Storage Space & Practicality

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Dang, that Nissan rear deck is high. :(

The vehicle length and wheelbase of the Z and my BRZ are nearly the same, but the latter manages a serviceable truck and rear seat that can be used in a pinch or for cargo.

I wonder what Nissan is using all that space for under the rear deck? I assumed a spare, but then read there is no spare in the new Z?

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
Dang, that Nissan rear deck is high. :(

The vehicle length and wheelbase of the Z and my BRZ are nearly the same, but the latter manages a serviceable truck and rear seat that can be used in a pinch or for cargo.

I wonder what Nissan is using all that space for under the rear deck? I assumed a spare, but then read there is no spare in the new Z?
Sub, tire repair kit, foam. On the 370 the sub fit down in the spare tire and had less foam from what I remember.

1643844928943.png

1643845227465.png

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
The Z shares the same FM platform as the Infiniti sedan and coupe. Both the Infiniti coupe and Z suffer a small trunk because of the way the muffler is, it's a "suitcase" style muffler and requires the floor to be higher.
On the Infiniti sedan, it uses 2 regular style mufflers that sit on either side of the spare tire well. The Infiniti sedan actually has good trunk space.

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 Challenger Scat Pack, 1996 Rx-7
I'd rather have a spare tire.
I wonder if there's a spare tire in the Sport version since it doesn't have the Bose audio.....?

I had a 2008 911 Carrera S that had the Bose "upgrade". That was without a doubt the worst car audio I have ever heard. For such a wonderful car, they someow managed to give it a complete cr@pfest of an audio system.

memelord

First Name
Toua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Occupation
Military
I wonder if there's a spare tire in the Sport version since it doesn't have the Bose audio.....?

I had a 2008 911 Carrera S that had the Bose "upgrade". That was without a doubt the worst car audio I have ever heard. For such a wonderful car, they someow managed to give it a complete cr@pfest of an audio system.
63B14ACF-1B21-48A6-94B4-DD506F375253.gif

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
If a woman wants something bad enough she will make it fit….I’ve had little sports cars all my life, I’ll always manage to fit the weekly shop in it, even if I have to fill the front seat with bags as well

ill make it fit ?

Edit, I had a Honda Civic type R when I had two kids under 10…it had a back seat…good enough to fit a baby seat and a booster. It’s surprising what you can get in a car if you really try

Last edited:

ZedNotZee

I'd rather have a spare tire.

From what I know about tire sizes, arguably very little, I don't see why the Performance model would carry a spare as the front and rear tires are different sizes. The front tire actually has a larger circumference, mind you the difference is not great: the front's sidewall is 5.75mm taller than the rear's. The Sport model could conceivably carry a space-saver spare as all the tires are the same size and if the Bose subwoofer (?) is not included in the Sport model leaving a place to store the spare.

Tire repair kits are "easy" to use . . . once you find the hole. I will upgrade the kit in my Z and include a small 12 volt compressor rather than use the apparently included a bottle of CO2, or whatever it is, that likely has some sort of sealant in it. I'm not sure how a TPMS would like being coated with sealant and the guys at the tire shop would probably appreciate it if the sealant wasn't inside your tire when they dismount it from the rim.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Going back to 280ZX and Z31 days, those cars had the collapsed spare with an inflator kit. Of all those ZXs I've seen over the years, I never saw one that had been used. I bet most people didn't even bother back then and just called for help.

I always wondered what would have happened if I tried inflating one of those spares 20+ years later.... The inflator cans were always rusty...

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
From what I know about tire sizes, arguably very little, I don't see why the Performance model would carry a spare as the front and rear tires are different sizes. The front tire actually has a larger circumference, mind you the difference is not great: the front's sidewall is 5.75mm taller than the rear's. The Sport model could conceivably carry a space-saver spare as all the tires are the same size and if the Bose subwoofer (?) is not included in the Sport model leaving a place to store the spare.

Tire repair kits are "easy" to use . . . once you find the hole. I will upgrade the kit in my Z and include a small 12 volt compressor rather than use the apparently included a bottle of CO2, or whatever it is, that likely has some sort of sealant in it. I'm not sure how a TPMS would like being coated with sealant and the guys at the tire shop would probably appreciate it if the sealant wasn't inside your tire when they dismount it from the rim.
If providing a spare, then most manufacturers will probably provide one that will technically work on either the front or rear of a factory staggered wheel setup. For RWD best practice should be to stick the spare up front, so if you blow a rear tire just swap the front wheel to the rear.

ZedNotZee

If providing a spare, then most manufacturers will probably provide one that will technically work on either the front or rear of a factory staggered wheel setup. For RWD best practice should be to stick the spare up front, so if you blow a rear tire just swap the front wheel to the rear.
All true, especially not putting a space-saver spare on a drive wheel.

A space-saver spare would have to be a compromise between the front and rear sizes. Not sure how swapping a front to rear would effect the car, given their different sizes. On the Sport model none of this is a concern.

On my AWD SUV I was cautioned that unless the tires were very new, putting a new tire on the vehicle with 3 worn tires (therefore smaller) would create havoc for the AWD system, which is primarily FWD until traction calls for all 4 wheels to be engaged, if that makes sense.

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
This 370Z owner removed the items and foam blocking from under the stock rear deck, and installed some fitted carpet. Seems to provide a decent cargo space increase:

https://www.350z-uk.com/topic/91728-boot-too-small-so-stripped-out-re-trimmed-now-huge/
1643911777864.png
Interesting. This should be doable on the new Z as well then.

EDIT: The only issue though would be the amp in the back for the Performance trim. Unless you don't care for that and remove it, but then you're stereo system will sound horrendous.

Last edited: