First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1973 Datsun 240Z, 1993 Nissan 300ZX
Occupation
gainfully unemployed.
One last point on this topic, the manual states that in changing a tire (by jacking up the car) you need to put wheel chocks on the diagonal wheel of the one you are changing (i.e. if the rear right is to be changed the front left must be chocked). I was just at Harbor Freight and they had heavy duty rubber chocks on sale for $4.99 apiece for club members (list $7.99.) so I picked up a pair. A word to the wise.
I actually had to use the 370Z spare that I added to my new 2023 Z. I just used the chocks from my 240Z... :D

Lots of old Z stuff remains useful!
wheel chocks.JPG

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
I actually had to use the 370Z spare that I added to my new 2023 Z. I just used the chocks from my 240Z... :D

Lots of old Z stuff remains useful!
wheel chocks.JPG
Oh I've been debating adding the spare. This might push me to do it. What happened?

Once the spare is on the car, how much above the deck does the full-size stick up?

Finally, do the rear 007s stick any better with the spare and jack in the trunk 😉?

jayhawk70

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
gainfully unemployed.
The Tire Low pressure warning Display came as I was backing out of the garage. Found a screw at the edge of the tire area (rear tire). Mounted the spare and took it to the local Nissan dealer and my America's Tire dealer hoping they could just patch it. Nissan said tire was too worn on the edges (from apparent under inflated mileage). America's Tire said it was just outside of the tread repair area. Ordered an OEM stock replacement tire at America's tire as they were about $120 cheaper installed than Nissan.

The Tire Pressure dash display not only shows individual tire pressure, it also shows the correct inflation pressure for each tire (Performance trim: 32 psi for front tires, 29 for the rear tires).

The space saver spare fits completely in the depression left for the 370Z space saver spare. so the rear deck is still flat.

Oh Yes, the 007s with the extra 30 lbs in the rear makes the new Z AWESOME QUICK! Now I'm beating dual motor Tesla Plaids, Vettes, Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, even Don Garlits' Top Fuel dragsters!

(Just channeling Walter Mitty...):rolleyes:

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
The space saver spare fits completely in the depression left for the 370Z space saver spare. so the rear deck is still flat.
I was asking more about placing the regular tire in the tire well area (while you're driving on the spare). The regular tire is probably much wider, so I'd expect it would stick up above the deck. Or maybe you wouldn't even place it in the well and just set it on top.

Oh Yes, the 007s with the extra 30 lbs in the rear makes the new Z AWESOME QUICK! Now I'm beating dual motor Tesla Plaids, Vettes, Ferrari's, Lamborghini's, even Don Garlits' Top Fuel dragsters!

(Just channeling Walter Mitty...):rolleyes:
I knew it! Cost cutting killed the Z's advantage over these cars. 😉

jayhawk70

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
gainfully unemployed.
The regular tire does not sit flat in the spare tire well because of its width. It cannot get under a lip at the back of the spare tire well. I placed it angled up from the spare tire well toward the front of the car. It does take up a lot of room but we were able to close the hatch.

If you are traveling with luggage, you might have a problem.

After the fact, I found out about the tire repair plug kits that would have worked in my case. Could plug the leak and pressurize the tire with the 2023Z air pump without using the sealant. (that I'm told could wreck the pressure monitor sensor in the tire).

https://www.amazon.com/Tire-Patch-P...3356117&sprefix=tire+worm,aps,159&sr=8-1&th=1

Now I have both the space saver spare and a tire repair kit in my 2023 Z. (the new Zs air pump and sealant are now in my 240Z with its 50 year old OEM spare tire...)

And of course I carry an Auto Club card!

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
If you are traveling with luggage, you might have a problem.
Yeah, this was my concern. It seems like the main reason I'd want the spare is to avoid getting stuck in the middle of nowhere with a flat while on a road trip, and a road trip is when I'm most likely to have luggage.

And of course I carry an Auto Club card!
My solution as well.

In town, you'll probably notice the issue before it becomes a real problem, and might be able to limp to a tire store to get it fixed.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
It's nice that newer Nissans show each tire pressure individually on the cluster. Just keep that screen up on a road trip, you'd probably be able to detect a leak with plenty of time to get it looked at.

Wader

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z, 2017 Nissan Navara, 2016 Subaru STI
DSC_2957.JPG
DSC_2954.JPG

I just did this on a 2023 Performance.

Get yourself a spare wheel from a 2015-2018 Q50 or 370Z Nismo. Make sure it's the 18x4 size. NOT THE 17".
Clears the Akebono's on the Performance.

You'll retain the bose system inside the spare and all your covers and foam will fit just as OE. Pick up a Jack kit from a 370Z or Q also.

Still don't understand why it wasn't there from the factory. Wieght savings or cost cutting?
Where did you find a black one. The dealer found a white one for me I believe from a 370z new. Is the black off an Infiniti. The wheel itself looks the same.