First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Getting the auto this time. Didn't care for the clutch action in the 370Z; total crap compared to Porsche, Honda/Acura and Mazda. Add the CSC issue that doesn't seem to have been addressed, and it's a no-brainer for me.
Are we sure the CSC issue is not fixed by this time? Of course wondering if we have to deal with it, not fun.

Datsun280Z

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 Mustang GT/CS, 1962 Triumph TR3A
Occupation
High School Teacher
That argument is way too outdated my friend. Get a short shifter and you will be just as fast
For a Z car, or in general?

280driver

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1975 280Z 5-speed, 2020 Toyota Sequoia TRD Pro
Iā€™ve just read some reviews on the ā€˜22 Frontier. Doesnā€™t sound like the 9-speed unit in them is ready for prime time. They say it constantly hunts for gears. Sure hope the unit in the new Z has different programming but not sounding great Iā€™m afraid.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
Stick, all the way - no questions....I miss stick

All my cars were stick until I got a Z4 35i, DCT is an acceptable compromise IMO.

I'm in hell with my Q50's Jatco 7spd, "Tranny Lag" is a real thing and the paddles are there just to make you feel better.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Supra MkV, 370Z 6MT
Occupation
Frigginā€™ Scientist
Iā€™ll go manual. The A90 is auto, so got that covered. The transmission used to be non-negotiable manual only, but my GTI and Supra made me realize that you can have a whole lot of fun un an auto. My first 370z was auto, the current a manual.

that said, I do enjoy rowing. Iā€™m not going to race anyone, so that it is slower is no longer an issue.

OP
OP
2JZ-No-Sh*t

2JZ-No-Sh*t

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
My feet
A manual of course! I would only get an auto if I had some kind of disability that would prevent me from growing my own gears.
Not to make fun of anyone, but there was a guy over on MKV forum that brought the Zupra for that very reason.

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
Iā€™ll go manual. The A90 is auto, so got that covered. The transmission used to be non-negotiable manual only, but my GTI and Supra made me realize that you can have a whole lot of fun un an auto. My first 370z was auto, the current a manual.

that said, I do enjoy rowing. Iā€™m not going to race anyone, so that it is slower is no longer an issue.
The german (BMW/Audi) auto's are really good. I'm in same boat as you; I love love my Audi S4 8speed; Once the transmission is tuned, the shift logic, and speeds are increased, and the lag is pretty much gone (very similar to how quick the DCT is).
As long as the shift delay's are gone with the new 9speed, it should be a good contender with the Zupra's 8speed, but doubt it'll be better as the 8speed is tried and true with years of BMW tuning, with now adding the toyota touch to it. Regardless, 9speed should theoretically be better then the outgoing ancient 7speed.

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
That ZF 8 speed is legit, that's the ONLY torque converter automatic I would ever consider owning in a sports car.

Actually driving The Zupra made me a believer, it's truly as snappy as an actual DCT.
I would at least have to test drive the automatic if Nissan put a ZF transmission into it. Might even consider it as I'm more banged up from life than I used to be. However I have only ever had manual Zs, and I have my Titan for when I want to be lazy, use adaptive cruise in traffic, and leave 19 C4 cans in my cupholders.

Zupra88

First Name
Cody
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z, 2022 F-150 Lariat
Occupation
Nursing Home Administrator
I'm going auto transmission as well. Won't be a daily for me, but auto is much easier in traffic and on road trips. I've driven a few Mercedes vehicles and the 9g-tronic is quite fun. Plus, autos are faster than manuals. You can't out shift a computer, especially the newer ones.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I thoroughly enjoyed the DSG in my 2016 GTI.
I pretty much hate the 7AT in my Q60.
So, I'm not against an AT, and I'd like to get the last of a dying breed.
I know the 9AT will definitely be faster than the 6MT, however I will need to test drive one first to see how the 9AT behaves. I am 99% going for a 6MT, unless the 9AT is impressive, which I kind of doubt.

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Infiniti Q50, 2023 Nissan Z Preformance
Iā€™m older now in a busy city. Iā€™m going to with auto. Plus, my wife canā€™t drive manual.

Had my fun with manuals back in the day. I get why Most would want the manual.