Z vs C7

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
Depends if you want warranty. I've been doing the same. I watched Chris Harris's review of his old Lotus Exige and I went looking in Vancouver and can get one for around 60-65k but with 50k kms on it (30k miles) and probably no financing or not great and no warranty. I already own an older Porsche and when something goes wrong it hurts.
Aftermarket warranties are available from Credit Unions with their auto loans, or you can use one that's advertised ad nauseam (like CarShield).

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
The C7 was the best of the last gens. In a lot of ways I still like the styling much better than the C8. Everytime I see a C8, so many creases, lines, too exotic for what it is. The C7 is smooth, has tons more Corvette heritage in styling. Plus performance is still way above anything in the $50K range. I'd say go for it!

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
The C7 was the best of the last gens. In a lot of ways I still like the styling much better than the C8. Everytime I see a C8, so many creases, lines, too exotic for what it is. The C7 is smooth, has tons more Corvette heritage in styling. Plus performance is still way above anything in the $50K range. I'd say go for it!

ZR1 c7 is about the pinnacle of front engine rear drive Sports car.
It is MUCH faster around a track than a C8.

It is one of the few cars on the road tracks that I can't keep up with.

C7 Z06 is bad too. here is a recent video of a friend in Z06 at Summit

The one to find is a C7 Grand Sport- wide track, suspension and brakes from Z06 Just not supercharged.

A Track club member sold his C8 and went BACK to a Grand Sport.

Raven1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 350z HR Motor
Occupation
503rd Lead Farmer

Raven1

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2007 350z HR Motor
Occupation
503rd Lead Farmer
My opinion... for some reason, in my mind, the Z has kind of been a Japanese Vette.
I think a C7 is better in many ways:

Surprisingly good MPGs
Relatively reliable
Roomier hatch area
Basic performance is surprisingly good

I also like the C5 and C6.

If you have a mullet, it's a good match for the Z and the Vette.

However, the price of used vehicles is ridiculous.
If we were in normal times, you might see Z's for slightly under MSRP, the new C8 causing used C7s to depreciate a bit more, and the choice between them easier to make.

You may not like the MSRP of the new Z, but if possible to get a Z without ADM I'd choose it over an over-valued used car. Any of them.
Sir,

Your Opinion Is Indeed . . . Fact!

The Zee car is #2 Behind the Corvette in North American Sales going back 30 years, not bad as Datsun had made the Z introduction back in 1969 now 53 years ago. The Z car is distinctly Japanese and at the same time, fun, sporty and affordable which matched well with our 'American' sensibilities. As we here in the states equate our love affair with the car to freedom, fun and individuality. The fact that the Z car was not only easily and affordably customizable only added more demand for the affordable and reliable coupe that kicked off the daily driver that is taken to the track on weekends genre (if Genre is appropriate here as it typically relates to music, art & literature, but strangely it fits).

As the Japanese language is very old, the Japanese created New Characters for Modern words and LOVE to combine words to shorten or 'Choto' them and be able to relate the appropriate character in the Kana (Katakana from the Japanese, Hiragana derived from the Chinese characters and Romaji which uses English phonetic to input in computers/cell phones).

Nihon-Sangyo (loosely translated as Japan-Performance) was combined/shortened to 'Nissan' back in 1928 when it started being traded on the Tokyo stock exchange. DAT was a large company who owned a small auto parts casting company named Tobata Casting Co. who's DAT name was derived from it's three original financiers 'Den-san, Aoyama-san & Takeuchi-san' or DAT which was combined with 'Sun' to honor the Japanese flag and thus 'Datsun' (or Dattosan) was created.

Fast forward 6 short years and Nissan took control of DAT and the rest is automotive history. Going back to the Japanese combining words to their written characters. Nissan in the Japanese Kanji which is Nihon & Sun when combined literally translates to 'Japan Made' in the formal or in the informal 'Made in Japan'. On a personal note I always chuckle when I see true Nissan fans here with Nissan tattoos and I'm like Dude you from Nebraska !!! What's even more hilarious is I'm Mexican, my wife is Japanese, my television is Korean and that is what America is all about . . . 'As Si es la vida Que No?'

Apologies everyone, my nerdy love for Japan and Nissan is showing . . .

Last edited:

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dont ask
Occupation
Thread derailer
C5, c6 and c7 are all great platforms. I can't really say anything bad about the car itself. However I don't wear Jean shorts, golf (ok i will every now and then) or go to cars and coffee every weekend. So ya, had to get something more fitting....

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
C7s are high achievers on performance and interiors are much improved over earlier Vettes. I wonder though, what about insurance costs vs the new Z? And I'm not talking about the Z06, not comparable.

Z06fan

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Chevrolet SS Sedan, Mini Cooper S
Occupation
entrepreneur
ZR1 c7 is about the pinnacle of front engine rear drive Sports car.
It is MUCH faster around a track than a C8.

It is one of the few cars on the road tracks that I can't keep up with.

C7 Z06 is bad too. here is a recent video of a friend in Z06 at Summit

The one to find is a C7 Grand Sport- wide track, suspension and brakes from Z06 Just not supercharged.

A Track club member sold his C8 and went BACK to a Grand Sport.
That's my thought as well. The Grand Sport is in that sweet spot with what it offers. I was planning to look for a used C7 manual GS convertible before covid made the prices of used cars insane. I'm in no hurry and will wait to see what the prices look like for the Z as well as the used car market before I buy anything. I personally like the size of the Z better than the vette.

Shorlaw

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Corvette GS, 2018 Macan
I went from a 2004 350Z that I had for about 12 years to a 2019 C7 GS and they're completely different, both with pro/cons. I prefer the size of the Z and the more darty handling feel, but you can't deny the feel and sound of the V8 with the Vette, and all that torque is addictive. I have some great twisty roads around me and the handling of the Vette is unbelievable in what it can do, but you do always feel the size of it. I agree with what others have said, pricing of C7's right now is insane, if you can get a Z at MSRP you'd be better to grab it and move to a C7 once used prices have settled down.

350Z.JPG

Vette.JPG

2017370ZBlack

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z 6MT & 2015 Xterra Pro-4X
Yes, the C7 is pure "Corvette" and makes you think of nothing else. When I see a C8, I think of a wannabee McLaren/Ferrari mashup.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
At the price the Z is at I'll take the C7 all day.