First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Well my MYLR order just got adjusted again, down by $3K, and coming soon:D. My next Z, Nismo, Hybrid or ?? will have to wait. This because I believe mostly in the stability of the Supercharger network esp. being in CA, they're everywhere even for road trips. AND Fed tax credit is avail (full 7.5K if both car/suv and battery manuf in the US, or 3.5K if battery from overseas), plus in CA another 2K for Clean Air incentive. It's lower than many suvs now.

I'm ready for new tech and trip experiences, have son in Florida. If not too much of a hassle, any new ICE may not happen, hmm. I still have the trusty RB 240Z and Jeep to burn gas.

1681915369386.png

1681915390105.png

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dont ask
Occupation
Thread derailer
Congrats and welcome to the electric world! I honestly love my electric car as a DD. Its so nice never having to go to a gas station. Plus I have solar on my house so I dont even have to pay to charge it! I drive a ton so it actually saves me money. The only down side is long trips.

OP
OP
trackratZ

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Software security
Finding a good trustworthy legit solar company is a huge pain, almost as bad as what Nissan is doing, ugh!

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
Finding a good trustworthy legit solar company is a huge pain, almost as bad as what Nissan is doing, ugh!
This is a legit source for comparison.

https://www.energysage.com/supplier/search

You can price out the recommended size system by having your chosen companies bid for the job, BUT you aren't inundated by emails or phone calls from them. They cannot contact you, even through the website, unless you give them permission.

OP
OP
trackratZ

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Software security
This is a legit source for comparison.

https://www.energysage.com/supplier/search

You can price out the recommended size system by having your chosen companies bid for the job, BUT you aren't inundated by emails or phone calls from them. They cannot contact you, even through the website, unless you give them permission.
I sure will give that a shot, much thanks!! I know it's long term savings but lots of horror companies out there to make fast bucks.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
In Aus, the price to fill up an electric vehicle on a public fast charger is fast approaching that of fuel…plus we are not ready.

There are reports of people in WA driving down to Margaret River(around 4 hours away from Perth) for the long weekend and then getting stuck because the few charges they had were “out of order” and the rest were so inundated that people had to wait hours to use one.

Also in Aus in some states (not WA) power in summer for the last two/three years has been restricted …so having rolling power outages to ensure not a full outage which would affect emergency services, because it’s so hot everyone uses heaps of electricity on air conditioner.

So my question is, if we already have shortages ..how will we cope when 80% of our cars become electric? And how do we cope now, when there is nowhere near enough charging stations available
Simple answer is, we can’t …and we have one of the highest rates per capita in the world for private solar panels

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dont ask
Occupation
Thread derailer
I went with Mosaic. By far not the cheapest but they have been around for a while and all the reviews seemed to be good. I let them spec out the system and its been nice enjoying a credit on my electricity bill instead of owing them money.

OP
OP
trackratZ

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Software security
In Aus, the price to fill up an electric vehicle on a public fast charger is fast approaching that of fuel…plus we are not ready.

There are reports of people in WA driving down to Margaret River(around 4 hours away from Perth) for the long weekend and then getting stuck because the few charges they had were “out of order” and the rest were so inundated that people had to wait hours to use one.

Also in Aus in some states (not WA) power in summer for the last two/three years has been restricted …so having rolling power outages to ensure not a full outage which would affect emergency services, because it’s so hot everyone uses heaps of electricity on air conditioner.

So my question is, if we already have shortages ..how will we cope when 80% of our cars become electric? And how do we cope now, when there is nowhere near enough charging stations available
Simple answer is, we can’t …and we have one of the highest rates per capita in the world for private solar panels
It sure looks like BEV transportation is definitely not ready in Aus. Even our grids where in mid-summer gets overloaded at times, why I'm looking into solar.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I went with Mosaic. By far not the cheapest but they have been around for a while and all the reviews seemed to be good. I let them spec out the system and its been nice enjoying a credit on my electricity bill instead of owing them money.
I’d be interested to know how solar works in Canada… probably around 60 percent of houses have solar in Aus.
When we make too much, the excess goes back to the grid and they give you like 4c per Kilowatt…but in the evening when the sun is down and you have to use the grid they sell that same power back to you at 27c! So then you have to buy a battery to store what you make so you can use the excess in the evening
We have a battery but even it doesn’t store enough to get us through the night.
We still end up with a bill of around $150 every 3 months

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dont ask
Occupation
Thread derailer
I’d be interested to know how solar works in Canada… probably around 60 percent of houses have solar in Aus.
When we make too much, the excess goes back to the grid and they give you like 4c per Kilowatt…but in the evening when the sun is down and you have to use the grid they sell that same power back to you at 27c! So then you have to buy a battery to store what you make so you can use the excess in the evening
We have a battery but even it doesn’t store enough to get us through the night.
We still end up with a bill of around $150 every 3 months
Dont let my location fool you! I am in California. I know, my bad, I should change it so its more clear.

Here in Cali, (at least with my provider) we get a 1:1 transfer rate. So if they are charging 50c per KW, you get 50c for every KW put back into the grid. That rarely happens because those rates are from 4-9pm. During prime solar time, its a lot less but still a 1:1 ratio.

However, for new solar customers (starting this month I believe), it sounds like its the same deal as you. Its something like a 1:5 ratio now. Charge you 50c to use a KW but pay you 10c per KW fed back.

We are lucky that at night, after 9pm, our rates go way down. If batteries werent so expensive, I would love to add one or two to my house so that I never have a bill. This month I ended up with a $5 credit, last month was $35 credit. So its not much but it will help when the summer heat hits and I owe. But you have to keep in mind, this covers me charging my car so I dont have a car fuel bill anymore unless I take out one of my ICE cars. That itself is like a $300-400 a month savings.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
A
Dont let my location fool you! I am in California. I know, my bad, I should change it so its more clear.

Here in Cali, (at least with my provider) we get a 1:1 transfer rate. So if they are charging 50c per KW, you get 50c for every KW put back into the grid. That rarely happens because those rates are from 4-9pm. During prime solar time, its a lot less but still a 1:1 ratio.

However, for new solar customers (starting this month I believe), it sounds like its the same deal as you. Its something like a 1:5 ratio now. Charge you 50c to use a KW but pay you 10c per KW fed back.

We are lucky that at night, after 9pm, our rates go way down. If batteries werent so expensive, I would love to add one or two to my house so that I never have a bill. This month I ended up with a $5 credit, last month was $35 credit. So its not much but it will help when the summer heat hits and I owe. But you have to keep in mind, this covers me charging my car so I dont have a car fuel bill anymore unless I take out one of my ICE cars. That itself is like a $300-400 a month savings.
It’s similar here…after 9pm the rates go down, so you have to be smart of how you use your power, but when you get solar you want to use your pool pump etc at the most expensive time because you are covering it with the solar you are generating (we always generate enough to run the house during the day)
BUT the difference is it’s not one to one, it’s like your new system. Once you have used all you can you export for 7c…come night time you buy it back for 27…big of a rip off
When solar was still new the buy back was much higher, but it keeps going lower. I’m sure given another 10 years it will be next to nothing

But 50c that is huge!…we thought 27c was bad

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dont ask
Occupation
Thread derailer
A
It’s similar here…after 9pm the rates go down, so you have to be smart of how you use your power, but when you get solar you want to use your pool pump etc at the most expensive time because you are covering it with the solar you are generating (we always generate enough to run the house during the day)
BUT the difference is it’s not one to one, it’s like your new system. Once you have used all you can you export for 7c…come night time you buy it back for 27…big of a rip off
When solar was still new the buy back was much higher, but it keeps going lower. I’m sure given another 10 years it will be next to nothing

But 50c that is huge!…we thought 27c was bad
This is Cali we are talking about. Makes your "high" AUS prices look low haha. Actual rates are 53c peak and 19c off peak. In other cites around it can be cheaper but some of those companies won't pay you for what you feed back so there is almost no reason to go solar unless you are home at peak solar time.