Sponsored

Pop-up hood (popper delete kit) installed with pics

FlagonFly

Active Member
Joined
Jan 2, 2026
Threads
7
Messages
41
Reaction score
41
Location
Memphis, TN
Car(s)
2025 Z Perf 6MT
Occupation
IT
Apologize haven't read all the pages here, but let's say the poppers deploy and no other major damage occurred, e.g. hitting a curb?? What would cause $6K in 'damages', the popper replacements and what else?? Thanks still contemplating this but also leery about any future warranty and/or insurance claims if poppers removed or bypassed, God forbid.

I tried unbolting the poppers but that passenger lower bolt is almost impossible to loosen, gave up for now.
guy on yt just posted today on this kit, he moved a lot of stuff out of the way to reach the bolts! A long skinny rachet extension with universal not get to it?

 

FSUZ33

Well-Known Member
First Name
Chad
Joined
Feb 23, 2025
Threads
44
Messages
1,527
Reaction score
1,927
Location
Tallahassee, FL
Car(s)
‘24 Z NISMO
if it is $6k, half of that would be the poppers themselves as they’re ~$1,450 ea.
Speculation, but the rest could be control module replacement (SRS?) And possibly the hood hinges themselves, as I’m not sure if they’re reusable.
Although there are companies that rebuild poppers and reset modules for a fraction of the replacement price.
 

5thZ

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2025
Threads
10
Messages
382
Reaction score
261
Location
Greenville, SC
Car(s)
Nissan Z
Apologize haven't read all the pages here, but let's say the poppers deploy and no other major damage occurred, e.g. hitting a curb?? What would cause $6K in 'damages', the popper replacements and what else?? Thanks still contemplating this but also leery about any future warranty and/or insurance claims if poppers removed or bypassed, God forbid.

I tried unbolting the poppers but that passenger lower bolt is almost impossible to loosen, gave up for now.
Heard loud and clear on that PITA bolt. Ended up using pliers to get it initially loose, then the rubber portion of a plier handle to grip and rotate without fear of rounding off the edges of the nut.

It is a nut so make sure you have a magnetic grabber ready.

Other people are saying that the $6k+ in damages is from the popper causing the air bag system to deploy as well.
 

trackratZ

Well-Known Member
First Name
August
Joined
Mar 23, 2021
Threads
101
Messages
2,815
Reaction score
5,410
Location
So CA
Car(s)
25 Z Perf 6MT, Cayman S (track), MX5 Club (autox)
Occupation
Software security
Heard loud and clear on that PITA bolt. Ended up using pliers to get it initially loose, then the rubber portion of a plier handle to grip and rotate without fear of rounding off the edges of the nut.

It is a nut so make sure you have a magnetic grabber ready.

Other people are saying that the $6k+ in damages is from the popper causing the air bag system to deploy as well.
So, you're using the resistors that @FSUZ33 made and so far good that NO codes are thrown. Let's say sensors get triggered by hitting something, what happens now, airbag (popper) light will still come on and resistors need replacing? Sorry for my electrical newbie-ness.
 

5thZ

Well-Known Member
Joined
Apr 8, 2025
Threads
10
Messages
382
Reaction score
261
Location
Greenville, SC
Car(s)
Nissan Z
So, you're using the resistors that @FSUZ33 made and so far good that NO codes are thrown. Let's say sensors get triggered by hitting something, what happens now, airbag (popper) light will still come on and resistors need replacing? Sorry for my electrical newbie-ness.
I am using the resistors FSUZ33 built, so far no issues. I ended up buying extra because I'm not sure how the new Z will do on the track and if it will throw a "popper code" or whatever to initiate the hood poppers on hard braking or potential, knock on wood, off track events.

If that's the case from my limited electrical knowledge they would be toast possibly but they're so cheap I would feel safer just replacing them anyways.

My understanding of the new safety platform is the poppers might deploy but maybe not air bags, but sometimes air bags. But perhaps I'm wrong, though. I personally just didn't like the idea of getting a wheel or two off track and hood poppers deploying even if air bags don't - that's a huge PITA and track weekend ruined, plus whatever else would need to be replaced in the immediate vicinity
 

trackratZ

Well-Known Member
First Name
August
Joined
Mar 23, 2021
Threads
101
Messages
2,815
Reaction score
5,410
Location
So CA
Car(s)
25 Z Perf 6MT, Cayman S (track), MX5 Club (autox)
Occupation
Software security
I am using the resistors FSUZ33 built, so far no issues. I ended up buying extra because I'm not sure how the new Z will do on the track and if it will throw a "popper code" or whatever to initiate the hood poppers on hard braking or potential, knock on wood, off track events.

If that's the case from my limited electrical knowledge they would be toast possibly but they're so cheap I would feel safer just replacing them anyways.

My understanding of the new safety platform is the poppers might deploy but maybe not air bags, but sometimes air bags. But perhaps I'm wrong, though. I personally just didn't like the idea of getting a wheel or two off track and hood poppers deploying even if air bags don't - that's a huge PITA and track weekend ruined, plus whatever else would need to be replaced in the immediate vicinity
That scenario is my main concern, setting the Z for track later this year, we have curbing that I ride over for better times, here at Buttonwillow and Chuckwalla, don't want to chance blowing the poppers!! I may even enter a local autox to feel the setup, not thrilled about hitting a cone and doing similar damage, ugh!
 

FSUZ33

Well-Known Member
First Name
Chad
Joined
Feb 23, 2025
Threads
44
Messages
1,527
Reaction score
1,927
Location
Tallahassee, FL
Car(s)
‘24 Z NISMO
whether it’s the Top Secret ones from Nengun or the ones I made, they’re one time use (or one time pop). A car can send from 1 to 3 amps to actuate them. At 12VDC that’s 12 to 36 watts. Mine are (were, I’m out) 1 watt. And by the looks of the Nengun ones they’re 2 watt max. Preferably to have one that will pop quickly or one that’s built to handle the wattage, which would be expensive and need a heatsink or be attached to something metal to dissipate heat. im Sure there’s someone here who knows more about this than me though.
 

Schantin

Well-Known Member
Joined
Mar 27, 2026
Threads
11
Messages
58
Reaction score
183
Location
Texas
Website
www.youtube.com
Car(s)
2026 Nissan Z; 2002 Camaro Z28
Occupation
ER Nurse
I am using the resistors FSUZ33 built, so far no issues. I ended up buying extra because I'm not sure how the new Z will do on the track and if it will throw a "popper code" or whatever to initiate the hood poppers on hard braking or potential, knock on wood, off track events.

If that's the case from my limited electrical knowledge they would be toast possibly but they're so cheap I would feel safer just replacing them anyways.

My understanding of the new safety platform is the poppers might deploy but maybe not air bags, but sometimes air bags. But perhaps I'm wrong, though. I personally just didn't like the idea of getting a wheel or two off track and hood poppers deploying even if air bags don't - that's a huge PITA and track weekend ruined, plus whatever else would need to be replaced in the immediate vicinity
I'm 100% with your logic. I finally got my Nengum sourced poppers, but will not be discarding the ones from FSUZ33. If I mow over a rabbit enroute to work and have doubts, hopefully I can just switch to the new poppers and keep on driving. :)
 

jliuod

Active Member
Joined
Jul 21, 2026
Threads
7
Messages
35
Reaction score
35
Location
USA
Car(s)
2025 Integra Type S. 2026 Nissan Z Performance
I just ordered some 2.2ohm , 1/2 watt resistors. I will be using them to the stock harnesses. I think the price tag on the commercially available product is a bit steep for what it is. My understanding is simply connecting the two ends of the resistor to the stock plug. Will report back once it is done.
 

2Cool

Well-Known Member
First Name
Ian
Joined
Dec 3, 2025
Threads
9
Messages
81
Reaction score
174
Location
Florida
Car(s)
2024 Nissan Z Performance

FSUZ33

Well-Known Member
First Name
Chad
Joined
Feb 23, 2025
Threads
44
Messages
1,527
Reaction score
1,927
Location
Tallahassee, FL
Car(s)
‘24 Z NISMO
I just ordered some 2.2ohm , 1/2 watt resistors. I will be using them to the stock harnesses. I think the price tag on the commercially available product is a bit steep for what it is. My understanding is simply connecting the two ends of the resistor to the stock plug. Will report back once it is done.
Correct. What you get from a setup at least with the mating connector is the reliable connection. It can be accomplished with resistors and electrical tape, but you have to consider all of it getting hot and vibrating around. If you go the “shove it between the contacts and tape” method, it may help to fold the leads of the resistor on themselves before inserting to wedge in a little tighter fit. Especially if they’re really thin. A higher wattage can get you thinker leads I believe.
 

hohenheim

New Member
First Name
Martin
Joined
Sep 14, 2026
Threads
0
Messages
4
Reaction score
0
Location
AR
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z, 1990 300zx
Correct. What you get from a setup at least with the mating connector is the reliable connection. It can be accomplished with resistors and electrical tape, but you have to consider all of it getting hot and vibrating around. If you go the “shove it between the contacts and tape” method, it may help to fold the leads of the resistor on themselves before inserting to wedge in a little tighter fit. Especially if they’re really thin. A higher wattage can get you thinker leads I believe.
There shouldn't be any issues with the way you built your resistive load. If you really want a beefy setup try the one below with leads into the plug you guys found. Only thing that will happen if the hood poppers are supposed to blow is that the resistor burns up and sometimes you will find that the resistor still reads fine but under load it will read incorrectly. I would just use the 1W resistor you guys are using and not worry about it. Great suggestion to pot the resistor although I just plan on 3d printing a removable cover in case it does blow and I can replace at a later time. Again, you guys should be fine with the resistor setup you suggested that kits a bit.....overpriced

If you're just gonna shove a resistor into the connector put shrink tubing over it and heat up the open side and clamp it shut so it seals the end to make it waterproof

1790643322960-ap.webp
 
 






Top