because_murica

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
Let's hope that it's not that fascia. At least not exactly that fascia.

It isn't that bisecting the air dam cannot work, stylistically. In my view (and only mine, potentially), this is the issue with the concept from Tokyo - the mismatched angles and curvatures at the outer edges of the upper and lower environments simply do not work from a cohesive design perspective.

It looks like an aftermarket kit rather than a factory design. Amend that, and I can see it playing pretty well.

Fairlady Concept Bumper.JPG
To @Andaesthetics's point, this appears to be something different. In particular, note the bottom center of the camo'd bumper - it has a much sharper edge compared to the custom Z shown at TAS.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
To @Andaesthetics's point, this appears to be something different. In particular, note the bottom center of the camo'd bumper - it has a much sharper edge compared to the custom Z shown at TAS.
Oh, I agree completely. I don't think it's the concept fascia, at all. It actually more closely resembles that Sketch Monkey render, though maybe not quite as wide at the lower corners.

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
well for sure the big opening on the bottom can not change cause it was done for the needed air flow

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
Nismo wheels a slightly bigger in the rear.

370Z Nismo wheels:
Front 19x9.5
Rear 19x10.5

Z Performance wheels:
Front 19x9.5
Rear 19x10
So this is a typo...

As I mentioned before the rear are the 16'+ 370Z Nismo wheels and the front look like the 19'+ 370Z Sport wheels

NissanFreak2021

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Infiniti G37
Occupation
Accountant
It appears that the corners where air ducts would be is heavily taped over, which makes me believe this section has been reworked. I'm still leaning Nismo.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Let's hope that it's not that fascia. At least not exactly that fascia.

It isn't that bisecting the air dam cannot work, stylistically. In my view (and only mine, potentially), this is the issue with the concept from Tokyo - the mismatched angles and curvatures at the outer edges of the upper and lower environments simply do not work from a cohesive design perspective.

It looks like an aftermarket kit rather than a factory design. Amend that, and I can see it playing pretty well.

Fairlady Concept Bumper.JPG
I agree…don’t like it…the Zs is better in my opinion.
Everyone has different thoughts though, I guess that’s what makes the world spin 🤣

OP
OP
because_murica

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
Oh, I agree completely. I don't think it's the concept fascia, at all. It actually more closely resembles that Sketch Monkey render, though maybe not quite as wide at the lower corners.
The interesting thing about Sketch Monkey's work as well as the camo car is that both feature a sharper nose that more or less matches the length and angle of the lower splitter. The camo car, however, has a horrendous cut out for a license plate.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
The interesting thing about Sketch Monkey's work as well as the camo car is that both feature a sharper nose that more or less matches the length and angle of the lower splitter. The camo car, however, has a horrendous cut out for a license plate.
Oh, that cutout is atrocious. Fortunately, they aren't required in FL, but even in states where they are, I would mount it from the tow hook (assuming that wouldn't interfere too much with the amount of air for the dam).

I agree about the nose, to an extent, but some angles of the finished design do show that detail. It's maybe just not as pronounced as he made it. Looks dope in his render, though, and I wouldn't mind it being a more prominent feature (maybe recess the grill slightly):

1658506377826.png

StrikeS30

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
78 280Z, 76 280Z, 88 300zx
I'm not too sure on this one. Could just be playing around with one of the early test models. The badges are still covered. The side skirt is duct taped. Could just be heavy camo, plate relocated to the front side of the camo, and a whole lot of flex seal tape holding it together.. so I'm guessing this is just a clapped out old test model

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
I'm not too sure on this one. Could just be playing around with one of the early test models. The badges are still covered. The side skirt is duct taped. Could just be heavy camo, plate relocated to the front side of the camo, and a whole lot of flex seal tape holding it together.. so I'm guessing this is just a clapped out old test model
I'm with you on that. It seems less likely that there is a new design floating around than there just being a camouflaged test mule still running.

G37

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
G37S Coupe 6MT, Q50S Hybrid, MDX
Occupation
Self
I agree…don’t like it…the Zs is better in my opinion.
Everyone has different thoughts though, I guess that’s what makes the world spin 🤣
Bear in mind the camo car’s fascia is awkwardly taped up. But that’s not at issue if it is the Fairlady’s grille since we’ve already seen it undisguised. That said, I’ve circled the gaping maw, a much larger concern (figuratively AND literally) than the minor cut line differences in the Fairlady’s split grille. Seriously? Those minor angular differences? THEY bother you? That’s splitting hairs. I’m amazed anyone would consider the Z’s maw, universally considered its worst feature, preferable to the Fairlady’s grille which was universally praised as an improvement when it debuted. We all know the expression, “I can’t believe my eyes”, but in this case, I can’t believe yours. I don’t think Nissan’s grille choice - whichever it is on whichever models - will sway anyone’s purchase decision. There are much bigger fish to fry, such as the need for standard Michelins on ALL trims, a third trim level (Sport+LSD+brakes), and a hopefully a Nismo as well. We’re all on the same team here, team Z, so I guess we just have to agree to disagree.
9C26920F-D27A-4427-87C1-0FE7C5300EB0.jpeg

Last edited:

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
Those minor angular differences? THEY bother you? That’s splitting hairs. I’m amazed anyone would consider the Z’s maw, universally considered its worst feature, preferable to the Fairlady’s grille which was universally praised as an improvement when it debuted.
9C26920F-D27A-4427-87C1-0FE7C5300EB0.jpeg
First - yes, they absolutely do. It looks amateur, like an aftermarket design wherein overall design cohesiveness was not a consideration. It isn't a bad idea, it's a poor execution.

1658510483929.png

On the second point, citation needed as it relates to the "improvement" consideration. Maybe don't use the word "universally" since that's a tough nut to crack, rhetorically. You could instead say something like "many considered this concept's fascia to be an improvement over the production model," which would have the benefit of being accurate to one extent or another. Otherwise it sounds as though you are extrapolating your own perspective to, well, literally everyone else.

You've made your preference clear (many times, if I'm not mistaken) for this alternative fascia. And you can see there is simply disagreement amongst the Z faithful as to its merits relative to the production model.

G37

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
G37S Coupe 6MT, Q50S Hybrid, MDX
Occupation
Self
First - yes, they absolutely do. It looks amateur, like an aftermarket design wherein overall design cohesiveness was not a consideration. It isn't a bad idea, it's a poor execution.

1658510483929.png

On the second point, citation needed as it relates to the "improvement" consideration. Maybe don't use the word "universally" since that's a tough nut to crack, rhetorically. You could instead say something like "many considered this concept's fascia to be an improvement over the production model," which would have the benefit of being accurate to one extent or another. Otherwise it sounds as though you are extrapolating your own perspective to, well, literally everyone else.

You've made your preference clear (many times, if I'm not mistaken) for this alternative fascia. And you can see there is simply disagreement amongst the Z faithful as to its merits relative to the production model.
Sure, execution could’ve been better, but not by much. Citation? Read car magazine articles both in print and online from several years ago up through the present. “Universally” in this case means is maybe the wrong word. “The vast majority” is more accurate. My apologies. Of those that commented on the Z’s design, comments on the gaping maw grille were largely negative. That said, I agree with your idea of having those angles line up better, but the front view you show here doesn’t strengthen your argument as the disparate angles you mentioned aren’t as pronounced as in the front three-quarter view where they were circled. And while there is disagreement among fans, it’s definitely not widespread as I imagine you might want to imply. .

Last edited:

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
Sure, execution could’ve been better, but not by much. I agree I like your idea of having those angles line up better. And while there is disagreement among fans, it’s definitely not widespread as I imagine you might want to imply. The front view you show here doesn’t strengthen your argument as the disparate angles you mentioned aren’t as pronounced as in the front three-quarter view where they’re circled.
You mean to suggest that more people prefer the concept to the production fascia, overall? Again, citations would be needed. I'd imagine that it's pretty split, and I don't know if many who dislike the concept are putting as fine a point on the exact "why" of it all as I am.

Oh, I don't intend to only supply information that specifically reinforces my perspective - I would rather provide all available information so that the point is not being distorted by omission of evidence. I dislike it just as much from the straight-on view as from the 3/4, though the 3/4 angle makes it look significantly worse to me.

OP
OP
because_murica

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
It appears that the corners where air ducts would be is heavily taped over, which makes me believe this section has been reworked. I'm still leaning Nismo.
Y'all can laugh all you want at this, but I posted this last week in the Photoshop thread. I didn't intend for it to come out this way, but my phone's editing software generated what look like side intakes/ducts. Check it out:

20220712_184129.jpg