Splash Guards and Spare Tire

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Thanks very much! Just got my wheel/tire and jack on eBay. Should be here by the weekend or early next week. I'm sure Nissan will tell us it is for weight savings, but I know darn well that it is becasue it's saving them a few bucks on every car sold.
Those fancy hood poppers are expensive, something's gotta go!

JimboZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Performance MT
Occupation
Retired
With information from Bucko and others, I put a spare in my Performance a couple of days ago. Got the spare on eBay but couldn't find the jack online. I called my Nissan dealer to see if there is a jack for the 2023 Z. There is so I bought it through them. It came without a lug wrench so I had to order it separately. Jack was $250, rod to turn jack $35 and lug wrench $99. I know this price was way high but I got what I wanted. The spare fit perfectly on the car and in the hatch. The tools and jack have slots in the foam for them. One other bonus is that the bass from the stereo sounds noticeably better. Maybe the tire and wheel resonate better than the foam insert. I'm no longer bummed about poor sound. Thanks to Bucko and others for the information.

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
With information from Bucko and others, I put a spare in my Performance a couple of days ago. Got the spare on eBay but couldn't find the jack online. I called my Nissan dealer to see if there is a jack for the 2023 Z. There is so I bought it through them. It came without a lug wrench so I had to order it separately. Jack was $250, rod to turn jack $35 and lug wrench $99. I know this price was way high but I got what I wanted. The spare fit perfectly on the car and in the hatch. The tools and jack have slots in the foam for them. One other bonus is that the bass from the stereo sounds noticeably better. Maybe the tire and wheel resonate better than the foam insert. I'm no longer bummed about poor sound. Thanks to Bucko and others for the information.
I've been thinking of doing this. Can you share a photo?

JimboZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Performance MT
Occupation
Retired
I was told to be sure to get the 18ā€ wheel. My spare tire is: T145/70R18 107M. Iā€™m no car mechanic but it was even easy for me. Printed the jacking instructions from the 370Z manual. Said to set the jack between two notches in the frame. Same notches is the new Z.

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
I was told to be sure to get the 18ā€ wheel. My spare tire is: T145/70R18 107M. Iā€™m no car mechanic but it was even easy for me. Printed the jacking instructions from the 370Z manual. Said to set the jack between two notches in the frame. Same notches is the new Z.
Thanks @JimboZ. I've been wondering this: if you have to use the spare, do you think the full size tire (say the rear) will fit in the well? It's pretty wide. I suspect it would hold up the cover.

JimboZ

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Performance MT
Occupation
Retired
I wondered the same thing when I pulled the front tire. The 370 manual says to put the spare in the well and put the rear mat on top which I assume would protect the glass, as you probably wonā€™t be able to totally close the hatch. I figured at worse I can leave the tire and get it later with another car. Iā€™m 70 and donā€™t want to test it as my back is toast. If someone has an answer please let us know. Thanks.

jayhawk70

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1973 Datsun 240Z, 1993 Nissan 300ZX
Occupation
gainfully unemployed.
I've been thinking of doing this. Can you share a photo?
I did this also for our cross country trip in the new Z. (Kansas City to California on US Highway 50). Bought the 370Z spare on ebay and a generic Nissan jack and tool set from Amazon (about $50). I had to remove a little foam to fit the generic jack, but everything fit.

(I'm thinking of moving the air pump and sealant bottle to our 240Z - because the 240Z spare is 50+ years old!...šŸ˜€)

the 370 Spare in our 2023 Z.
PXL_20230612_125721826.jpg

Ramman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z
Occupation
engineer
When you mention the need for the 370 top piece what are you referring to?
9E083320-FEB0-4931-95FC-EAD02339EE47.jpeg
BF6140F7-7099-400D-9AA2-B3A0ED2F2EAC.jpeg
40A57752-B82A-4207-93D5-8EA9D660709C.jpeg

[/QUOTE]

Reactions: Mud

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
One other bonus is that the bass from the stereo sounds noticeably better. Maybe the tire and wheel resonate better than the foam insert.
Because that sub was designed for the 370Z and it's spare back in '09

Ramman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z
Occupation
engineer
Do you know that the 370Z spare tire will fit the lugs of the 2023 Z performance? Wil it have any detrimental effects on the pressure sensors.

OP
OP
Bucko

Bucko

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Permformance Black Diamond Pearl (Graphite)
Do you know that the 370Z spare tire will fit the lugs of the 2023 Z performance? Wil it have any detrimental effects on the pressure sensors.
It will fit, however, you need the 18" spare. I'm quoting from Lgata's post earlier in this thread:
"Get yourself a spare wheel from a 2015-2018 Q50 or 370Z Nismo. Make sure it's the 18x4 size. NOT THE 17".
Clears the Akebono's on the Performance." I followed his advice and it works perfectly.

I don't believe there should be any concern about the sensors, as using the spare is only a temporary thing.

Ramman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z
Occupation
engineer
I just received both the 370Z 18" spare and the jack which I then loaded into the rear "spare hole" of the 2023Z. My question is when the Bose speaker was first removed there was a round cylindrical plastic piece about 10" in diameter by about 3" high with the printing FR, EA, and an arrow on one of it's surfaces. .Was that for the speaker's mounting, which the spare tire's hub now replaces"?

Last edited:
OP
OP
Bucko

Bucko

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Permformance Black Diamond Pearl (Graphite)
I just received both the 370Z 18" spare and the jack which I then loaded into the rear "spare hole" of the 2023Z. My question is when the Bose speaker was first removed there was a round cylindrical plastic piece about 10" in diameter by about 3" high with the printing FR, EA, and an arrow on one of it's surfaces. .Was that for the speaker's mounting, which the spare tire's hub now replaces"?
Yes, remove the round plastic piece. The spare wheel takes its place.

Ramman

First Name
Richard
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z
Occupation
engineer
Yes, remove the round plastic piece. The spare wheel takes its place.
One last point on this topic, the manual states that in changing a tire (by jacking up the car) you need to put wheel chocks on the diagonal wheel of the one you are changing (i.e. if the rear right is to be changed the front left must be chocked). I was just at Harbor Freight and they had heavy duty rubber chocks on sale for $4.99 apiece for club members (list $7.99.) so I picked up a pair. A word to the wise.