What car are you getting instead of the Z?

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
i know there were several of us here who were waiting for the reveal to see the z's details and when it was gonna be at dealers.

it's gonna be too long of a wait for me, so i'm getting something else for now. i will be looking at the z in the future.

so what is the reason your buying another vehicle? what are you getting? are you still interested in the z?

Challenger88

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford F150
I've been wanting to trade in the F150 for something more sporty, but what I've been looking at is broad and seemingly not related. But I do have my reasons for each one:

1) Dodge Charger Scatpack Widebody: I've never had a muscle car, but I've always liked the raw power of a V8. Thinking about starting a family soon, so the extra doors over a Challenger and large trunk along with the cruising comfort, would work wonderfully along with the power of the 6.4L.

2) Genesis GV70: I do enjoy riding slightly higher on the road to be able to see everything. This offers the size and luxury I'd want in a car for a family along with slight sportiness. Along with the fact this looks similar to the Porsche Cayenne. Closest dealer is 30+ minutes away, and I'm still not sold on the Genesis brand. Especially with the horror stories of trying to buy from a Hyundai dealership.

3) Genesis G70: High luxury along with a decent amount of power from the TTV6, but I have the same problems with this as the GV70. Dealer experience, reliability, etc.

Still just can't pull the trigger since all of these are at the top of my price range, so I'm still looking. Hopefully the Z can stay in the low to mid 40's when it comes out next year.

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
i know there were several of us here who were waiting for the reveal to see the z's details and when it was gonna be at dealers.

it's gonna be too long of a wait for me, so i'm getting something else for now. i will be looking at the z in the future.

so what is the reason your buying another vehicle? what are you getting? are you still interested in the z?
Well, what "something else" are you considering? I've seen your comments on the new STI, but would have to wait for that as well, and it's shaping up to be pretty underwhelming.

Looking for ideas or do you already know?

Last edited:
OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
Well, what "something else" are you considering? I've seen your comments on the new STI, but would have to wait for that as well, and it's shaping up to be pretty underwhelming.

Looking for ideas or do you already know?
so yeah the new wrx was on the short list but it looks like it will be a while before it comes out too...not waiting on it either. right now im looking at...

older sti's
2g gsx
sw-20 mr2 (2nd gen)
turbo'd brz/86
vehicross
another x-runner
r32 if I'm lucky to find one

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
I've been wanting to trade in the F150 for something more sporty, but what I've been looking at is broad and seemingly not related. But I do have my reasons for each one:

1) Dodge Charger Scatpack Widebody: I've never had a muscle car, but I've always liked the raw power of a V8. Thinking about starting a family soon, so the extra doors over a Challenger and large trunk along with the cruising comfort, would work wonderfully along with the power of the 6.4L.

2) Genesis GV70: I do enjoy riding slightly higher on the road to be able to see everything. This offers the size and luxury I'd want in a car for a family along with slight sportiness. Along with the fact this looks similar to the Porsche Cayenne. Closest dealer is 30+ minutes away, and I'm still not sold on the Genesis brand. Especially with the horror stories of trying to buy from a Hyundai dealership.

3) Genesis G70: High luxury along with a decent amount of power from the TTV6, but I have the same problems with this as the GV70. Dealer experience, reliability, etc.

Still just can't pull the trigger since all of these are at the top of my price range, so I'm still looking. Hopefully the Z can stay in the low to mid 40's when it comes out next year.
that is a broad list.
there is another member here who was gonna order the scat pack.
i may need to check that out too...

Challenger88

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford F150
that is a broad list.
there is another member here who was gonna order the scat pack.
i may need to check that out too...
So I've been told. I do have a reason for each one, but something that could fulfill each want just isn't feasible. I know the Z isn't a family car by any means, but we could make it work if we needed to. So that's why I'm torn. I had a decently modified BRZ I traded in for the truck, and I've missed it every single day lol. I'm wanting something sporty and practical, but it's hard to decide.

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
so yeah the new wrx was on the short list but it looks like it will be a while before it comes out too...not waiting on it either. right now im looking at...

older sti's
2g gsx
sw-20 mr2 (2nd gen)
turbo'd brz/86
vehicross
another x-runner
r32 if I'm lucky to find one
I've seen some clean, lower mileage Hawkeye's for sale lately, but they were all in the low to mid-$40k's. That's a lot of change for me to dish out on a 15+ year old preowned, but I can't say I wasn't tempted. For that kind of money you can get a brand new FK8 or an upcoming Mk8 R if you can snag one at MSRP, but what's that nowadays?

Any of the next 3 on the list would be fun. I had to look up VehiCross to remember what it was :D Growing up we had a Trooper and a P'up, but those are the only Isuzu's I've ever been in or driven. I'd love any of the R32-R34 GT-R's, but at this point I'd even settle for a GTS-t just to own one.

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
yeah, the Mk8 R is in the back of my mind as well. Still bullish on the Z, but trying to make a mental list of other vehicles to check out juuust in case. Swung by a VW dealership today to ask timing, and he said they were originally told October but with chips, etc. he's unsure.

I loooooove SW20 MR2's, haven't thought about 2G GSX's in forever but last I recall, they're crazy unreliable?

And I don't think you need to ask anyone's opinion on the R32, lol.

pakmanz35

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Infiniti G37xS
My decision depends on final price, but if it ends up being too much for the top trim I'm going to look for a 6th gen Camaro SS 1LE. Reason is this 1LE trim is track ready, one of the best chassis on the market, and looks aggressive over the standard Camaro. 3 years after the Z comes out I'll look at how the Z is depreciating and see if it's at more reasonable price.

I'll keep my G37xS as a daily driver.

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
So I've been told. I do have a reason for each one, but something that could fulfill each want just isn't feasible. I know the Z isn't a family car by any means, but we could make it work if we needed to. So that's why I'm torn. I had a decently modified BRZ I traded in for the truck, and I've missed it every single day lol. I'm wanting something sporty and practical, but it's hard to decide.
more details and pics of brz.

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
I've seen some clean, lower mileage Hawkeye's for sale lately, but they were all in the low to mid-$40k's. That's a lot of change for me to dish out on a 15+ year old preowned, but I can't say I wasn't tempted. For that kind of money you can get a brand new FK8 or an upcoming Mk8 R if you can snag one at MSRP, but what's that nowadays?

Any of the next 3 on the list would be fun. I had to look up VehiCross to remember what it was :D Growing up we had a Trooper and a P'up, but those are the only Isuzu's I've ever been in or driven. I'd love any of the R32-R34 GT-R's, but at this point I'd even settle for a GTS-t just to own one.
been watching sti's on and off for a few years now. they were already up there in price but it's gotten out of hand lately.
i was within budget on one a few months back and lost out trying to get it for 1k less. someone payed the asking price. i would taken the deal if i had known how long the z was gonna take. funny too cause i prob could have snagged it last year for 3k less.

H2O_Doc

First Name
Doc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M240i, Supra MkV, 370Z 6MT
Occupation
Friggin’ Scientist
A year+ ago, I thought I was going to wait for the Z, but when it became clear it was going to be a long wait, I grabbed a Supra when they were under $50k. No regrets, but still planning on a manny Z. Looked at C7 Z51s and M2s as well.

Challenger88

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ford F150
more details and pics of brz.
It was a 2015 BRZ Limited. Mods list:

Lowered 1.5 inches on Eibach sportlines
Camber bolts up front and new LCA's in the rear.
Aftermarket wheels 18x8.5 wrapped in Michelin PSS.
Tomei UEL header.
Cat back exhaust.
And an OTS tune.

Traded it in almost 3 years ago now and have missed her every single day since.
IMG_20181006_075310.jpg

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A year+ ago, I thought I was going to wait for the Z, but when it became clear it was going to be a long wait, I grabbed a Supra when they were under $50k. No regrets, but still planning on a manny Z. Looked at C7 Z51s and M2s as well.
Were you considering an OG M2 or a M2C? What swayed you to go with an A90 over the C7 and F87?