What car are you getting instead of the Z?

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
sadly (for nissan especially) a few more people here have picked up other cars. some members may be right behind them...

...where do you stand now?

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
I'm looking to other older cars for my intended aspirational Z purchase in a couple of years.

Wheeler Dealers refurbed a 2003 Mercedes SL55 AMG last week. 490+ HP supercharged V8, adaptive suspension, retractable hardtop, etc. Local low mileage examples can be had below $28k. Even if I had to put $5k repairs, this is a solid contender for me.

Back in '04, I had the opportunity to take an SL500 AMG on an autox course and then four laps around Daytona at 143MPH. Very solid and tossable car.

forcer

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E550
im looking at supras and rx7. just a bit concerned these getting older so rust and parts shortage.. too bad these cars are from early 90s. not alot of cool enthusiast cars in late 2000s

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
sadly (for nissan especially) a few more people here have picked up other cars. some members may be right behind them...

Why is it "sad" for Nissan?

You thinking they'll actually build enough to have them sitting around, unsold, on dealer lots?

As it stands, everyone on these forums could move on, they will still find more buyers than they can build cars for.

I feel like people keep forgetting about the pandemic.......as if you're gonna wake up tomorrow in normal world.

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
I'm looking to other older cars for my intended aspirational Z purchase in a couple of years.

Wheeler Dealers refurbed a 2003 Mercedes SL55 AMG last week. 490+ HP supercharged V8, adaptive suspension, retractable hardtop, etc. Local low mileage examples can be had below $28k. Even if I had to put $5k repairs, this is a solid contender for me.

Back in '04, I had the opportunity to take an SL500 AMG on an autox course and then four laps around Daytona at 143MPH. Very solid and tossable car.
I owned a SL550 one of the cars i regret selling. PM me if you have questions

BobDigi5060

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
10r80 5.0, G37X, C4 LT1

Going to sit back, wait, and see what buyers and the aftermarket can do with this car over the next two years. I have two V8s, high Rev sedan with bun warmers, nav, and a sunroof. I think the styling, twin turbos, and manual would complete my garage. No more cars.

I have three as it stands. Will be purchasing a 3 car garage home or one with room on the side of the house to park two cars before I buy another. When I do my wife will kill me if I end up with four cars.

I believe a fellow Texan on here, @jdm-rhd has 4 JDM cars. Although somewhat ridiculous, above all admirable 🤤

BobDigi5060

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
10r80 5.0, G37X, C4 LT1
Sorry didn't realize I was quoting the person I was mentioning 😆

I work overnight and should be asleep.

TitanZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Titan SL 4x4 Midnight Edition
You're gonna overpay for every alternative, leaving an empty feeling of getting ripped-off and still not having the new Z...best to wait this out for a while unless you have to buy.

There's positives in waiting...for those that will overpay right now for a Proto to be first, I wonder if a widely available PPF template has already been put into production at the local car places? I wouldn't want to spend $75K on Proto and not have a PPF appointment already lined up leaving the dealership...that front area under the headlights is gonna get pummeled with rock chips.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
I'm searching for a 997.2 Sport Chrono manual, plenty with low miles out there, probably walk away will less $$ than a frickin' Nissan Z!

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
I'm searching for a 997.2 Sport Chrono manual, plenty with low miles out there, probably walk away will less $$ than a frickin' Nissan Z!
508443B5-3D26-4257-B3B5-36CFF4EEB739.jpeg
58A69F80-6FAD-44AD-955E-4DF4EDCDBA1A.jpeg

had scheduled service of my daily ride today and this was just traded in on a Lambo- dumb move IMHO.
I drooled a gallon

You should buy this !

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
seems we are losing more and more members every week, nissan needs to step it up asap...

kittens

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none atm
I've been seriously looking at NC Miata's to hold me over but one slipped away on me

still driving my camry:(
update: picked this up in June. Love the car, and now I can hold on to this if I ever order something in the future. I still have the "freaking fast" itch and might order a C8 or CT4 Blackwing eventually, probably takes a year+ but is tolerable now that I have something fun

miata4.jpg

miata3.jpg

miata2.jpg

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
update: picked this up in June. Love the car, and now I can hold on to this if I ever order something in the future. I still have the "freaking fast" itch and might order a C8 or CT4 Blackwing eventually, probably takes a year+ but is tolerable now that I have something fun

miata4.jpg

miata3.jpg

miata2.jpg
Love it, congrats! Crystal White Pearl?

Wife and I bought another CX-5 last weekend and they had an automatic on the lot, I told the salesman (who was surprisingly cool, and a huge car nut to boot) I had a 97 back in the day and he was like "...wanna sit in it? See how it feels?" and sure enough, now that they've added a telescopic steering wheel, my Jolly Green Giant self was able to make it work. I really appreciate how they still haven't overcomplicated the car and that all these years later, it stays true to its roots. If a manual were to show up, it'd be really hard to resist. That NA remains my favorite car I ever owned.

I'm leaning more and more towards something else, too. With the direction borrowing money is going in, and knowing how much will be required on top of that to get the car up to what we've all agreed to is an "acceptable" spec (suspension, exhaust, etc.), I don't know if it's worth the price tag right now.

kittens

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
none atm
Love it, congrats! Crystal White Pearl?

Wife and I bought another CX-5 last weekend and they had an automatic on the lot, I told the salesman (who was surprisingly cool, and a huge car nut to boot) I had a 97 back in the day and he was like "...wanna sit in it? See how it feels?" and sure enough, now that they've added a telescopic steering wheel, my Jolly Green Giant self was able to make it work. I really appreciate how they still haven't overcomplicated the car and that all these years later, it stays true to its roots. If a manual were to show up, it'd be really hard to resist. That NA remains my favorite car I ever owned.

I'm leaning more and more towards something else, too. With the direction borrowing money is going in, and knowing how much will be required on top of that to get the car up to what we've all agreed to is an "acceptable" spec (suspension, exhaust, etc.), I don't know if it's worth the price tag right now.
It's snowflake white pearl which I believe either is the same as Crystal, or a very tiny difference. I love how it pops in the sun. I was this close to getting Soul Red, but the paint quality with that color pulled me to white. the CX5 (or CX50) would definitely be my choice if I ever get an SUV

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
It's snowflake white pearl which I believe either is the same as Crystal, or a very tiny difference. I love how it pops in the sun. I was this close to getting Soul Red, but the paint quality with that color pulled me to white. the CX5 (or CX50) would definitely be my choice if I ever get an SUV
It is so so so good looking in the sun for sure. Mazda's paint has always been a strong suit.

We ended up with a '20 Signature, the AWD and Turbo really helps waken the car up. It's going to be hers eventually when I get something, but until then I'm enjoying driving the heck out of it. We test drove quite a few other SUVs when we bought our first, Mazda does a great job of making every one of their cars "driver-centric". Car handles well, solid interior, plenty torque, it's impressive.