Orion

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Crappy Chevy
Are you sure? What other examples of this can we find? That's part of what I'm struggling with in terms of not directly blaming Nissan for consciously moving the Z up market. Like, has the Mustang suddenly jumped into a new price bracket without anyone noticing? The Cayman? The Corvette?

I know we're trying to keep things positive, here, so I won't belabor the point any more than I need to. Not trying to drag others down with my own frustration.
You have a right to be frustrated. You don't have to justify that to anyone.

JoeTX

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Bike
Occupation
Broker/ Software Engineer
I was really excited to get the car, now i will have to shop around. the Camaro 1LE sounds like a better option at 50k, i will wait and see it in person and see if there is any added B.S from the dealerships to jack up the price

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
Are you sure? What other examples of this can we find? That's part of what I'm struggling with in terms of not directly blaming Nissan for consciously moving the Z up market. Like, has the Mustang suddenly jumped into a new price bracket without anyone noticing? The Cayman? The Corvette?

I know we're trying to keep things positive, here, so I won't belabor the point any more than I need to. Not trying to drag others down with my own frustration.
No other performance car made this jump. Current times is a shit excuse. There's zero justification for the significant price increase.

nisslover

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
G37S Sedan 6-spd

I think you're looking for a direct comparison, but it's the market in general... We now live in a world where a top-of-the-line Rogue, along with its competitors can cross the $40k threshold, and a popularly equipped Altima is $32-34k with a 4-cyl/turbo-4... prices have been creeping up over the years. It's just a shocker because the last new Z was released in a completely different era. You also can't find many examples where a manufacturer took 10+ years to redesign a car that was actively on sale all those years (look no further than Nissan).

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
No other performance car made this jump. Current times is a shit excuse. There's zero justification for the significant price increase.
That's where I keep landing, too, and I don't *want* to cast aspersions on Nissan but this feels like a deliberate move.

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
That's where I keep landing, too, and I don't *want* to cast aspersions on Nissan but this feels like a deliberate move.
It's basically Nissan wanting a piece of the expected dealer ADM. Overall - kind of a crummy time to be buying a car.

I'd probably have to engage in an aggravating (and likely fruitless) treasure hunt, to land a 40k USD MSRP Sport deal anytime soon. Something I'm not inclined to waste time on, especially with Chicagoland dealers. Situation is what it is.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
I think you're looking for a direct comparison, but it's the market in general... We now live in a world where a top-of-the-line Rogue, along with its competitors can cross the $40k threshold, and a popularly equipped Altima is $32-34k with a 4-cyl/turbo-4... prices have been creeping up over the years. It's just a shocker because the last new Z was released in a completely different era. You also can't find many examples where a manufacturer took 10+ years to redesign a car that was actively on sale all those years (look no further than Nissan).
You're *definitely* right about most vehicles steadily increasing in price over the years. Most sports cars do have relatively long generational cycles, though.

Take the current generation Mustang GT: in 2015 it started from $32,925 and as of 2022 it starts from $37,275. So, there's a 12% [EDIT: 13%] increase in baseline price, which is pretty substantial. I get that the Z feels like much more of a gut punch because the increase is basically all happening at once - the base price was almost frozen from 2009-2020 for the 370Z.

But, then again, if we accept the premise that this increase is just the Z "catching up" to market price increases it had previously not been making, why aren't other sportscars doing this level of jump, as well? Shouldn't the 2023 Mustang have jumped up to like $42,000? Shouldn't they all have seen this kind of increase in recent iterations?

Last edited:

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
They drop this bomb on pricing.. but none of the reviews cover the sport model.
Exactly right. I've noticed this, as well. Some reviews I've been reading mention it but only as a very brief aside. As if to say "that's not the one you're going to purchase, come on, now." 😂

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Mail Carrier
If the sport could get the LSD and brakes I'd be all for it, but it doesn't so I'm not.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
No, the C8 has remained exceptionally stable in its first few years, and it only increased marginally from the C7:

2019 Corvette Stingray - $56,590
2020 Corvette - $59,995

So, that's what, a 6% increase for moving to an entirely new platform and layout? That was actually extremely impressive.
Yeah but what will it be in 2022 with covid effected issues?

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Mail Carrier