First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
I couldn't agree more - I think we are falling way behind our competitors when it comes to all things math and science. I would love to see the govt look to offer 'free' education for those fields to try to promote it more within this country but......eh...it is what it is.
Math, science, and English (reading, writing skills!) not to mention effective communication (debates) are sorely lacking in what I'm seeing in kids these days. They're impatient, want instant results and want the big bucks now. Since I'm now able to scale back my work I volunteer part time in a high school setting. Many of these kids lack those skills esp Math, it's too much work for them, barely passing grades are enough. Too many other distractions, social media, etc. Kids are not focused, not setting goals for post-education and careers 5, 10 years from now.

Iā€™d agree we should promote the technical professions as well, though I think more importantly we as a country should be funding and pushing professions that are currently in demand and necessary, whether thatā€™s trades or graduate careers. There seems to be a lot of shortages in STEM, medical, n tech fields.
STEM is key, will drive our country forward, but I'm just not seeing this pushed as much as my generation did.

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Part of the problem is that the education bailout doesnā€™t target the actual issue but the symptom. I mean we can all admit colleges have shot through the roof in costs over the past 10yrs. What kids have to pay for school now vs what we paid - big difference. Doesnā€™t make it right that there is a bailout but at the same time - I wonder if they actually allowed for kids to include bankruptcy as part of school loans, maybe the idea of ā€˜everyone gets to go to schoolā€™ isnā€™t the best idea. To me - if I had kids - I would definitely be pushing them to get an education that allows for you to pay back your loans or to take care of yourself - the idea of going to school and getting into $100k worth of debt to then get a job that pays so little - it just doesnā€™t make sense to me.
Regardless - i donā€™t see how this helps with the inflation issue but whatever. [
Yes I think the funding situation has allowed universities to increase costs at too high a rate, because they will get their money pretty much guaranteed. When in reality we should be seeing a cost savings, given we are no longer required to use the old "monastic model" of education, where everyone heads to the "monastery" and all the overhead and costs that entails.

Instead we now have the means to distribute info via the internet. We should be seeing significant cost savings with this paradigm shift in distributing education. But there are entrenched interests and weight of history wanting to keep the old model going. There are entire communities who's livelihood depends on keeping the old model running. So it will be tough to change.

I think we also have a problem on the right now, with people who still live in a demon haunted world, wanting decisions made based on supernatural players (gods, devils, demons, angels, etc). It's 2022 and we still have all that malarkey to contend with. So we see officials advocating no science for students K-5. Even in my northerly state of Illinois, we had issues getting evolution taught (a cornerstone of biology) due to the community supernatural beliefs.

ec15

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
A few
Tuition, like everything else will always increase. The average minimum wage increased as well. Saying it is more difficult with today's tuition prices is an excuse for students and government.

Let's hear from students with loans who are actually working towards a meaningful degree. Are they working any job(s) they can get including McDonald's? Or do they think McDonald's is beneath them? How many times are they passing by better and cheaper coffee on their way to Starbucks every day?
Do they have the latest iPhone? Uber or public transportation? Are they contributing to their own increased costs? As I mentioned before, resturants are not going to take the grubhub fees up the @$$.

The government will always target the easy votes based on the "flavor of the month". Forgiving student loans in the generation of social media followers is not a coincidence.
If the government really wants to help, why not lower income taxes for full time students? Do they work with colleges to see why there is an increase? Car insurance rates are regulated by state, why not student loans?

Forgiving student loans is encouraging laziness. There is no such thing as free. Especially free money from the government.

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
Most college kids don't pay taxes because their income is too low.

I guess you'd rather have another corporate bailout so they can purchase more of their own shares while that drives up their price per share? Any corporation making money must pay their minimum fair share in taxes.

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
Bank of America announces zero down payment, zero closing cost mortgages for first-time homebuyers in Black and Hispanic communities nationwide

Residents in selected Charlotte, Dallas, Detroit, Los Angeles and Miami neighborhoods will be offered the program first.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/co...-mortgage-first-time-buyers-details-rcna45662

Here's an excerpt:
Bank of America said it is now offering first-time homebuyers in a select group of cities zero down payment, zero closing cost mortgages to help grow homeownership among Black and Hispanic/Latino communities.

The option will first become available in certain neighborhoods in Charlotte, Dallas, Detroit, Los Angeles and Miami. The new mortgage, called the Community Affordable Loan Solution, aims to help eligible individuals and families obtain an affordable loan to purchase a home, the bank said.

Applicants do not have to be Black or Hispanic to qualify for the product, a bank representative said.

The loans require no mortgage insurance ā€” the additional fee typically charged to buyers who put down less than 20% of the purchase price ā€” and no minimum credit score. Instead, eligibility will be based on factors like timely rent payments and on-time utility bill, phone and auto insurance payments. Prospective buyers must also complete a homebuyer certification course provided by Bank of America and federally approved housing counseling partners before they apply for the loan program, the bank said.
So 0 down, 0 closing costs, no PMI, no minimum credit score... wow

OP
OP
jdm-rhd

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
Bank of America announces zero down payment, zero closing cost mortgages for first-time homebuyers in Black and Hispanic communities nationwide

Residents in selected Charlotte, Dallas, Detroit, Los Angeles and Miami neighborhoods will be offered the program first.

https://www.nbcnews.com/business/co...-mortgage-first-time-buyers-details-rcna45662

Here's an excerpt:

post that in the 'economy thread'
i think it applies....

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
I can see underwriting non-traditional sources as a bill is a bill whether it's a credit card or car loan.

Other factors that I hope will be considered is Proof of Income, Loan to Value, and Payment to Income ratio.

Rent is usually more expensive than a mortgage and buying usually is a wealth builder.

NecioVato

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370z Nismo 6MT
Occupation
web developer
That is a great opportunity for those that are considering their first home. I just wonder with the higher interest rates along with the cost of homes going up considerably - if it will make that much of a difference in the long run. I know that had I not gotten into the home I am now - no way I could get into a home within my current area - I would be effectively priced out and I feel this is the case across many of those cities listed.
If it allows for people to be able to get into a home - good for them - I just hope its not going to create a 2008 all over again - where EVERYONE gets a home bc ā€˜itā€™s the American dreamā€™. And I hope that whoever is looking at buying a home that they are aware of the ā€˜hiddenā€™ costs. Things such as typically oneā€™s electricity and water are much more expensive, there can be HOA fees, if something breaks - if you rent you call your landlord but if not - its on you to fix it. And of course taxes ALWAYS go up; so unless you have kids - you just cringe whenever you see a new school being built. Anyway - my .02

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
Sadly, that's probably the beginning of a scam using FB.
Nah, it's legit - I called lol It's at Vandergriff Chevrolet in Arlington, TX.

Team Chevrolet in Scottsbluff, NE has several for MSRP too.....looks like the smaller dealers (lucky enough to get one) are going MSRP now.

With the Z06 incoming, I'm sure some nice deals can be found this time next year šŸ˜‚

Last edited:

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO

Here's an excerpt:

Add the words "Adjustable Rate" and it's the post 9/11 panic 00's all over again lol