This Seems Like A Pretty Fair Assessment Of The Z From Car and Driver

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Gen 4 Tundras also got all all-new chassis and multi-link rear suspension on top of the FI engine, plus a huge boost in towing and payload capacity.
I know. But, they also waited long enough to do it!

There's a lot of padding going on with trucks, even an all new model. Manufacturers profit significantly from truck sales. Trucks are easier to engineer and build than complicated little unibody vehicles.

FBD

First Name
FBD
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
90 300ZX 93 300ZX Roadster 14 370Z StillenRoadster
I agree that the z will sell like hotcakes regardless. Especially the sport model at $43,000
If whoever just wants a track car why would you buy the new Z or the White Labelled Toyota Zupra even? Just go buy a used Cayman S and the mid engine will run circles around both. For the rest of us that want warranty the choice is a JDM and a BMW with a glued on Toyota badge.

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
If whoever just wants a track car why would you buy the new Z or the White Labelled Toyota Zupra even? Just go buy a used Cayman S and the mid engine will run circles around both. For the rest of us that want warranty the choice is a JDM and a BMW with a glued on Toyota badge.
cayman s does not and can not run circles around the Supra
The GT4 is much closer

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dont ask
Occupation
Thread derailer
Umm, no the Cayman S is not faster on the track. This last weekend, I was 3 seconds faster per lap, on a 60ish second per lap course. They driver in the Cayman is a better driver than me too. Same tires on both cars too.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
On short autox courses maybe, usually no more than 60 secs, it can come close, but no way on open tracking, way too short on horsepower.

FBD

First Name
FBD
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Umm, no the Cayman S is not faster on the track. This last weekend, I was 3 seconds faster per lap, on a 60ish second per lap course. They driver in the Cayman is a better driver than me too. Same tires on both cars too.
Betcha the Cayman had way more fun. I'm still tempted to get one.

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
you should ! They are a blast and typical Porsche perfect. Balanced, predictable the manuals feel and shift great

on a track I have driven a base cayman, cayman s, and a gt4

the base cayman is only slightly faster than a Miata. Both are GREAT fun on a track

I keep hoping the used market for a cayman club sport comes way back down

bghoward

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
370z
Have you looked at the price of used Caymans recently? I had this thought too, but good luck finding a used 718 Cayman S under $70k. You can maybe find a used Cayman base (non S model) for $50-60k. It's getting dumb out there right now in this market.

For the price of a used Cayman these days, I'd rather get a new C8 (if you have the patience to wait 12-18 months).

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Have you looked at the price of used Caymans recently? I had this thought too, but good luck finding a used 718 Cayman S under $70k. You can maybe find a used Cayman base (non S model) for $50-60k. It's getting dumb out there right now in this market.

For the price of a used Cayman these days, I'd rather get a new C8 (if you have the patience to wait 12-18 months).
I tried to find a new 718 a few weeks back, it seems dealerships aren't receiving many (as in I found zero new stock within 1500 mile radius). Probably making the used market even hotter.

bghoward

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
370z
I tried to find a new 718 a few weeks back, it seems dealerships aren't receiving many (as in I found zero new stock within 1500 mile radius). Probably making the used market even hotter.
No doubt this is a contributing cause. It makes the Z and Supra more attractive. Assuming no dealer markup, something sporty (that can be occasionally tracked) in the low 50's, new with warranty is something to really think about.

I'd think if I really had to get something, a used Cayman for 20k more than a NEW supra/Z is hard to swallow, and if you really want to compare used to used, you can pick up a Supra for mid 40's. I'm not sure a Cayman is really 30k better.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
No doubt this is a contributing cause. It makes the Z and Supra more attractive. Assuming no dealer markup, something sporty (that can be occasionally tracked) in the low 50's, new with warranty is something to really think about.

I'd think if I really had to get something, a used Cayman for 20k more than a NEW supra/Z is hard to swallow, and if you really want to compare used to used, you can pick up a Supra for mid 40's. I'm not sure a Cayman is really 30k better.
When I checked Porsche inventory, it was about a month after that cargo ship caught fire and sank. I wonder if that had anything to do with it?
I've always admired a base 718.

Personally, I've been around cars for quite a while now, and I've noticed that, generally, Porsche seems noticeably more reliable than BMW (and VW, it's other arm) so I'd be much more likely to consider a used Porsche. But, if prices stay high, it's just not a good deal. You're basically paying a "tax" for the pandemic, and it's way higher when you are looking at Porsches

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
Older Caymans, what a 911 used to be, can be had for $25-35k.

Reactions: FBD

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security

FBD

First Name
FBD
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I actually had one delivered and refused the sale last October. 2006 White S with a brand new Porsche engine and it was at 45K. It was a corp connection. Car had 60kms on it. But it wasn't an unmolested car. Had 911 rims on it. A weird spoiler. So I sent it back. But it felt really fast. Had a Borla exhaust. Cayman I think feels good with steering and balance. Not the fastest. But there is something about getting into a Porsche and the driving experience delivers. This is why Chris Harris loves them. But...no warranty. And the IMS bearing thing is a tolerable fix or most of them have had it done along with the rear main seal. It's almost maintenance.

TheGuverment

For profit. Strictly business.
First Name
Strickland
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Subaru WRX hatchback
But that's kind of the point. That you have to go out and immediately spend $5k (or more) to get it to perform the way it should from the factory , for a $52k car.

Let's face it - this car has been completely hyped up for the past couple years , by Nissan and everyone else . Now that we see the reality of the car , it's clear that it isn't some high performance track star vehicle.
Exactly, the internet hyped this thing up to be a “beast” because people are mad about how the Supra turned out. It was supposed to bring balance to the force and ain’t happen.