West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
What’s interesting to me is the excitement on the Australian page after a week of digesting the price and watching reviews to the disappointment on the US page
Maybe it’s just shock?

I must say the price increments are interesting.
We don’t even have the option of the Sport model, and I’m wondering if the Performace model has had a couple of grand extra to offset how cheap that entry point is….my reasoning is the price difference between the performance and the Proto
In Australia the difference between the two is close to 8k or 5.5K US, but the difference between the two in the Us is only 3K
Makes me think ….if the real cost of the base should have been 42k performance 48k (which would then on conversion be the same as Australia and have a similar price difference between performance and Proto)and the Proto remain at 53k .
Its almost like they promised an entry point of 40k that they couldn’t deliver, so they made the performance 2k more than it was planned for and the Sport 2k cheaper to deliver on the promised 40k mark.
Now this is just my brain working in its strange way …but it kinda makes sense

therumblewagon

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
CX-5, Elantra N
I’m hesitant to buy into anything prior to Monday, however if it is 50k for Premium, Nissan isn’t just shooting themselves in the foot—they’re RPG’ing that sucker into oblivion.
Welp

In all seriousness, I am...kind of bummed. This wasn't the news I was hoping to wake up to this morning.

The only silver lining I could see here is this might (the MOST emphasis on might possible) deter ADMs.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Welp

In all seriousness, I am...kind of bummed. This wasn't the news I was hoping to wake up to this morning.

The only silver lining I could see here is this might (the MOST emphasis on might possible) deter ADMs.
Maybe that’s part of the mindset? Wouldn’t it be great if Nissan said NO ADM, otherwise your not be getting any cars first up, and that the dealer delivery cost is inbuilt, and it’s 3k?? Then those who said wouldn’t charge over the recommended price would have a dilemma…do they take the built in fee, or offer a discount?

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
So what your saying is …you want a Z that’s better than a Supra that’s 10k cheaper?
All I can say is look at the reviews…they are positive, the car is fast a joy to drive and fun ….
The base model is the base model because the Z is a young guys dream for modding, makes it affordable for those who want to take it apart and put it back together
The performance is for those who don’t want to touch it other than perhaps lowering it and giving it some track ready wheels

Onviously everyone has their own thoughts and opinions… but I give you the same challenge as one of the other posters.
Sit on it for a day or two, watch as many reviews as you can, let the dust settle and then compare the two cars your most likely to purchase not on the disappointment of it not costing what you had in mind but actual one for one comparison

You may change your mind… you may not …but give the shock a chance to wear off

I’m excited
Oh, I'll definitely be digging into the reviews today to see what's what. I think I already grasp the bullet points, though.

As to your first question.... Yes. I mean, don't we *all* want that? I suspect what you mean is that we shouldn't have expected it, which is probably true.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, at all, so let me state my specific position: within a single generation, the Z went from "car I can easily afford" to "car I cannot afford outside of the decontented base model" and that's frustrating. There's a substantial difference between a $36,000 car (like, say, a 2020 Sport trim) and a $50,000 car in terms of its market position, I imagine we'd agree on that.

I'm not a modder. My Z is my daily driver so it's largely unmolested outside of some small cosmetic changes. I'm trying to figure out how we can believe that $40,000 is a reasonable amount for a young person to spend on a vehicle they intend to dismantle. Maybe we define "young" differently. Or perhaps our parameters for affordability are just vastly different.

It's totally possible that I am a complete outlier, here. Maybe your average Z buyer has a high income and/or low overall cost of living. Maybe they tend to be older. Well, I'm off to get into these reviews! Such a lovely-looking car, isn't it?

tcaustin

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GMC Sierra
Occupation
Physician
Well I’m out for now. Great car but not worth $50k plus ADM plus destination and all the other dealer fees, so $55k US out the door. Maybe in a few years after the market crashes and they’re selling these at a discount I’ll get one. For now I’m going to enjoy the Miata RF club I got at MSRP. Good luck to all of y’all. Enjoy your new Zs. I’ll be a little jealous seeing them on the streets but will be happy for y’all.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Oh, I'll definitely be digging into the reviews today to see what's what. I think I already grasp the bullet points, though.

As to your first question.... Yes. I mean, don't we *all* want that? I suspect what you mean is that we shouldn't have expected it, which is probably true.

I'm not trying to be argumentative, at all, so let me state my specific position: within a single generation, the Z went from "car I can easily afford" to "car I cannot afford outside of the decontented base model" and that's frustrating. There's a substantial difference between a $36,000 car (like, say, a 2020 Sport trim) and a $50,000 car in terms of its market position, I imagine we'd agree on that.

I'm not a modder. My Z is my daily driver so it's largely unmolested outside of some small cosmetic changes. I'm trying to figure out how we can believe that $40,000 is a reasonable amount for a young person to spend on a vehicle they intend to dismantle. Maybe we define "young" differently. Or perhaps our parameters for affordability are just vastly different.

It's totally possible that I am a complete outlier, here. Maybe your average Z buyer has a high income and/or low overall cost of living. Maybe they tend to be older. Well, I'm off to get into these reviews! Such a lovely-looking car, isn't it?
I completely get your points.

But the simple fact is, ALL manufacturing at present is costing way more than pre pandemic. I bet your groceries cost more in the US, I bet your houses have gone up, I bet electricity, gas, petrol, have all increased ….I know it most certainly has here.
I said it before, history is littered by wars and pandemics, and what always follows as sure as day is price increases to the point in most cases we hit a bad recession….might I even use the word depression

This is the way of the world at the moment, and it’s not going to get better anytime soon…in fact I’m guessing it will get far worse before it gets better.

As for the modding comment, I make it because younger people are more likely to mod than older people and by younger I mean 18-30. Might not be many 18 year olds who can afford it but plenty mid 20 professionals who could.

Look I don’t know I’m just trying to find reason, I have another theory which a wrote on one of the threads.

But my main point is, day to day living is increasing rapidly and the car manufacturing industry has had to overcome more issues than most industry, so it only follows that their prices wouod also rise substantially.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
But my main point is, day to day living is increasing rapidly and the car manufacturing industry has had to overcome more issues than most industry, so it only follows that their prices wouod also rise substantially.
Right, but my groceries haven't seen a 30% increase in price 😂

To be more precise, what other vehicles are seeing this level of price increase year-over-year? This seems much more like the Z moving intentionally up market rather than simply reacting to the current state of manufacturing cost instability. Like, the Civic just changed generations and the prices have remained pretty stable, you know? This seems much more intentional from Nissan.

Perhaps I am still just being hyper-critical. It'll dull with time, as all things tend to.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Right, but my groceries haven't seen a 30% increase in price 😂

To be more precise, what other vehicles are seeing this level of price increase year-over-year? This seems much more like the Z moving intentionally up market rather than simply reacting to the current state of manufacturing cost instability. Like, the Civic just changed generations and the prices have remained pretty stable, you know? This seems much more intentional from Nissan.

Perhaps I am still just being hyper-critical. It'll dull with time, as all things tend to.
Well in Australia they have…so i you guys haven’t your lucky…some products have gone up by 100% …we have a running commentary at the moment about the price of lettuces because there is an election on

I dont see why they would intentionally set prices to annoy people, I mean they know what people were expecting from forums such as these…they would be losing money by making far less sales

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
I dont see why they would intentionally set prices to annoy people, I mean they know what people were expecting from forums such as these…they would be losing money by making far less sales
I don't think it was done with the intention of annoying anyone, no, no. Nissan isn't *villainous,* just misguided, in this specific case and in my specific opinion. I'm simply trying to find another example of a vehicle increasing its baseline price by this much, recently, and as a result of something beyond the manufacturer's control. Sure, the VR30DDTT is pricier than the VQ it replaces but that doesn't account for it, you know? If it *isn't* an intentional move upmarket, I just cannot see why there's this level of price increase for the point of entry.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
I don't think it was done with the intention of annoying anyone, no, no. Nissan isn't *villainous,* just misguided, in this specific case and in my specific opinion. I'm simply trying to find another example of a vehicle increasing its baseline price by this much, recently, and as a result of something beyond the manufacturer's control. Sure, the VR30DDTT is pricier than the VQ it replaces but that doesn't account for it, you know? If it *isn't* an intentional move upmarket, I just cannot see why there's this level of price increase for the point of entry.
I can’t comment, because I’m not in the US, but I have seen the comments about the C8 price increase on the forum, what is the new Lotus priced at compared to the outgoing?
EDIT, the Elise on entry was 50k US…the Emira to replace the Elise is 78k
indeed the BRZ was 17000 in 2014

Last edited:

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
gonna wait until December 2022 to buy.
Well. The performance is poor value.
The Sport is great value.

I know which way I’ll be going!
We need a new poll on to see what the members want now. I bet most will go w/ Performance though

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
I can’t comment, because I’m not in the US, but I have seen the comments about the C8 price increase on the forum, what is the new Lotus priced at compared to the outgoing?
No, the C8 has remained exceptionally stable in its first few years, and it only increased marginally from the C7:

2019 Corvette Stingray - $56,590
2020 Corvette - $59,995

So, that's what, a 6% increase for moving to an entirely new platform and layout? That was actually extremely impressive.

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
I don't envision many people scoring the 40k USD Sport. Scarcity and ADM will push most MSRP deals down the road. At which point the MSRP will likely have been increased.