your short list of cars?

BurninateZ

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'92 MR2 Turbo, '19 508 GT, '23 Supra GT Manual
Mostly it's between the new Z and the GR86 for me, with a good preference for the Z but I think I would still be happy with the GR86.

I've toyed with the idea of a Mustang GT, new Golf R or a second hand Cayman, but they're all feeling like a bit too much of a compromise for now.

Tdog87

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M140i
I was originally going to wait for the upcoming G87 M2 but that will be well above my budget as it will be about $30k more than the previous F87 M2 here in Australia.

Then I was going to get either a secondhand F87 M2C or F80 M3/M4 but the prices have gone up due to covid and I am not going to pay an inflated price for a secondhand car that will drop in price crazy once the supply shortage ends. Also while the M2C can be had in manual easily there were far less choice of cars when looking for manual F80's.

As I want a manual transmission it really limited my choices and the only other cars I was sort of considering were the i30N sedan and the upcoming CTR and STI, but they all felt to me like a bit of a downgrade to my current M140i.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Just checking the Corolla hatch out to see what Toyota has to work with for the GR. It's exactly the same length as the Z, but man is it light at about 3000 lbs. Given that the GR engine is a tiny 1.6 liitres, if they substitute in some aluminium suspension bits and use lightweight forged wheels, I wouldn't expect it to weigh more than 3150 lbs with the addition of AWD. A strong basis for a great handling car.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
1) Mustang GT Gen 3 Coyote PP2 (have now, will compare with Z)
2) New Z Performance Manual
3) Upcoming Nismo
4) Cayman GT4 (low mi preowned)
5) NO MORE BMWs, too temperamental reliability

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
My DD is a like-new 110k mile N/A Z32.

We'll see what happens in a couple of years - slightly used New Z, good deal on sorted out Z32 TT, or a (tastefully done) LS swap.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Just checking the Corolla hatch out to see what Toyota has to work with for the GR. It's exactly the same length as the Z, but man is it light at about 3000 lbs. Given that the GR engine is a tiny 1.6 liitres, if they substitute in some aluminium suspension bits and use lightweight forged wheels, I wouldn't expect it to weigh more than 3150 lbs with the addition of AWD. A strong basis for a great handling car.
My wife has a Corolla hatchback. The chassis is really pretty good, it's got that same well-polished feel as my Mk7 GTI had. I can definitely see it being a good basis for the GR-FOUR.

Freewill

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Triumph Tiger
1. Nissan Z Performance Trim with a manual. (80%)
2. Ford Mach 1 Mustang with a manual. (15%)
3. Low mileage used Porsche Cayman with a manual. (5%)

Percentages are the likelihood I see it happening. Only thing that would change the % would be aggressive pricing which in this market seems unlikely.

Snake

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 F150 Lariat 4x4 5.0, 2009 E93 335i
Occupation
Sales
It’s a toss up between the Z, MKV Manual, and a C7 Grand Sport.

If crypto resurrects I’ll be looking at a Cayman GTS and the Emira.

LC1

First Name
Ogan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1993 mazda rx7, 2005 subaru legacy gt
Occupation
Nissan machinist
I should be able to handle something 50k-ish or less pretty easily. things I'm thinking are

nissan Z
c7 vette
r32 skyline
evo 10

each one would be for different reasons. I'd enjoy any of them though. I work for Nissan and considering leasing the Z through the company then buying it when the lease is up so I never have to worry about dealer mark ups. Downside though is that I can't modify or track the car at all for the year so that the lease agreement is active.

memelord

First Name
Toua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Occupation
Military
Lotus Esprit
Lotus Evora
lotus Emira (kinda out of my price range tbh)
Cayman S (987.2) not a fan of the 981
New Z (it has to be better than the Supra but I just don’t see that happening)
Manual Supra

I currently own a 21 Supra and RSX Type S.

Blackbeard

First Name
Anthony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Supra
Occupation
Mechanic
right now everything im lookng at 1lt c8, Z , supra mk5, and 2022 mach 1

Ziggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Abarth 124
1) Next gen cayman (more photos/info this year for product release in 2023??)
2) Z - Nismo
3) M2 - that Isle of Man Green is spectacular, with a dark brown interior and a stick… mmmmm. Only downside is I don’t respect the BMW brand. Would rather pay Porsche or Mercedes $12k to paint that color on one of their cars ?