First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
G37S Coupe 6MT, Q50S Hybrid, MDX
Occupation
Self
You mean to suggest that more people prefer the concept to the production fascia, overall? Again, citations would be needed. I'd imagine that it's pretty split, and I don't know if many who dislike the concept are putting as fine a point on the exact "why" of it all as I am.

Oh, I don't intend to only supply information that specifically reinforces my perspective - I would rather provide all available information so that the point is not being distorted by omission of evidence. I dislike it just as much from the straight-on view as from the 3/4, though the 3/4 angle makes it look significantly worse to me.
To be fair to the Zā€™s production grille, itā€™s nitpicking to call it bad, but on such an otherwise beautiful design, the gaping maw stands out that much more as a flaw - like an otherwise beautiful girl that has a bit more than peach fuzz above her upper lip. Thereā€™s zero chance Iā€™m gonna go back and count the articles - or blog posts - which commented on the matter. Iā€™m not trying to write a book report or be cited in Wikipedia. Just about every magazine article that I read which featured the Fairlady concept, praised it. For reference, I read and subscribe to every major auto publication (R&T, C&D, MT, Automobile) and read most of the lesser ones online). Most articles (if not all) commenting on the Zā€™s production design have praised it overall, but many that commented on the gap of a grille (way more than half) saw a need for improvement there or otherwise saw it as the designā€™s weak point. I donā€™t need to prove the above to anyone. Just read and see for yourself. Iā€™m a Z fan, a former owner and will be an owner again regardless of its grille design. And if Nissan is testing the Fairlady grille (and we donā€™t know that it is), it can only be because they too feel itā€™s better than the production carā€™s gaping maw. On that much Iā€™ll cite the videos posted in this thread.

Last edited:

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
Most articles (if not all) commenting on the Zā€™s production design have praised it overall, but many that commented on the gap of a grille (way more than half) saw a need for improvement there or otherwise saw it as the designā€™s weak point. I donā€™t need to prove the above to anyone. Just read and see for yourself.
Oh, I've read them. But I think you're referencing the initial reactions more than the newer in-the-metal reviews of the car, where its design has been praised with far less qualification and hedging than it initially was at reveal. Nobody here needs to prove any of this out, we're having a bit of fun speculating and chatting about Zs; it's just me stating that it's far safer to be less absolute about this sort of thing unless there is something empirical upon which you're basing the claim.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
You mean to suggest that more people prefer the concept to the production fascia, overall? Again, citations would be needed. I'd imagine that it's pretty split, and I don't know if many who dislike the concept are putting as fine a point on the exact "why" of it all as I am.

Oh, I don't intend to only supply information that specifically reinforces my perspective - I would rather provide all available information so that the point is not being distorted by omission of evidence. I dislike it just as much from the straight-on view as from the 3/4, though the 3/4 angle makes it look significantly worse to me.
But thatā€™s not what the poll showed when we had oneā€¦.more people liked the original?

Supremekai

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Nissan Z
Let's hope that it's not that fascia. At least not exactly that fascia.

It isn't that bisecting the air dam cannot work, stylistically. In my view (and only mine, potentially), this is the issue with the concept from Tokyo - the mismatched angles and curvatures at the outer edges of the upper and lower environments simply do not work from a cohesive design perspective.

It looks like an aftermarket kit rather than a factory design. Amend that, and I can see it playing pretty well.

Fairlady Concept Bumper.JPG
I agree with you and also the line that goes across, making look it was just stacked on top.

Here I fixed:

1658680284529.png

DrivingEnthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Focus RS, S2000, Infiniti Q50S Red Sport 400
Occupation
computer geek
In serious sports cars, from follows function. The answer here is in the new front calipers.

OP
OP
because_murica

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
In serious sports cars, from follows function. The answer here is in the new front calipers.
Bingo. If all we were looking at was mismatched wheels and a camo front end, I would have agreed that this was just a mule. The larger brakes, as you point out, likely point to this being a legit different/higher trim level.

Longhorn2020

First Name
Jase
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350Z
Occupation
Computer engineering
Bingo. If all we were looking at was mismatched wheels and a camo front end, I would have agreed that this was just a mule. The larger brakes, as you point out, likely point to this being a legit different/higher trim level.
Smells like the makings of a Nismo! šŸ˜

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater

DrivingEnthusiast

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Focus RS, S2000, Infiniti Q50S Red Sport 400
Occupation
computer geek
Styling doesn't matter... it's the mechanical and electronics engineering. And this obvious mule has larger brakes up front, but not in the back. I'd personally rather see Brembos at all 4 corners (because I've personally worn the heck our of Akebono calipers on track, and irritatingly the front bearings), but this mule signals that apparently it's not to be. Front only (note that the competitor Mach 1 has them in thhe front only, but the 2024 model has them all around again - they have already been seen on their mule. Camaro always had them).
As for the wheels/tires, they just put anything laying around on the car because it's the electronics calibration and durability that is being tested. Even the torque of the bolts and the brake line. Later on there would be a set of prototypes closer to the final appearance specs with the final wheels and tires, and final calibrations.
A word of caution... as a product planner myself, if all I see in these forums are people arguing about styling, I'd focus my plans only on that because it's cheap and fast. And not the functional additions that a true Nismo needs - which are very expensive and time consuming to engineer and put in production.
So I suggest that we focus discussion on what truly counts: solid requirements and justification. *Why* do you want Brembos, Recaros, more power. And be real, because in this day and age huge HP numbers are not going to happen, there certainly isn't any money for a stronger block, rods, crank. Maybe a new intake and turbos. A necessarily stronger transmission is doubtful (ever wonder why this very sophisticated enigne only makes a whimpy 350 torque?). It's just not where the money can be spent. Even adding the Recaros back would be expensive because of the testing that has to take place for them - never mind that as we know the stock seats are identical in the Z to the 370Z, the floorpan, the relationship to the A and B pillar, etc. Testing and production will be expensive for this too. And then the cost and profit of such a package in this market.: is a ~60k Nismo too much? How many will sell? Note that the last Nismo was probably a loss... there were a lot of those sitting around and at Carmax.

OP
OP
because_murica

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
Styling doesn't matter... it's the mechanical and electronics engineering. And this obvious mule has larger brakes up front, but not in the back. I'd personally rather see Brembos at all 4 corners (because I've personally worn the heck our of Akebono calipers on track, and irritatingly the front bearings), but this mule signals that apparently it's not to be. Front only (note that the competitor Mach 1 has them in thhe front only, but the 2024 model has them all around again - they have already been seen on their mule. Camaro always had them).
As for the wheels/tires, they just put anything laying around on the car because it's the electronics calibration and durability that is being tested. Even the torque of the bolts and the brake line. Later on there would be a set of prototypes closer to the final appearance specs with the final wheels and tires, and final calibrations.
A word of caution... as a product planner myself, if all I see in these forums are people arguing about styling, I'd focus my plans only on that because it's cheap and fast. And not the functional additions that a true Nismo needs - which are very expensive and time consuming to engineer and put in production.
So I suggest that we focus discussion on what truly counts: solid requirements and justification. *Why* do you want Brembos, Recaros, more power. And be real, because in this day and age huge HP numbers are not going to happen, there certainly isn't any money for a stronger block, rods, crank. Maybe a new intake and turbos. A necessarily stronger transmission is doubtful (ever wonder why this very sophisticated enigne only makes a whimpy 350 torque?). It's just not where the money can be spent. Even adding the Recaros back would be expensive because of the testing that has to take place for them - never mind that as we know the stock seats are identical in the Z to the 370Z, the floorpan, the relationship to the A and B pillar, etc. Testing and production will be expensive for this too. And then the cost and profit of such a package in this market.: is a ~60k Nismo too much? How many will sell? Note that the last Nismo was probably a loss... there were a lot of those sitting around and at Carmax.
50hp - 75hp more is realistic. The stock components are more than capable for that increase. As to trans, the manual trans is stout, known for handling 600wp with ease on boosted 370s (just need a new clutch).