Nissan should learn from Toyota

Adam

Threads
Reaction score
I feel like Nissan is at a similar position that Toyota was in just a few years ago and from a place it is still crawling itself out of.

Nissan clearly knows how to build a sports car that performs, ahem GT-R. But it needs to step back and evaluate its position in the land of performance cars.

Toyota did just that in the early part of the decade and look where it is now with the FR-S. It devised a good strategy to reinvigorate its line up of boring cars and get people excited not just about the FR-S but about Toyota performance again.

Yea we all know fast cars don't contribute much to a company's bottom line but it can't hurt either. The FRS sells more units in a few months than the 370Z in a whole year.

afflicted

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 fr-s
A lesson they should learn from Toyota: small, sporty and fun cars are selling like hotcakes.

Ditch the bulky 370Z and build us an FR-S killer.

MisterNismo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Totaled 370Z
I feel like Nissan is at a similar position that Toyota was in just a few years ago and from a place it is still crawling itself out of.

Nissan clearly knows how to build a sports car that performs, ahem GT-R. But it needs to step back and evaluate its position in the land of performance cars.

Toyota did just that in the early part of the decade and look where it is now with the FR-S. It devised a good strategy to reinvigorate its line up of boring cars and get people excited not just about the FR-S but about Toyota performance again.

Yea we all know fast cars don't contribute much to a company's bottom line but it can't hurt either. The FRS sells more units in a few months than the 370Z in a whole year.
The GT-R and Z gives Nissan more of a performance image than the FR-S does for Toyota. It's not even badged as a Toyota! Now if the next Supra comes out it could be a different story, but for now Nissan has gotta be the sportier brand in most people's minds.

MRichter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
bmw 325i
The GT-R and Z gives Nissan more of a performance image than the FR-S does for Toyota. It's not even badged as a Toyota! Now if the next Supra comes out it could be a different story, but for now Nissan has gotta be the sportier brand in most people's minds.
Don't know about that. Toyota has always been more famous for its motorsports activities (i.e. F1) than Nissan.

tetsuo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan Maxima
I totally agree with this. Toyota has become synonymous with boring, vanilla and safe/fuel efficient. The first thing that comes to mind is the Corolla. No one is thinking FR-S. Like you said it doesn't even have a Toyota badge but something else - they didn't even develop it all themselves!

Nissan got huge points in performance credibility with the GT-R. They just need to round out the lower end with some cheaper and sportier cars.

FLex

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW Golf R
Don't know about that. Toyota has always been more famous for its motorsports activities (i.e. F1) than Nissan.
Yea but not exactly a household name as far as the average sports car owner. Maybe in the 1990's but it's become a soccer mom brand in the last few decades.

chromeX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Yea but not exactly a household name as far as the average sports car owner. Maybe in the 1990's but it's become a soccer mom brand in the last few decades.
They've badged the sportier cars Lexus (ISF, RCF, LFA). Unfortunatelly I don't think that's really given Lexus much of a sporty image. Too many old retirees driving the brand to overcome the image. And the FR-S they decided to badge a Scion. So really Toyota's image as appliances on wheels is self inflicted LOL.

Good thing Nissan didn't copy and make its sports cars all wear Infiniti badges. Result is Nissan has a sportier image than Toyota.

350ZZZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
07 350Z NISMO
Nissan should definitely NOT follow Toyota with how they've treated their FR-S. First they gave it a Scion badge. If they gave it a Toyota badge it would have even more respect and buyers. I konw plenty of guys who won't consider that car just because of the badge but who mighta bought a Toyota version.

But the biggest stupid they made is not keeping interest in the car with more power updates or models. Now look what's happening their sales are down. Hopefully Nissan doesn't do this with the next Z car and are smart enough to keep sales strong with power upgrades through the life cycle.

nismoZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
I agree with this^^

I just hope Nissan has learned from Toyota's mistakes and also mistakes they made with the Z over the years. It also has suffered from lack of power and significant upgrades over its life to keep it competitive with other cars.

tetsuo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan Maxima
I agree with this^^

I just hope Nissan has learned from Toyota's mistakes and also mistakes they made with the Z over the years. It also has suffered from lack of power and significant upgrades over its life to keep it competitive with other cars.
What's sad is that when the 370z came out if you compared it on paper to its competitors at the time, it was great. But years later that's not true anymore. There's nothing special about it, but it's priced at a price level where you expect something special.

626m3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E46 M3
I agree with this^^

Sounds like they will with the multiple engines they'll be offering. That way people who care more or less about power will have an option for them not like the FR-S which only has one underpowered engine.

chromeX

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
What's sad is that when the 370z came out if you compared it on paper to its competitors at the time, it was great. But years later that's not true anymore. There's nothing special about it, but it's priced at a price level where you expect something special.
Exactly and they are at a point where they might have to discontinue and stop production if they can't turn it around. That's why a name change is good and a totally different philosophy. Return to roots and compete on price and size/weight.

afflicted

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 fr-s
Exactly and they are at a point where they might have to discontinue and stop production if they can't turn it around. That's why a name change is good and a totally different philosophy. Return to roots and compete on price and size/weight.
From all rumours that's what it sounds like will happen. Can't wait for this... hopefully a better looking and quality FR-S but with more power!

J_Watts

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86
They do need to keep this car small, light, low CoG and fun. As much as I hate to say it -- like the FR-S.

350ZZZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
07 350Z NISMO
They do need to keep this car small, light, low CoG and fun. As much as I hate to say it -- like the FR-S.
Nissan should be able to pen something much better looking though. Both 350 and 370z look great even stock.