What car are you getting instead of the Z?

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
I have a Scat Pack 1320 on order, but having 2nd thoughts now d/t several recent issues.
wondered what you did.
when is delivery scheduled?

not sure if you know but i did end up getting another car myself.

Bunnzilla

First Name
Bunny
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stanza Wagon
If you asked me this question 5 years ago, I would have said the fight is between an 86 and whatever Nissan came up with, but for me, the new Z is the clear frontrunner in that competition.

The alternative I am seriously considering is an M3. It has been my *other* dream car, after the GTR and Z, for a long time. The difference between now and 5 years ago is that now I make a little more money, and I’m married with talks of popping out a kid. My husband will not stop me from getting the Z, but lack of a backseat has him less than enthusiastic about it.

I also considered the M340i, but after lots of research, it is sorely overpriced and you might as well buy a base M3 at that price. The M2 is an attractive option, as someone else mentioned, but if I need a backseat, then I probably also want 4 doors. I’m driving a 4-door sedan right now, and it’s a nice little luxury to have. Normally, I’d get a slightly aged certified pre-owned vehicle, but the prices on those are as high as the new, so really no point anymore. Well, except the ugly grill on the new M3, but I think the aftermarket can help me correct that.

That said, I feel sad if I miss out on this real opportunity to buy a brand new Z. I’ve never purchased a new car, and I always imaged a Z would be my first one. We also do not have enough physical room for me to own 2 cars, and my budget can’t afford it, either. I am sad that putting family first might crush my Z dreams for now, but hey… the M3 doesn’t suck.

My final alternative is a used GTR. At least there’s a backseat, and Godzilla really *is* my dream car. Hit me up if you know of someone reliable looking to offload theirs in the greater Atlanta area.

MARLEY

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 RAM 1500 Laramie
Occupation
US Coast Guard
If i can't find one without ADM's, probably a Mustang GT premium. Maybe an M2.

BobDigi5060

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
10r80 5.0, G37X, C4 LT1
If you asked me this question 5 years ago, I would have said the fight is between an 86 and whatever Nissan came up with, but for me, the new Z is the clear frontrunner in that competition.

The alternative I am seriously considering is an M3. It has been my *other* dream car, after the GTR and Z, for a long time. The difference between now and 5 years ago is that now I make a little more money, and I’m married with talks of popping out a kid. My husband will not stop me from getting the Z, but lack of a backseat has him less than enthusiastic about it.

I also considered the M340i, but after lots of research, it is sorely overpriced and you might as well buy a base M3 at that price. The M2 is an attractive option, as someone else mentioned, but if I need a backseat, then I probably also want 4 doors. I’m driving a 4-door sedan right now, and it’s a nice little luxury to have. Normally, I’d get a slightly aged certified pre-owned vehicle, but the prices on those are as high as the new, so really no point anymore. Well, except the ugly grill on the new M3, but I think the aftermarket can help me correct that.

That said, I feel sad if I miss out on this real opportunity to buy a brand new Z. I’ve never purchased a new car, and I always imaged a Z would be my first one. We also do not have enough physical room for me to own 2 cars, and my budget can’t afford it, either. I am sad that putting family first might crush my Z dreams for now, but hey… the M3 doesn’t suck.

My final alternative is a used GTR. At least there’s a backseat, and Godzilla really *is* my dream car. Hit me up if you know of someone reliable looking to offload theirs in the greater Atlanta area.
How old are your kids?

Mine are 6 and 1. I got my fun car before the 2nd child was born. Do you bud if it we're up to me I'd still have my four eyed fox 5.0 or 04 STi before the kids came along.

I'd also take a used GTR over the Z.

It seems that power is the reason you are no longer considering the 86 and now other cars. I chose a 5.0 over lesser powered or used sports cars. I'll live with that decision and pay it off. Nothing like one of the big 3 modern muscle cars. Mine so happens to have the most sophisticated engines and the most aftermarket parts.

I would cross shop them all (GTR, C6-C8, Supra, Z, B58 BMWs). A 5 series with a B58 or V8 would carry the kids around and fulfill that need for speed. Imho the B58 cars seems to fit my needs better (sedan, supra, BMW, no engine pulls for turbo upgrade).

BobDigi5060

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
10r80 5.0, G37X, C4 LT1
Private sale? Dealer? How many miles?

I believe I can make a $30k+ purchase in a year and a half and will consider all cars including this. I hope you keep this for a long time! S2Ks are an acquired taste, but you would regret trading this for 99% of cars out there. Again, congrats!

BobDigi5060

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
10r80 5.0, G37X, C4 LT1
I have a Scat Pack 1320 on order, but having 2nd thoughts now d/t several recent issues.
Live and learn. FBO should match or hold off FBO 2022 Zs. The Camaro handles better, the Mustang has the more sophisticated engine and 10r80, but the Challenger is the greatest. I've never driven a 392, but Challengers are some of the best looking cars on the road and yeah I'd get a new one while I could.

What color did you choose?

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
This will be the most visited thread until the new Z comes out..............loooong time before Spring lol. Other options are swirling in my head to replace the tracked S30, hmmmm
Go on...

In all seriousness, you're quite right. It honestly feels like we're all kids waiting for Christmas morning, except now we're all grown ass adults who should have developed some form of patience yet we're all hitting refresh on the forums multiple times a day, have set up custom Google News alerts for any related news, scour social media...no, just me?

I'm not currently in a rush, so I'm continuing to hold out. Also really don't know what I'd get instead. Have always dreamed of a Z, and I expect it to be a forever car, so don't know if I want to sell myself short.

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
Ohhh....I'm considering an M2 Comp (long shot as even though I'm German I vowed to never own a Beemer because their reliability issues), new Mach 1, or C7 of some variant. All somewhat different of course but manual only for me. Used car prices are astronomical and I will never ever ever pay ADM's or even MSRP. Oddly the Mach 1 may make the most sense since you can get them 2% under invoice. I wouldn't describe myself as patient, but I am when it comes to money leaving my wallet :)

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Ohhh....I'm considering an M2 Comp (long shot as even though I'm German I vowed to never own a Beemer because their reliability issues), new Mach 1, or C7 of some variant. All somewhat different of course but manual only for me. Used car prices are astronomical and I will never ever ever pay ADM's or even MSRP. Oddly the Mach 1 may make the most sense since you can get them 2% under invoice. I wouldn't describe myself as patient, but I am when it comes to money leaving my wallet :)
Been looking into the Mach 1 extensively, the GT350 bits are very track worthy, even though the Coyote is the same GT mill. Pricing a bit high for that pkg, but if below invoice that’s a good buy?

siggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A couple
Been looking into the Mach 1 extensively, the GT350 bits are very track worthy, even though the Coyote is the same GT mill. Pricing a bit high for that pkg, but if below invoice that’s a good buy?
Agreed it's a bit pricey for the package. Besides the suspension you get the way better tranny. Can't beat that voodoo sound, but too many issues for me to get comfortable with a GT350. Looks like you're in Cali. Granger Ford in Iowa does the 2% under invoicing with a small admin fee. No other B.S. fees. I still think the Mach 1 is $5k too high or so. But objectively it has things you can't even get in a GT350 like the digital dash. The Mach is a parts bin car, no doubt, but at least it seems to be the best parts in the Mustang catalog lol.

ZZ2022

First Name
Blake
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2008 R35 GTR

Yeah i went used GTR instead of waiting for the Z. They were both my options, and i justified the GTR because it should maintain good resale value too