performance trim.

OP
OP

raptor5244

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing
Interesting how the BRZ/GR86 doesn't get any criticism for it's carryover chassis, but the Z gets crucified. I think for most people who are shouting that the $50k performance trim is overpriced would be well and happy with the $40k base (if Nissan even produces any stripped down models) and the longtime Z enthusiasts will be happy paying for the $50k performance trim.
Thats because the GR86/BRZ chassis is very good and it only costs around $30k. Now the Z at $40k makes sense for the powertrain and after researching this car I think it is a good value at that price point but at $50k+ you are reaching a price point where many can just go even higher and spend $60-80k to get something like a C8.

My main issue is the price point of the Performance doesn't really add any performance. If they would have put the LSD in the base then that would have helped. I mean you get an LSD in a $28k GR86. Who doesn't put an LSD in a 400hp 2 seater sports car? It is dumb, are we really going back to one wheel peels again?

DEUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'06 RX8, '23 BRZ
Thats because the GR86/BRZ chassis is very good and it only costs around $30k. Now the Z at $40k makes sense for the powertrain and after researching this car I think it is a good value at that price point but at $50k+ you are reaching a price point where many can just go even higher and spend $60-80k to get something like a C8.

My main issue is the price point of the Performance doesn't really add any performance. If they would have put the LSD in the base then that would have helped. I mean you get an LSD in a $28k GR86. Who doesn't put an LSD in a 400hp 2 seater sports car? It is dumb, are we really going back to one wheel peels again?
The 350/370 base never had an LSD, so they are sticking with tradition lol. I don’t think Nissan could have sticked to 40$k with a twin turbo and brand new chassis, just like Toyota partnering with BMW to share chassis development keeping it’s msrp reasonable. Is the Z chassis really that bad? Lol

For 28$k you also get a suspect Subaru boxer engine.

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Keep in mind the price jump between the two vehicles. The 86 base MSRP for 2020 was $27,060. The second gen 86 base MSRP for 2022 was 27,700. So not looking at such a large price jump as with the 370Z to Z. Hence people are less likely to complain about what you get for the extra money, when for the twins there was not a lot of extra money charged.

DEUPRA

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'06 RX8, '23 BRZ
Keep in mind the price jump between the two vehicles. The 86 base MSRP for 2020 was $27,060. The second gen 86 base MSRP for 2022 was 27,700. So not looking at such a large price jump as with the 370Z to Z. Hence people are less likely to complain about what you get for the extra money, when for the twins there was not a lot of extra money charged.
But you’re getting a twin turbo…..