First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
Realistically, bullshit aside - the only think keeping me out of a Supra is the fact it's a BMW motor (I did time with a N54) and the B58 "quirks and features" are starting to pop up in the 240s and 440s.......only a matter of time until the Supra and Z4 stars feeling them too.

The biggest issue was fixed, it'll have a stick (with rev match to boot!)

I'm seriously going to test drive a stick Supra when they finally drop.......see how it feels.
I did 3 years with a modded n54 I believe it to be one of the top engines in in the last couple decades. The problem was people who threw on the power without the supporting work and parts or catching up on Maintenance.

The B58 is handling the power unbelievably well. The only people i know with issues: one accidently hydro locked when his meth tank emptied its self. Couple others are leaning out because they are not spending money on supporting the need for more fuel. And sketchy bargain basement "tunes" Other than that it is really strong.
I have 17k miles- hard road track only b58 at mild 500hp and no issues. knocking on wood

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
What if they made a 42k spec with brakes and LSD? Like at what point is the price right?
They should have 2-3 REAL trims. Not 1 real trim and then 2 generic "Sport" and "Proto" trims.

A REAL sport trim
- Everything it currently has
- Akebono Brakes the Performance has
- LSD the performance trim has
- Priced at ~$45k

Performance trim
- Brembo 6-pistons like the Proto had when they originally unveiled the car
- 415 HP
- Still priced at $50k

Proto trim
- Brembo 6-pistons
- 425 HP
- Still priced the same if not slightly more than $53k

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
I did 3 years with a modded n54 I believe it to be one of the top engines in in the last couple decades. The problem was people who threw on the power without the supporting work and parts or catching up on Maintenance.
O RLY?

2011 Z4 35i w/ DCT, ///M Sport Package that included the ///M Adaptive Suspension and Exhaust (basically it was a 35is before 35is was available) bought it CPO in Jan 2016 with a whopping 32k on the clock for $27k - a fucking cream puff that had every possible option a Z4 came with.......14 speakers and all. Was even celebrity owned prior to me.

I changed oil religiously every 3k miles, Motul 300v (yeah, I'm that guy)

Before I tuned/FBO at 35k miles I walnut blasted and then I learned you had to add Coils and Plugs every other oil change - no biggie......cost of a "BMW" I figured.

Aluminum Chargepipe w/ HKS SSQV BOV (JDM roots yo), 7" core intercooler, Intakes, Silicone I/O (waste of money, I know now), Catless downpipes, Stock exhaust with Golf Tee mod (Z4s w/ M Exhaust didn't need an exhaust - they were pretty unrestrictive and Supra sounding), MHD tuned and I crammed the widest wheels you could under it and wrapped them in PS4S.

When it ran right, it was heaven on earth. I was the only Z4 in "Mexico" and I broke hearts at Gapplebees many a night and I took thing to Tail of the Dragon/Cherohalla/Moonshiner

Longest stretch of time I had that car problem free was 4 months, I still have flashbacks of 30FF codes and the Ding.

I bought an 89 S13 Hatch with 240k on the clock for $600 back in '05 that gave me LESS problems. My FD was the bastion of reliability vs my E89.

Last edited:

2017370ZBlack

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z 6MT & 2015 Xterra Pro-4X
Realistically, bullshit aside - the only think keeping me out of a Supra is the fact it's a BMW motor (I did time with a N54) and the B58 "quirks and features" are starting to pop up in the 240s and 440s.......only a matter of time until the Supra and Z4 stars feeling them too.

The biggest issue was fixed, it'll have a stick (with rev match to boot!)

I'm seriously going to test drive a stick Supra when they finally drop.......see how it feels.
I bet they make very small quantities of them. We'll see how it turns out.

zeeder

First Name
Zack
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'13 370Z ST 6MT
They went back and forth with package configurations on the 370. I bet next year there will be an equivalent "sport" package to the 370 at around $44K.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
They went back and forth with package configurations on the 370. I bet next year there will be an equivalent "sport" package to the 370 at around $44K.
Very true. The 370Z went through many different trim structures through the years so I do expect that this binary idea will not stick for long. I think it was just the simplest way to get this vehicle launched while still being able to claim that it's a "sub-$40,000 car," even if that's kind of misleading.

Such is the nature of advertising.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
O RLY?

2011 Z4 35i w/ DCT, ///M Sport Package that included the ///M Adaptive Suspension and Exhaust (basically it was a 35is before 35is was available) bought it CPO in Jan 2016 with a whopping 32k on the clock for $27k - a fucking cream puff that had every possible option a Z4 came with.......14 speakers and all. Was even celebrity owned prior to me.

I changed oil religiously every 3k miles, Motul 300v (yeah, I'm that guy)

Before I tuned/FBO at 35k miles I walnut blasted and then I learned you had to add Coils and Plugs every other oil change - no biggie......cost of a "BMW" I figured.

Aluminum Chargepipe w/ HKS SSQV BOV (JDM roots yo), 7" core intercooler, Intakes, Silicone I/O (waste of money, I know now), Catless downpipes, Stock exhaust with Golf Tee mod (Z4s w/ M Exhaust didn't need an exhaust - they were pretty unrestrictive and Supra sounding), MHD tuned and I crammed the widest wheels you could under it and wrapped them in PS4S.

When it ran right, it was heaven on earth. I was the only Z4 in "Mexico" and I broke hearts at Gapplebees many a night and I took thing to Tail of the Dragon/Cherohalla/Moonshiner

Longest stretch of time I had that car problem free was 4 months, I still have flashbacks of 30FF codes and the Ding.

I bought an 89 S13 Hatch with 240k on the clock for $600 back in '05 that gave me LESS problems. My FD was the bastion of reliability vs my E89.
Celebrity owned means the oil was never changed 🤣

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
I have a totally different perspective than many of y'all:

The new Z is significantly faster than the old one, not just faster than the old 7AT, but the new 6MT is a hypersonic missile compared to the old 6MT.

The new Z 6MT is even faster than my Q60, so for that I'd be smitten.

116 mph after spinning 2 gears and chirping 3rd sounds just like typical Nissan inability to lay down the power. Even better tires may not totally solve that issue, but it'd probably be nose to nose with the BMW. I was totally expecting that, knowing Nissan.

Had the Z beaten the BMW it would only have been 6 months before BMW released a return to gain 30-40hp. Nissan will likely leave the Z at 400 for many years.

I only consider Japanese cars. So, that leaves me few choices. The new Z is by far the fastest Japanese car I can afford. I don't drive in such a manner, such as on a track, to notice the disparity to better cars. On the street, the new Z is going to be ridiculously fast. Too fast for public roads.

The price doesn't bother me, I've been looking at $85k Tundra SR-5's lately. It's called inflation, and he we are. Better ask for a raise or reconsider how you vote.
I'm not bothered by the Z dragstrip loss. I enjoy my current BRZ for the price, and a new Z will have significantly more power. As long at the new Z handles and has a good connection as my BRZ. And there is something to be said for a heck of a nice looking vehicle, as the Z is (personal opinion).

What bothers me is the combo of 51k price (Seiren Blue) and likelihood of not getting the Z for 51k until maybe 2024 (due to scarcity and ADM). And by then maybe MSRP has increased further.

Bottom line and sign of the times - a car I am essentially unable to get - is not much good to me. Even if I wanted the Sport version, highly doubt I could find it anytime soon at 41k.:(

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
Celebrity owned means the oil was never changed 🤣
She actually knew how to take it to the dealer at the maintenance intervals, she even forked over the prepaid maintenance (which transferred over to me via CPO)

Before the Z4 I was one of those that wouldn't touch a Euro with a 10 foot pole because of how unreliable they are. A buddy of mine has a crippling AMG addiction and he's thrown so much money out the window it's not funny.

I figured "CPO, low miles, has records, pre paid maintenance, Bumper to Bumper warranty (that saved me multiple times) - How bad could it be?!"

When it goes down, it's down for a month - I put more miles on loaners than I did my own car.
It goes down often because it's fragile.
It's not the motor you have to worry about, it's everything else surrounding it.
I couldn't work on the damned thing myself 1/2 the time, BMW really does have a lot of custom tools for dumb shit.
Too electronic for it's own good.

It was great when it ran right, that wasn't often.

Last edited:

White_turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
My point is that looking those times is irrelevant in my view as enthusiast (as I assume most others on here are as well) since 1. I never keep anything stock, 2. so many variables can change those times. To your point, anything can be made better with $$$, and yes most buyers will not touch the car. However, you can upgrade the intakes sans tune and lower those times. Is it slower off the showroom floor than a Supra? Yes, that's clear. Do enthusiasts such as myself really care since we're going to likely spend $10k-$15k on top of the purchase price? Not at all.
And there is the problem right there. For the "enthusiast", this car is not really hitting the right notes on paper from both price and performance for a sports car so there are arguably better options for these people. For the casual car buyer, your straight line performance (as I said before 99% of the people just care about that) is underwhelming compared to similarly priced competitors. So what demographics is Nissan really targeting here?

I understand these are just initial reviews and the car could be really good. I do hope the actual track performance, this car would defy physics like the GTR did, but I am just not holding my breath. One thing they got it right though is to have a proper LSD on the performance trim anyways.

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
The 6MT , What a turd

Screenshot 2022-05-15 220339.jpg

Very disappointing
There was a time not all that long ago that the Shelby GT500 blasting a 1/4 mile in 12.4s @ 115.8 mph was completely legit. It's amazing how quickly that sentiment has changed.

I think we know what will happen to this car on the track against the competition. Look how it lists on the road in reviews, and even how it bows like a boat under acceleration. And those tires lol.

For the others, there are two views on modding:

Wow, car is a great value, and mods will make it better.

And...

Well, just do this, this, and this, and it will be just as good if not slightly better despite the price being the same as those others.

I know car lovers make irrational decisions, but yeah.

Design killed it. Looks amazing. Everything else, is not.
There are car lovers also incapable of making a rational assessment of an car's entire capability set after watching a single quarter mile drag race against two other cars better equipped for drag racing.

You know Nissan is reading this right?
I agree with you. The 40k price was for tuners who want a base car. They should have had an in between. My guess is that will happen.
I owned three different 370Zs - a 40th Anniversary, a '13 Sport, and a '13 Sport Touring. (Life events took the '13 sport from me, hence the second '13). My favorite trim was the '13 Sport - it had all the stuff a sports car needed and nothing you didn't. I preferred the cloth seats to the leather ones because they held you in place better when cornering hard. The only time I ever bought leather interior in any of my vehicles was because it was required to get some other feature I wanted. (Example - In my Titan, I have leather because I wanted the sunroof and around view camera and would not concede on those two features.)

Before the pricing and trims were made public, I told myself I would purchase the sport equivalent if that trim was available, or I needed to get the performance-oriented bits in a Z for around $45k for it to make sense to me. I will absolutely buy a Z if it comes to market in that configuration. For now, I will wait and see what happens. I'm not in a rush.

I'm in that pool where the Z is a third car for me. It will not be a daily driver. It doesn't need the luxury bits - I have cooled seats, leather, premium audio in my Titan. Fast Intentions will be my soundtrack in my Z. I want the LSD, synchro rev match, Rays wheels, and Akebonos in my Z. I'll mod the rest. If I can divorce myself from synchro rev match, then I'll just buy a base and put 6 pot brembos and a quaife into it and call it a day - I'll find some kid who bought some hellaflush bullshit wheels for his Z and putting his Rays wheels on ebay for next to nothing to cap it off.

NecioVato

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370z Nismo 6MT
Occupation
web developer
I just can't see spending 50 grand and losing out the box, as much as I hate to admit it the Supra is looking like a better value and it's going to be a hell of a lot cheaper to mod.

But with the Supra comes BMW reliability...... Not sure if I'm willing to go down that road again.

Nine times out of 10 I'm probably about to jump my ass back in line for a C8 or wait for the bubble to burst and car prices to go back to normal.
Today was a big letdown - I mean, this was to be the ‘Supra Killer’ and put Nissan back into ‘relevancy‘ - but it looks like it is not. The one thing that does come to mind and watching several videos (like we all have) on the Z - it looks like Nissan is making this more of a ‘tuner’ car than what the 370z was in that money was spared in things such as the exhaust - bc we all know we will wind up modifying that into something from Fast Intentions or similar brand.

Regardless - I am thinking if I were to look at the new Z - I would lean more toward the base model and look to spend the $12K to modify it to my liking - such as exhaust, wheels and tires and bigger brakes; and probably have quite a bit leftover for performance mods on top it.

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
There was a time not all that long ago that the Shelby GT500 blasting a 1/4 mile in 12.4s @ 115.8 mph was completely legit. It's amazing how quickly that sentiment has changed.

There are car lovers also incapable of making a rational assessment of an car's entire capability set after watching a single quarter mile drag race against two other cars better equipped for drag racing.

I owned three different 370Zs - a 40th Anniversary, a '13 Sport, and a '13 Sport Touring. (Life events took the '13 sport from me, hence the second '13). My favorite trim was the '13 Sport - it had all the stuff a sports car needed and nothing you didn't. I preferred the cloth seats to the leather ones because they held you in place better when cornering hard. The only time I ever bought leather interior in any of my vehicles was because it was required to get some other feature I wanted. (Example - In my Titan, I have leather because I wanted the sunroof and around view camera and would not concede on those two features.)

Before the pricing and trims were made public, I told myself I would purchase the sport equivalent if that trim was available, or I needed to get the performance-oriented bits in a Z for around $45k for it to make sense to me. I will absolutely buy a Z if it comes to market in that configuration. For now, I will wait and see what happens. I'm not in a rush.

I'm in that pool where the Z is a third car for me. It will not be a daily driver. It doesn't need the luxury bits - I have cooled seats, leather, premium audio in my Titan. Fast Intentions will be my soundtrack in my Z. I want the LSD, synchro rev match, Rays wheels, and Akebonos in my Z. I'll mod the rest. If I can divorce myself from synchro rev match, then I'll just buy a base and put 6 pot brembos and a quaife into it and call it a day - I'll find some kid who bought some hellaflush bullshit wheels for his Z and putting his Rays wheels on ebay for next to nothing to cap it off.
What do you think a quaife or similar LSD would cost ballpark, for purchase and install? I thought I read somewhere, the new Z LSD is of the clutch pack variety. So maybe a case could be made for a Sport with better performing aftermarket LSD.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier

I think a lot of people are missing the point. I'm fine with the Z's performance, but at that price point ($50k) I'm not, especially compared to the competition at that price point. At $40-45k I wouldn't hesitate one bit to buy a performance model.