Suspension - Z proto vs 370Z

Zboy

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z32
It's not just low selling volume niche product; both the Tacoma and Frontier are heavy based on their predecessors.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
370Z chassis for sure, but unknown about the suspension.

Also, to call it simply a body kit, it's fair - it's all new sheet metal.

OP
OP
Lin626

Lin626

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MB
Wondering how this "updated" chassis & suspension will compare to the new 86/BRZ?

dkmura

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'03 350Z track, '06 350Z SCCA touring racecar
Occupation
Freelance automotive journalist
Wondering how this "updated" chassis & suspension will compare to the new 86/BRZ?
The BRZ will handle better due to the low mounted boxer four engine. But that motor also lacks the torque and HP that the 370Z has with the VQ37VHR. Despite that, the 370Z (and the 350Z) is a much faster car on a twisty road race track.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
The new 86 is FAR better looking than the last one.

The "community" likes what they have. I am disappointed in the engine. Again. I am sure the 86 handles great. But, it is difficult to deploy that ability on public streets. You can, however, flex some twin turbo V6 muscle from time-to-time, and to me the very few thousand dollar difference between a Z and 86 is totally worth it. I am sure a new Z can hold its own on a track.

BobDigi5060

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
10r80 5.0, G37X, C4 LT1
Even though the twins we're down on power, most editors and enthusiast still preferred it over the 370z. We'll see if it is any different for the next generation.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Even though the twins we're down on power, most editors and enthusiast still preferred it over the 370z. We'll see if it is any different for the next generation.
On a track. I highly doubt someone would choose one of the twins over a Z as a daily driver (aside from 2 seater vs. 4 seater aspect) if the slight cost difference were disregarded.

I'd probably love driving the 86 or a Miata on a track too.

BobDigi5060

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
10r80 5.0, G37X, C4 LT1
On a track. I highly doubt someone would choose one of the twins over a Z as a daily driver (aside from 2 seater vs. 4 seater aspect) if the slight cost difference were disregarded.

I'd probably love driving the 86 or a Miata on a track too.
Most people don't drive on tracks and still preferred the twins over the Z. It didn't come down to cost, lack of power, or having two backseats with no legroom either. It was the better car in the eyes of most on and off the track.

The new twins have an even lower center of gravity, more grunt in lower rpms, more hp, and are 50% more rigid than before. I feel the new Z will need more than turbos and a 9 speed going for it. Looking forward to more details about the weight and improvements over the 370.

DevonK

First Name
Take a guess
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
TBD
Most people don't drive on tracks and still preferred the twins over the Z. It didn't come down to cost, lack of power, or having two backseats with no legroom either. It was the better car in the eyes of most on and off the track.

The new twins have an even lower center of gravity, more grunt in lower rpms, more hp, and are 50% more rigid than before. I feel the new Z will need more than turbos and a 9 speed going for it. Looking forward to more details about the weight and improvements over the 370.
This was certainly the view of most reviewers. Of the several head-to-head and group reviews I`ve seen over the years not one preferred the 370Z to the twins, despite the latters' weak engine and rather agricultural sounds. The new twins will be strong competition for the new Z, unless the Z comes in at a very low starting price - right now in Canada a base 370Z is/was about the same as a loaded twin.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
What I'm seeing on tracks here is, it depends on the track config. Here, wide open tracks like Auto Club Speedway Roval and Willow Springs favor higher hp cars, more Zs with better times than BRZ/GR twins, while techy Buttonwillow equalizes the field more. I do see more 350Zs than 370Zs, though, probably more from affordability and aftermarket than chassis performance. All this I'm not including heavily modded time attack setups where engine and susp mods are way up there, only comparing typical track cars most of us bring.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Just wanted to say my wife prefers her Corolla over everything. According to her it's better than a Tesla model3, and yes she's driven one.

Those of you who are already fans of the 86 and are waiting to see if Nissan addresses whatever it is you find lacking in the chassis, well you'll likely be unimpressed by the outcome as I'm sure the new Z (not a 400Z, ok) won't be much different dynamically from the 370Z. So you can continue to espouse the certain superior traits of the car you already prefer.

There's a couple of things that make the new Z far superior to an 86:

Mullets and gold chains look so much better in the Z. Indisputable fact.

Power around town will be ridiculously far superior over the 86, to me that is worth more than intangible chassis dynamics.

The current Z handles plenty well.

All those who think an 86 is so great, I'm sure there's some Miata and S2000 owners that'd like to have a word or 2 with y'all.

The Z was never king of the hill slayer at every track. Throughout the decades Z's have had competition from crappy little Euro rust bucket convertibles, random Corvettes and random homebrew machines.

Anyway, I'd like a new 86 as my 3rd or 4th car. Definitely be a good runabout.

BobDigi5060

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
10r80 5.0, G37X, C4 LT1
Just wanted to say my wife prefers her Corolla over everything. According to her it's better than a Tesla model3, and yes she's driven one.

Those of you who are already fans of the 86 and are waiting to see if Nissan addresses whatever it is you find lacking in the chassis, well you'll likely be unimpressed by the outcome as I'm sure the new Z (not a 400Z, ok) won't be much different dynamically from the 370Z. So you can continue to espouse the certain superior traits of the car you already prefer.

There's a couple of things that make the new Z far superior to an 86:

Mullets and gold chains look so much better in the Z. Indisputable fact.

Power around town will be ridiculously far superior over the 86, to me that is worth more than intangible chassis dynamics.

The current Z handles plenty well.

All those who think an 86 is so great, I'm sure there's some Miata and S2000 owners that'd like to have a word or 2 with y'all.

The Z was never king of the hill slayer at every track. Throughout the decades Z's have had competition from crappy little Euro rust bucket convertibles, random Corvettes and random homebrew machines.

Anyway, I'd like a new 86 as my 3rd or 4th car. Definitely be a good runabout.
I'm a fan of many cars. Muscle, GTRs, Zs, sport compacts, jdm legends, awd, Porsche, Vette, Audi, VW, old Hondas,, BMW, na, turbo, 86, you name it. The 86 deserves and gets a lot of praise no way around it. I'm sure s2k and miata owners would agree.

I owned a new ap2 s2k for almost a year, but ultimately traded it for a 04 STi and never really looked back. I fell in love with the STi and at the time much preferred it. 15 years later the new 86 is looking to be what I wanted from the s2k (practically same weight, size, but more torque at a lower rpm).

You can't find a review with the 370 and BRZ/86 in which they prefer the Nissan. I've driven both platforms and yeah I get it. I prefer it too despite the power disadvantage. You can always get more power, but the 370 will never feel like the 86/BRZ or be able to shed hundreds of pounds.

A gen 3 Coyote with a 10r80 will sit in my garage for a very long time so the next car doesn't have to be as powerful or quick. I doubt the new Z would be mod for mod or in stock form even with a weight advantage. Time will tell, but don't knock the 86. I may end up with a new Z, but won't have anything bad to say about the Toyota/Subaru. The last gen deserved all the credit it got and the next one on paper and in early reviews is proving to be an improvement in performance.

Factory turbo cars aren't always as reliable as na. Drive belts are snapping left and right on stock and 400+ whp vr30s. I hope the new Z doesn't have the same issues as q50/q60s owners are experiencing.

I'm considering the new Supra, Z, WRX, and gr86. In about two years if or when the first model year issues for both come to light on the Z and gr86 come to light I'll be able to make that choice ?

dkmura

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'03 350Z track, '06 350Z SCCA touring racecar
Occupation
Freelance automotive journalist
While I've driven or raced a variety of lower-powered cars on racetracks around the country, the Z always had an advantage with power off the turns (assuming equal tires) and top end at the end of a straightaway. It's why the SCCA comp board has saddled the 350/370Z with restrictors and weight (lead) in class. Not that the tables can't be turned, as the ponycar V8s or turbo cars can also outpower the Z on road racing tracks in the next higher class.

having said all that, the revised BRZ/GR86 hold little interest for me. If I wanted to go that route, the MX5 roadster is more appealing for several reasons.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
While I've driven or raced a variety of lower-powered cars on racetracks around the country, the Z always had an advantage with power off the turns (assuming equal tires) and top end at the end of a straightaway. It's why the SCCA comp board has saddled the 350/370Z with restrictors and weight (lead) in class. Not that the tables can't be turned, as the ponycar V8s or turbo cars can also outpower the Z on road racing tracks in the next higher class.

having said all that, the revised BRZ/GR86 hold little interest for me. If I wanted to go that route, the MX5 roadster is more appealing for several reasons.
If you are going to go the "underpowered momentum machine" route I would far prefer the Miata MX5. I can trade a gutless 4 banger for some drop-top action.