Does anyone actually want an automatic?

Twizzty

First Name
Bones
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Camaro 1SS 1LE
Completely wrong. I've had a 200sx turbo for nearly 25 years and never floored it on public roads. That's dangerous, irresponsible, childish, and done by the moronically stupid. :mad: Everyone caught doing that should not only have their licence permanently removed, but their car also instantly confiscated and crushed.

A few years ago some moron doing just that to show off crashed off the road and only narrowly missed a group of school girls waiting at a bus stop. Another moron in a night street race meet caused a girl to need to have her legs amputated after crashing into her.

If you want to drive fast, take it to a track where it belongs (and where anyone in a standard Z will get their ass handed to them on a plate by all those driving the more expensive faster cars).
That's a weak troll. There's a time and place for everything and to say you've never gone WOT on a public road is hilarious. So going WOT = street racing to you...lol ok got it. I also like that you equate more expensive, faster cars to getting your ass handed to you when it's actually the driver and not the car that makes the biggest difference on track. Normally, one of the first lessons is getting schooled by someone with half the HP you have and it's great!

Carry on!

Last edited:

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
If you want to drive fast, take it to a track where it belongs (and where anyone in a standard Z will get their ass handed to them on a plate by all those driving the more expensive faster cars).
False statement, you should know not to generalize like that.

I've been tracking for years, why I'm able to safely use full throttle often when the situation calls for.

Too many stupid stunts on streets, that's fact, driver egos getting them, passengers, and/or bystanders killed!

Try some track days, most are safely monitored, beginner groups have classroom and lead-follow lapping, learning lines, braking, apex turns, safety etc. For the price paid for the entire day it's worth it. You WILL learn car control at limits. No need to do any of this on streets.

Last edited:

NJZGuy

First Name
Barry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 Nissan 370Z
Occupation
IT Technical Support
Posts like this are very common in sports cars, heck even muscle cars, forums. It's never definitive, what each really 'wants' as their own preferences, really.

Let's throw in another factor, if the Z is avail with a true dual-clutch (DCT, PDK) auto, that might be more game-changer for manual buyers. Sadly the Z only comes with a slushbox, i.e. torque convertor, auto. Down and upshifts will never be as quick as DCT. OTOH the 9 speed is totally fine for a daily driver.

Now, comparing against EVs with their instant torque capabilities are kind of fruitless, EVs will always win on straight line pulls, only few exotics can match. This won't get any better for ICEs in the future, we all know it.
Had Nissan decided to redesign the Z completely from the ground up the way General Motors did the mid-engine C8 Corvette, they might have been able to go with a DCT--but then the Z would never have come in at the existing price point that it did.

Given Nissan's financial struggles and them probably not wanting the potential of cutting into their GT-R sales with a lower-cost alternative--like a NISMO Z with a DCT--it makes sense that Nissan found it more financially feasible to reboot and update the 370Z and offer a manual and automatic.

Most manual buyers would still prefer a manual. Even though a DCT gives you the absolute best of both worlds, the additional complexity and cost of a DCT over a conventional manual transmission would serve a a deterrent to some.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
Which is exactly what I said - if you want to drive fast, take it to the track where it belongs.
To be fair, you've said quite a few things, many of which were silly and some of which made sense. Applying full throttle does not equate to "driving fast" and isn't an inherently "track only" action, for example. That was a silly position to take. Recklessly speeding, however, definitely is something to avoid on the street; though you could argue that it's best to avoid that on the track, as well, since recklessness is just best avoided, in general.

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
One thing to consider regarding speed, is speed limits are up to 80 mph in some US states. So effectively the driver could be looking at 90 mph or higher on a clear road. With that in mind, calculated based on Nissan provided specs, the following should be the cruising RPM at 90 mph for the manual vs automatic Z:

manual (29" tire diameter/ 0.795 top trans gear/3.538 diff gear)
90 mph = 3150.24 rpm

automatic (29" tire diameter/ 0.597 top trans gear/3.133 diff gear)
90 mph = 2094.85 rpm

On a longer higher speed outing, the driver could be looking at the engine buzzing 1000rpm higher with the manual trans. Just something to factor in, if deciding between the two transmissions.

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
Applying full throttle does not equate to "driving fast"
So a car at full throttle is going slow?? Talk about insanely silly comments.

If you can't drive sensibly, get off the f'n public roads.

I'm done with this forum and it's too many argumentative morons. :(

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
So a car at full throttle is going slow?? Talk about insanely silly comments.

If you can't drive sensibly, get off the f'n public roads.

Do you... Do you just not understand the difference between acceleration and speed? Like, literally, in the truest sense? I really think you're just using incorrect terminology.

Your definition of "sensibly" driving is evidently *so rigid* that it limits throttle input on public roads to, what, anything other than wide open? At any time and for any duration? I'm quite confident you're alone on that particular island.

But yes, I'm sure you're right. Let's conclude that I'm (or we're, potentially) being ludicrous 😂

Bobcat

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Mustang GT
Occupation
nurse
I originally wanted an auto since they are almost always faster anymore and I use the remote start all the time. But the more I think about it a manual does seem to fit this car better and I have a garage now. I would have to get a 2nd car for the winter if I went with the manual though unless I could find a place that would install a remote start on it.

Reactions: Mud

morgand

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bus
I believe you lack self awareness.

Whilst I think you probably won't listen, perhaps slipping straight into denial and hostility, have you considered yourself to be the common element in these perceived arguments.

71zman

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
71 240z, 90 300zx, 23 ZProtoMT, 24 Z Nismo
I actually like the option of either Manual or Automatic. My 23 Proto and 71 240z are manual. My 24 Nismo Z, and 90 300zx are automatic. My reality is that it depends on how I feel that day and how much effort I want to put into my driving.
Love em all!!

IMG_2115.jpeg

MacCool

First Name
Mac
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Murano (wife), GMC2500HD (winter), 370Z, Z (soon)
Occupation
retired
I've had nine Z's since 1970, all MT except for the 280ZX Turbo. I put over 80,000 miles on my two 370Z's MT....grew to hate the notchy-ness of the 1 - 2 shift. I intentionally bought my RZ34 with the 9-speed auto. I love it...no regrets.

JimboZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Performance MT
Occupation
Retired
I have an automatic Z. I wish I had a manual because I miss the fun of shifting. My 70 year old hip and knee won't let me use a clutch for long. The automatic at least makes the Z still a fun car for an old guy. I guess this is a good reason the have the option.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
I actually like the option of either Manual or Automatic. My 23 Proto and 71 240z are manual. My 24 Nismo Z, and 90 300zx are automatic. My reality is that it depends on how I feel that day and how much effort I want to put into my driving.
Love em all!!

IMG_2115.jpeg
those grills be like...

😬 😁