Break-in period

Maximus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
I just picked up my Z the other night and was wondering what, if any, is the break-in period before I can really start to drive the car a little harder. Don’t mind the bow in the hood….lol
Thanks,
Chris
4A0AB96B-6FA4-41B8-BD9A-E837D0EB2AEB.jpeg

Last edited:

SavedByFaith_

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Z Nismo
Typically want to maintain RPMs between 2k - 4k (most important when on the highway/interstate to not just cruise the RPMs), for the first 1000-1500 mi.
To each their own on the milegae for break-in.

I personally will be going for 1500kms (up here in Canada)

Thereafter, next 100-200mi should be "slow pulls"
Meaning it's okay to go over the 4k, but dont hammer down and reach that redline right away. Want to build up that 4k - 7k RPM within the 100-200mi.

Hope this helps bud!

Congrats on your Z!!

OP
OP
Maximus

Maximus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
Typically want to maintain RPMs between 2k - 4k (most important when on the highway/interstate to not just cruise the RPMs), for the first 1000-1500 mi.

Meaning it's okay to go over the 4k, but dont hammer down and reach that redline right away. Want to build up that 4k - 7k RPM within the 100-200mi.

Hope this helps bud!

Congrats on your Z!!
Thanks dude….appreciate the help. I did kind of slip on the way home from the dealership and did a mildly aggressive pull….but just once.
Looks like you got white….I would’ve given my left arm if I could’ve found what I wanted in white but just couldn’t. There’s always vinyl I guess.
Thanks again,
Chris

ec15

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A few
I just picked up my Z the other night and was wondering what, if any, is the break-in period before Jk can really start to drive the car a little harder. Don’t mind the bow in the hood….lol
Thanks,
Chris

Does it say anything the manual?
You are one of the few with that has the new Z. You are going to have to do your own research. Can't rely on others cause no one has it.

OP
OP
Maximus

Maximus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
Does it say anything the manual?
You are one of the few with that has the new Z. You are going to have to do your own research. Can't rely on others cause no one has it.
Wow I really never really thought about either of your points….I’ll check the manual

SavedByFaith_

First Name
Stephen
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Z Nismo
Thanks dude….appreciate the help. I did kind of slip on the way home from the dealership and did a mildly aggressive pull….but just once.
Looks like you got white….I would’ve given my left arm if I could’ve found what I wanted in white but just couldn’t. There’s always vinyl I guess.
Thanks again,
Chris
Haha - you're good for a small pull here or there
Honestly, i was eyeing the Boulder Gray, but White was my second choice.

But yea, check the manual for sure as EC15 points out.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Wow I really never really thought about either of your points….I’ll check the manual
Again Congrats! Break-in should be similar to the Red Sport. Of course check the manual. Actually, to make the engine more flexible it's fine to do quick pulls once in a while during that time, just don't hit the rev limiter. Don't baby that motor, use the rev range, variety of rpm. That first oil change is important.

Thisguy298

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 GTI

Hope this helps bud!

Congrats on your Z!!
Some people say to not even bother with a break in period. Meanwhile, dudes with C8 Z06s that are doing hard pulls immediately are blowing up their engines. Not an apples to apples, but I wouldn't be surprised if the VR30 exploded under high stress early in its life. This advice you gave is good stuff; should do that for every new car.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
There was a Performance Z at my dealership for $10k over and over 300 miles on the odometer.

You can bet that new engine was flogged.
With the new Z having a shorter warranty than it's Infiniti cousins, there's no way I'd consider it knowing it may have been abused in it's early life. No telling how the VR handles early abuse.

Best to take it easy for a bit....

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Infiniti Q50, 2023 Nissan Z Preformance
I agree. I drive mine like it’s made of glass lol. Been under 3000 rpm most of the time. I was thinking 2000km mark I will push it harder

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Again Congrats! Break-in should be similar to the Red Sport. Of course check the manual. Actually, to make the engine more flexible it's fine to do quick pulls once in a while during that time, just don't hit the rev limiter. Don't baby that motor, use the rev range, variety of rpm. That first oil change is important.
One mechanic who has experience said to change the oil by 2000kms (not sure in Miles) to get the gunk out. Not sure how true that is

LZ23

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z
One mechanic who has experience said to change the oil by 2000kms (not sure in Miles) to get the gunk out. Not sure how true that is
I don't see any point in babying the car.The car would have been redlined already at the factory before shipping.I have had a Z28,Supra and a 350z all bought new and never paid any attention to that.Never had any issues with the motors in fact the 2003 350z is still running around town and has never had any mechanical issue except window motors.I agree that changing the oil around 1500kms to 2000kms is important.

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I don't see any point in babying the car.The car would have been redlined already at the factory before shipping.I have had a Z28,Supra and a 350z all bought new and never paid any attention to that.Never had any issues with the motors in fact the 2003 350z is still running around town and has never had any mechanical issue except window motors.I agree that changing the oil around 1500kms to 2000kms is important.
They’re different engines. Maybe this one needs babying lol.

I’ll change the oil at 2000k

StrikeS30

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
78 280Z, 76 280Z, 88 300zx
They’re different engines. Maybe this one needs babying lol.

I’ll change the oil at 2000k
Either way, it's going to be tough not to have a little fun, especially in our short driving seasons in Canada. I'll try to get as many miles as I can on it when I get it (weather permitting) But, doing intakes/exhaust and such is going to make it even harder to keep restraint haha.

I'll more than likely drive it kind of normally, but being mindful of not to really give'r. Oil change I will probably have done after the first 1-1500k, then again around the 2500-3k mark. Then onto probably once per driving season depending on milage during the season

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Either way, it's going to be tough not to have a little fun, especially in our short driving seasons in Canada. I'll try to get as many miles as I can on it when I get it (weather permitting) But, doing intakes/exhaust and such is going to make it even harder to keep restraint haha.

I'll more than likely drive it kind of normally, but being mindful of not to really give'r. Oil change I will probably have done after the first 1-1500k, then again around the 2500-3k mark. Then onto probably once per driving season depending on milage during the season
2 in in that short period of time?