Still willing to pay markup after all the reviews?

OP
OP

raptor5244

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Cadillac CT4-V Blackwing
The difference between an AT Supra and an AT Z isn't that big.

Are you comparing 6MT Z to the 8AT Supra?

Because, like almost every modern 6MT option, it's significantly slower than the AT option.....
You are correct, those were the Z MT times vs. Supra AT times. It is closer auto to auto but both the Supra and Mustang are faster in a straight line and much faster around a track. It look like if Nissan would put some better tires (at least on the performance trim) it would fair better off the line.

Drseckzytime

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stuff
Nobody should pay ADM out of principle in the first place.

That said the Z premium isn't worth it's asking price. It's missing out on so much performance, bells, and whistles compared to the competition, as well as fit and finish. There are much better options for the money. But as car lovers, we don't always do the most rational things, though I have gotten better.

I was smitten by the looks of the Z, gorgeous car. But I got over it thankfully and got a superior car and overall package of a car for the same price (2SS 1LE w/sunroof). It too is a good looking car with a great heritage, but I wanted a sports car that can also track and GT, and this can. And it sounds wonderful.

The better value of Z is getting the base and having $10k laying around for a proper suspension, tires, brakes, exhaust, and a diff. The premium isn't worth it, many superior options to it. Supra, SS 1LE, Mustang GT:pP, M240i..

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
Exactly, ADMs actually hurt manufacturers. They upset customers and damage the brand. GM and Ford are finally cracking down but this shit needs to stop. Folks will be so upside down on these cars in a few years if they pay 10-20k markups. You better love the Z so much, you will be buried in it.
Ford and GM are not cracking down. They sent out a letter that was pretty much ignored.

But Does It Djent?

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1998 BMW Z3
Nope. If I can't get a sport trim Z for under $45k including fees and tax, I'll wait. That's all I feel the car is worth. I'm unsure if that's realistic right now though, as I'm worried dealers will be charging performance trim prices for the sport. ADMs need to be illegal

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Ford and GM are not cracking down. They sent out a letter that was pretty much ignored.
Lot's of dealers are selling new cars as "used" as the manufacturers have even less say over used pricing. So, if the manufacturers wag their finger at a dealership, they just list the cars as "used"

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
Lot's of dealers are selling new cars as "used" as the manufacturers have even less say over used pricing. So, if the manufacturers wag their finger at a dealership, they just list the cars as "used"

Did not know that. tricky

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Did not know that. tricky
Yup, the Toyota dealership I have my wife's car serviced at have 3 brand new 86's in stock. Guess what? They're all "used" here's 2 of the 3 they had 2 weeks ago:
IMG_20220810_170748944_HDR.jpg

These are base models, they were asking $39k 2 weeks ago, they have since reduced the price to $35k

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
Yup, the Toyota dealership I have my wife's car serviced at have 3 brand new 86's in stock. Guess what? They're all "used" here's 2 of the 3 they had 2 weeks ago:
IMG_20220810_170748944_HDR.jpg

These are base models, they were asking $39k 2 weeks ago, they have since reduced the price to $35k
That's ridic. I have zero sympathy for dealerships. This crap is going to run out and I hope it bankrupts the real greedy ones.

NecioVato

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370z Nismo 6MT
Occupation
web developer
Several things come to mind - for starters - part of the reason why prices jumped so much was bc the used car market had a huge shortage driven by the shortage of the new car market thus making all used prices jump. So many people are forgetting that cars are depreciating assets - your 'new' Z will not stay at its current price but will tank in value (just like every other car out there not a classic) once the market stables out (which we are beginning to see).
If you look at some of the youtube vids from Lucky Lopez and YAA - they talk about how the prices of auction/warehouse used cars are/have dropped significantly - so dealers will be forced to sell what they have 'at a loss' bc they too overpaid during the pandemic at the auctions as well. The main reason for this is we are going to see A LOT of repos hitting the auctions/warehouses in the coming months - thus driving down used cars significantly. Once that happens - people won't pay ADM for a new car bc you can get a 1/2yr old car for significantly less thus bringing the prices of new cars back to 'normal'. People just need to be patient which as a car enthusiast - it is very difficult to do.

Anyway - as everyone knows - car purchases are more emotional than objective so goodluck to everyone getting ANY new car and dealing with the dealer - but i think the ADM craziness is going to go away soon enough- unless we are talking about something that has been limited by the manufacturer such as the new Honda CTR and Corolla GR - and even those cars I don't think we'll see crazy ADM added to them when people can wait a year or 2 and get a used one.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
Several things come to mind - for starters - part of the reason why prices jumped so much was bc the used car market had a huge shortage driven by the shortage of the new car market thus making all used prices jump. So many people are forgetting that cars are depreciating assets - your 'new' Z will not stay at its current price but will tank in value (just like every other car out there not a classic) once the market stables out (which we are beginning to see).
If you look at some of the youtube vids from Lucky Lopez and YAA - they talk about how the prices of auction/warehouse used cars are/have dropped significantly - so dealers will be forced to sell what they have 'at a loss' bc they too overpaid during the pandemic at the auctions as well. The main reason for this is we are going to see A LOT of repos hitting the auctions/warehouses in the coming months - thus driving down used cars significantly. Once that happens - people won't pay ADM for a new car bc you can get a 1/2yr old car for significantly less thus bringing the prices of new cars back to 'normal'. People just need to be patient which as a car enthusiast - it is very difficult to do.
Yeah, I've been stumbling across editorials about the signs pointing to a potentially-imminent auto loan default crisis on the horizon, as well. It's not here just yet but it may be coming in short order. Repossessions have yet to spike but there's been a steady increase in late payments this year so it just feels like borrowers who maybe bit off a little too much have been able to stay ahead of the default window. We shall see.

If you're right, and if the warning signs do portend the worst to come, there may just be a bumper crop of 1 & 2 year-old automobiles injected into the market. Patience is key!

TitanZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Titan SL 4x4 Midnight Edition
Dealers always playing games, selling new cars as used and used cars as new:

1661197488019.png