your short list of cars?

Driver

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MK7 GTI (Sold)
Bro... when I bought my 2016 GTI, even during dieselgate, Golf R were going for full MSRP, and difficult to find too.
I recall the day well. My GTI was a 2016 also. MK8 Rs will always be full MSRP unless a recession hits. But they will be obtainable at MSRP sometime in 2022. I'm just saying I won't pay a markup on what is essentially a little hatchback with economy car DNA. Even tho the tech on it has become Awesome. MK8 R still not as beautiful or Cool as the 2023 Z -but you already knew that ?

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
So just a little update cause I havent seen the car mentioned in here.
My short list is now down to one alternative. If I dont get the Z, I'm going to get a lightly used ATS-V.
Manual, Rwd, twin turbo V6, slightly faster than supra on recorded lap times, luxurious, dependable (moreso than the other luxury sports in the class), and from everything I've heard the chassis feel and handling is off the charts.
Interesting choice. I've been sorely tempted by the CT4 V Blackwing, it's been getting rave reviews, but it's really more car than I could properly use around this megacity, and as for tracking - you'd need very deep pockets.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I recall the day well. My GTI was a 2016 also. MK8 Rs will always be full MSRP unless a recession hits. But they will be obtainable at MSRP sometime in 2022. I'm just saying I won't pay a markup on what is essentially a little hatchback with economy car DNA. Even tho the tech on it has become Awesome. MK8 R still not as beautiful or Cool as the 2023 Z -but you already knew that ?
We'll see. I don't know why people keep thinking things will settle down soon. Nearly 2 years ago we were saying "2 weeks".

I am so turned off by the Mk8 interior. VW has progressively cheapened the GTI and R starting in 2017, over the life of the Mk7 they un-damped the glove box, deleted backlighting of several buttons (overhead console) and a bunch of other stuff I forget.
Now they went full on hard plastic and haptic buttons in the Mk8. Ugh.

Really miss my 2016 Mk7

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
So just a little update cause I havent seen the car mentioned in here.
My short list is now down to one alternative. If I dont get the Z, I'm going to get a lightly used ATS-V.
Manual, Rwd, twin turbo V6, slightly faster than supra on recorded lap times, luxurious, dependable (moreso than the other luxury sports in the class), and from everything I've heard the chassis feel and handling is off the charts.
Twin Turbo V6 Luxury Camaro - I know it sounds shallow but the base model econobox from the 80s gauge cluster and the halogen headlights killed those dreams for me.

But the power is THERE man, that TTV6 isn't a slouch and I love the looks.

Driver

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MK7 GTI (Sold)
We'll see. I don't know why people keep thinking things will settle down soon. Nearly 2 years ago we were saying "2 weeks".

I am so turned off by the Mk8 interior. VW has progressively cheapened the GTI and R starting in 2017, over the life of the Mk7 they un-damped the glove box, deleted backlighting of several buttons (overhead console) and a bunch of other stuff I forget.
Now they went full on hard plastic and haptic buttons in the Mk8. Ugh.

Really miss my 2016 Mk7
The Humble Mechanic channel on youtube has a MK8 R stuck in a USA port, and he said the Port just notified him that it will be shipped on 2-7, ie 5 days from now. There are a boatload (literally) of Rs and GTIs at the port, so they all get shipped on 2-7.

Agree the Mk8s interiors have been cheapened. However, that has been mitigated by them being so much more expensive now. :p
A bit more seriously, I'm interested in the new AWD and tunable engine with a newer (and better?) turbo. I will ignore the cardboard panels, and the haptic stuff doesn't bother me. I like the new digital readouts, much like we are thrilled with the Z's speedo/entertainment, except the Z interior is miles above the R.

Yeah, I miss my MK7 too. Always wanting that newer, faster, shiny object. But, these are First World problems and we are lucky! Unless the Evil sickos succeed in turning the USA into a 3rd world. Because "you will own nothing, and be happy".

Quigs

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'09 Mazdaspeed3, '22 Ford F-250 SD, Miata racecar
Occupation
Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
My short list requirements:
- RWD
- Manual transmission
- Under $60k

So pretty much the Z or a Mustang.

If the Audi RS3 hatchback was offered in the US that would trump all of those other requirements though haha.

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
If I suddenly won the lottery (which would be a miracle since I don't even buy tickets), then I'd get these, but only in proper manual / stick-shift versions - no silly automatics, pretend manual, or paddle-shift nonsense:
  • S13 Nissan 200sx/240sx/180sx hatchback, pop-up lights (factory-mint condition, with tons of spare parts, including bodywork parts!)
  • Toyota 86 / Subaru BRZ
  • Nissan Z
  • Jaguar F-type
  • Aston Martin
  • Ferrari (maybe a "Magnum PI" hardtop version also with tons of spare parts)
:)

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
So pretty much the Z or a Mustang.
Since crickets from Nissan, why I bought a Perf Pack Level 2 GT, what a factory setup! Will see what happens when the Z shows up with perf numbers...

Quigs

First Name
Nathan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'09 Mazdaspeed3, '22 Ford F-250 SD, Miata racecar
Occupation
Fire Lieutenant/Paramedic
Since crickets from Nissan, why I bought a Perf Pack Level 2 GT, what a factory setup! Will see what happens when the Z shows up with perf numbers...
I just took delivery of my new Super Duty last week and was poking around the dealer looking at the couple Mustangs they had. Unfortunately they were both lower end Ecoboost models, but I was trying to get some information on the 2024 refresh without much luck. I had driven a rental Ecoboost Mustang on a trip to California a few years ago and it was actually a decent handling car. The performance for the price seems to be hard to beat since it's so hard to find something with a manual gearbox anymore. I always used to think I would never buy a Mustang, but if the Z doesn't live up to the hype then it may be my only choice.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
I just took delivery of my new Super Duty last week and was poking around the dealer looking at the couple Mustangs they had. Unfortunately they were both lower end Ecoboost models, but I was trying to get some information on the 2024 refresh without much luck. I had driven a rental Ecoboost Mustang on a trip to California a few years ago and it was actually a decent handling car. The performance for the price seems to be hard to beat since it's so hard to find something with a manual gearbox anymore. I always used to think I would never buy a Mustang, but if the Z doesn't live up to the hype then it may be my only choice.
Think I'm more and more in the same camp as you (and @trackratZ ) in that a GT w/ PP is the contingency plan. Maaaaaaybe a Mach 1 but that might be too much/hard to find a deal on. Same w/ a 718.

Just got an email from a VW dealer down here about getting the Golf R in and I'm just...not that excited about it anymore. The reviews, especially long-term (those who had it for week or more) have made me feel meh, and considering I don't need something that compromises between function and fun, why bother? Plus, owning a VW after warranty...shudder.

Freewill

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Triumph Tiger
Think I'm more and more in the same camp as you (and @trackratZ ) in that a GT w/ PP is the contingency plan. Maaaaaaybe a Mach 1 but that might be too much/hard to find a deal on. Same w/ a 718.

Just got an email from a VW dealer down here about getting the Golf R in and I'm just...not that excited about it anymore. The reviews, especially long-term (those who had it for week or more) have made me feel meh, and considering I don't need something that compromises between function and fun, why bother? Plus, owning a VW after warranty...shudder.
We have one VW and one Ford in our home right now. Both are great cars to drive. The VW however is far more money to maintain. Electrics, sun roof leaks, door handles, etc all have been issues. If Volkswagen cars were reliable I'd buy another based on the driving experience, but as ours has been so costly to maintain I''d avoid buying another. The Ford on the other hand has been super reliable and cheap to maintain. If I can't get the Z I want I'll buy a Mach 1 Mustang.

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
I drove three supercars around a track with the Extreme Driving Experience last fall.

When it started to rain, they took the GT500 off the track. One instructor said, "It's a brick that goes great in a straight line."

94boosted

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Camaro SS 1LE, BMW 340, Ford F150
Really want a C8 w/ Z51 Pkg. just not willing to pay $20-30K over sticker for one. If the Z can't get enough front camber I'll likely cancel my order and grab a 2022 Supra 3.0 instead.

After a few seasons of autocross and track days in my 17' SS 1LE it's time for a change, as fantastic as that car is. GM basically abandoning the car, no development other that some bumpers is such a shame. Sticking the Gen 4 Delphi magride system in the 1LE and/or the LT2 engine seem like such easy improvements to make to the car, but they refuse to do anything.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I've actually begun to look at older Corvettes, like the C5. I've always considered them the best vehicle GM ever made (I'm not merely speaking only about performance, I'm talking about reliability too) and the Saturn-like dent resistant panels, usable hatch area, nearly 30mpg and legendary LS V8. Seems like an excellent daily driver.

There's a 2003 with 8k miles on it for $30k near me. Not sure if it's worth that much, but mighty tempting!