Z vs C7

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
At the price the Z is at I'll take the C7 all day.
Call me crazy, but I don't think I would. Probably because I already have a V8 to play with.

With that said, the C7 (regardless of trim level) is in another league of performance over the Z. Comparing them isn't really fair. However, given their similarities in price (albeit second hand for the C7), I understand why people are making comparisons.

The Z is more of a livable sports car (even though I haven't driven one yet) with decent limits. The C7 is more of a focused performer - at the cost of having a little rougher ride, and possibly a bit more cramped interior. Driving my father in law's C7 base, all I kept thinking of was how good this thing would be on track (though it was an automatic šŸ¤¢). It was otherwise a little uncomfortable around the streets of Brooklyn.

In sum, even at the same price, I wouldn't spring for a used C7 over the Z just because I think Z is a better "all arounder" than the C7.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
C7 is soft compared to my Evo so anything would be an upgrade in the comfort department lol.

I get what you're saying. Everyone has a different limit of what's acceptable as far as all around performance/comfort is concerned. My comfort limit is practically non-existent for me though. I like feeling everything when I drive.

TiresAlwaysFlat

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Power Wheels
If I wanted a more track focused car and have lots of open roads definitely the C7. But as a daily vehicle and you live in a dense populated city with narrow roads.. the size of the Vette can be an issue. Driving a C7 in downtown Toronto during rush hour traffic is no bueno. Considering the majority of my driving will be in the city and the occasional back roads plus that new car smell.. I'm choosing the Z over the C7.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
The Z has always been called "The V6 'vette" and "The poor man's 'vette" - When the C7 came out a lot of Texas Z guys graduated from the 350/370 to the C7 - I was about to do the same until I found out how much cheaper the N54 was to play with and I've always liked the Z4's styling.

As for the topic at hand, if this was still pre-covid market, the C7 would be in the low 30s by now - no brainier to get a C7 over a new Z imo.

With things the way they are, your 2 best options are wait for the bubble to burst or go for a new Z - please don't go over pay for a C7 (or anything else used for that matter)

Last edited:

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
The Z has always been called "The V6 'vette" and "The poor man's 'vette" - When the C7 came out a lot of Texas Z guys graduated from the 350/370 to the C7 - I was about to do the same until I found out how much cheaper the N54 was to play with and I've always liked the Z4's styling.

As for the topic at hand, if this was still pre-covid market, the C7 would be in the low 30s by now - no brainier to get a C7 over a new Z imo.

With things the way they are, your 2 best options are wait for the bubble to burst or go for a new Z - please don't go over pay for a C7 (or anything else used for that matter)
We might all be 6ā€™ under before the bubble bursts.

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
Dont worry its coming, the next 1-2 years wont be good for the world financially.
So Iā€™ve heard for the past 2 yearsā€¦chip shortage is actually getting worse. Supply is all out of whack. Demand can go down and it still wonā€™t have any downward pressure on prices. The drop in demand would have to outpace the supply, and itā€™s not. Even once supply starts churning you still have a good amount of time to fill the void left by years of very limited supply. Iā€™m open to any evidence you have to the contrary :) Iā€™m itching for another fun ride and would love for there to be crash on used prices!

ZZ2022

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2008 R35 GTR
So Iā€™ve heard for the past 2 yearsā€¦chip shortage is actually getting worse. Supply is all out of whack. Demand can go down and it still wonā€™t have any downward pressure on prices. The drop in demand would have to outpace the supply, and itā€™s not. Even once supply starts churning you still have a good amount of time to fill the void left by years of very limited supply. Iā€™m open to any evidence you have to the contrary :) Iā€™m itching for another fun ride and would love for there to be crash on used prices!
Oh dont worry i agree that demand is far outstripping supply and that wont be fixed anytime soon. I am more talking about economies in general are in for a rough ride

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
Yep, its almost like grounding supply chains to a halt and pumping the economy full of fake money was a bad idea
So, you're saying that fubaring up manufacturing was intentional?

I guess the millions of people who died the past couple of years would have something to say about that.

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
Aaaaaaand back on topic before we slip and fall in a pile of political shit.

I have driven a C7 a few times after daily-driving 370Zs for around six years. It's an impressive machine. There's definitely merits to each car.

I actually found the cargo area of the C7 to be better than that of the Z (maybe it was just in accessibility - but way easier to fit two large hard shell suitcases in). I do understand the sentiments in this thread regarding its on-road footprint. It felt enormous to me compared to the Z. Its long, wide nose (relative to the Z) felt awkward to me, but I could adjust if I drove it more. The fuel economy is absolutely stellar for what you're driving around in. You can crack 30mpg cruising at 70mph in 7th gear without an issue. It shifts great. Pretty decent clutch feel. FAST. It felt a bit more refined than the Z on road (my Z had sport package, buddy's C7 had Z51 with fancy dampers)

A C7 Grand Sport is THE JAM. Look, feel, suspension of the Z06 without the enormous bump in power. I don't need (or want) the power a Z06 offers - I would rather have the Grand Sport. I like the idea of taking the roof off (that's probably my favorite feature on a Vette that would trump the Z for me).

If anyone goes C7, 2017 or newer only. There are some wild issues in the 2014s and 2015s (and maybe 16s?). I had a buddy total his first C7 because some rear suspension mount point (that was recalled in the 2014s I think) broke and threw him into the median on an interstate at 70mph. He's lucky he walked away from that. The issue was not recalled on his model year (might have been a 15... can't remember if it was a 14 or 15) but he got a wild insurance windfall from that one and customer ordered his 2017, and he routinely tracks the car hard and hasn't had an issue with it in 50k miles.

Anyway - great cars. If you can land a Grand Sport for less than $50k, I wouldn't shy away from that. Just know that used car values are doing to drop like a rock once this bubble finally pops. With the new cars you'll at least have warranty and more longevity (on average) to deal with the depreciation you'll eat on those, but the used cars will be so bad that you will absolutely lose your ass.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
From my research, 2016+ are the C7s to go for. All the kinks were worked out and you get the following.....
- Android Auto/Car Play (wired)
- Front cameras (2LT+)
- PDR (2LT+)
- Soft close trunk
- Flat bottomed steering wheel

When C7 shopping the quirks are....
- Higher milage motors may need a Walnut Blast, LT1s are DI
- 8 speed autos have issues that are supposedly fixed with a tranny flush (2015-2019)
- Widebodies (GS, Z06, ZR1) need aftermarket wheels, stock wheels are cast and brittle
- Interiors didn't age or take abuse well but, parts are cheap now (center console lids especially)
- 3LT dashes are leather wrapped and tend to delaminate on sun belt cars that were left outside
- C7 was the first 'vett in a while with younger buyers, harder to find a gently used old man's toy

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
From my research, 2016+ are the C7s to go for. All the kinks were worked out and you get the following.....
- Android Auto/Car Play (wired)
- Front cameras (2LT+)
- PDR (2LT+)
- Soft close trunk
- Flat bottomed steering wheel

When C7 shopping the quirks are....
- Higher milage motors may need a Walnut Blast, LT1s are DI
- 8 speed autos have issues that are supposedly fixed with a tranny flush (2015-2019)
- Widebodies (GS, Z06, ZR1) need aftermarket wheels, stock wheels are cast and brittle
- Interiors didn't age or take abuse well but, parts are cheap now (center console lids especially)
- 3LT dashes are leather wrapped and tend to delaminate on sun belt cars that were left outside
- C7 was the first 'vett in a while with younger buyers, harder to find a gently used old man's toy
Yep pretty accurate. I had a ā€˜14 Z51 that I sold recently. 54k miles and interior was in phenomenal shape. I donā€™t understand the bad rap they get. Iā€™ve been in multiple C7ā€™s and theyā€™re nice enough for me. But then again I donā€™t appreciate the finer things. The ā€˜14ā€™s have actually been proven to be very reliable if not one of the most reliable years. If going auto they have better transmissions. I really didnā€™t like the 7 speed and Iā€™m a die hard manual fellar. Shouldā€™ve upgraded to an MGW shifter. I specifically avoided the 3LT cars. The dash delimitation continues to be an issue. The 2LT is the sweet spot.