Does anyone actually want an automatic?

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
^ Yes, "manual mode" ... hence the driver is changing the gears. In an automatic, the car is changing gears when it thinks it should. :rolleyes:

MHockey17

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Nissan 370Z NISMO, '01 Mitsu Eclipse GT
^ Yes, "manual mode" ... hence the driver is changing the gears. In an automatic, the car is changing gears when it thinks it should. :rolleyes:
I don’t get the impression anyone is trying to claim that the computer’s shift LOGIC is (always) superior to a human driver, rather that an AT’s shift SPEED is superior to a human with a MT.

Almost all AT sports cars are featured with a “manual mode” nowadays, even if the stock shift logic is cumbersome (can likely be fixed with a tune tho), a driver shifting manually in an AT will always be faster vs same driver shifting in an H-pattern MT of the same car, hence why those seeking peak performance beyond just driver engagement, the AT is the way to go.

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
^ Nobody was denying the shifting speed (at least for more modern automatics).

The original statement was that an automatic is faster than a human at changing gears. That statement implies "automatic" means the car is changing the gears.

But, my point has always been that ...
  1. Anyone planting their foot to do 4sec 0-60 times on public roads should have their driving licence revoked.

2. Race drivers do not use automatics (in the sense of the car changing gears as per the original statement). In some cases they do use automatics in "manual mode" or semi-automatics, where the driver is changing the gears, precisely because it gives them better control.

So in both cases, the fact that an automatic (changing itself) can change faster than a human (whether manual or "manual mode") is irrelevant. The exception would be in sprint run and drag races on a track where the entire point is to "just" plant your foot and go.

Besides which, the difference between the manual (with a skilled driver), the automatic in manual mode (with a skilled driver), and the fully automatic is measured in tenths of a second. :rolleyes:

Claiming you want an automatic road car because it can change faster than a human is either a case of option 1 above or someone simply wanting to brag in pointless a "mine's bigger than yours" style who won't ever be doing those 0-60 times anyway (and usually whinging because the Supra is faster, where 0-60 times are just as equally pointless).

relyt

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
CNC Machinist
And here (as posted by V35 in another topic) is what happens to the few such morons who do stupidly attempt it.

The morons get what they deserve ... the problem is they often kill someone else. :mad:
I went to high school with that guy. 😂

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
Anyone planting their foot to do 4sec 0-60 times on public roads should have their driving licence revoked.
🤣
Anyone planting their foot to do 4sec 0-60 times *in unsafe conditions or in an uncontrolled manner* on public roads should have their driving *license* revoked.

Fixed it for you.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dont ask
Occupation
Thread derailer
fwiw a lot of the fastest AutoX guys in the hated Zupra use sport mode and leave in Auto and concentrate on the other inputs
That is me. Can always flick the paddles if you dont like the choice the ecu made but its rare that its needed. Seems like its working just fine considering I am in 2nd place for season long points....

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
One good case for an auto....MPG

New Z should really come with a DCT.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I kinda mentioned it previously....

If big HP mods are in the cards, get the MT.

Nissan automatics are sketchy with extra power, and far more expensive to build out than a MT.

Do you really want to have to send off the 9AT for enhancements that may or may not be reliable?

The MT is simply clutch and flywheel. And no need to program a TCM. Easy peasy on a vehicle lift.

Although the 9AT can shuffle gears faster, I'd bet you could get a 6MT to pull harder in each gear when modded.

If that's your thing.

I have no intention of modding a Z too much, so just something that might be considered for some people.....

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
Anyone that has a sports car and says they haven't floored it on a public road is a liar!

It's just that simple.
Completely wrong. I've had a 200sx turbo for nearly 25 years and never floored it on public roads. That's dangerous, irresponsible, childish, and done by the moronically stupid. :mad: Everyone caught doing that should not only have their licence permanently removed, but their car also instantly confiscated and crushed.

A few years ago some moron doing just that to show off crashed off the road and only narrowly missed a group of school girls waiting at a bus stop. Another moron in a night street race meet caused a girl to need to have her legs amputated after crashing into her.

If you want to drive fast, take it to a track where it belongs (and where anyone in a standard Z will get their ass handed to them on a plate by all those driving the more expensive faster cars).

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer
I kinda mentioned it previously....

If big HP mods are in the cards, get the MT.

Nissan automatics are sketchy with extra power, and far more expensive to build out than a MT.

Do you really want to have to send off the 9AT for enhancements that may or may not be reliable?

The MT is simply clutch and flywheel. And no need to program a TCM. Easy peasy on a vehicle lift.

Although the 9AT can shuffle gears faster, I'd bet you could get a 6MT to pull harder in each gear when modded.

If that's your thing.

I have no intention of modding a Z too much, so just something that might be considered for some people.....
The new Z has an Exedy clutch, so even that may not need to be upgraded.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
Completely wrong. I've had a 200sx turbo for nearly 25 years and never floored it on public roads. That's dangerous, irresponsible, childish, and done by the moronically stupid. :mad: Everyone caught doing that should not only have their licence permanently removed, but their car also instantly confiscated and crushed.

A few years ago some moron doing just that to show off crashed off the road and only narrowly missed a group of school girls waiting at a bus stop. Another moron in a night street race meet caused a girl to need to have her legs amputated after crashing into her.

If you want to drive fast, take it to a track where it belongs (and where anyone in a standard Z will get their ass handed to them on a plate by all those driving the more expensive faster cars).
Yes, because this isn't a massive false-equivalency. Come on, man, he wasn't referring specifically to street racing. It really seems like you are either deliberately misinterpreting this or being obtuse because you have a particular bone to pick with...something.

That you have never applied full throttle in any vehicle - at any time - on a public road places you in the vast, vast, vast minority not only of sports car owners, but automobile drivers full-stop. I cannot say what your specific issue with that commonplace action (freeway on-ramp, passing situations, etc) might be, but let's not pretend that yours is the only sensible position on the matter. There's no need to proselytize because you have an aversion to this.