Nissan Z35 vs 2015 Mustang

350ZZZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
07 350Z NISMO
What do you guys think of the new Mustang?

The next gen Z will have to contend with it for sure. I hear sales are doing pretty well and as always they pack a lot of muscle into a pretty affordable car.

The GT is 435 hp/400 lb-ft
The 4 cylinder is 310 hp/320 lb-ft

afflicted

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 fr-s
It's not bad, probably the first time I've ever thought I could drive one. The interiors of the past are complete crap and really outdated design. This new one changes all that for the better but I'm just waiting to see what Nissan has planned for the next gen Z.

Ranma

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rusty old Mitsu
Problem is it gained even MORE weight. Why do these cars need to be so huge? If the next Z ends up heavier I will shop for something else......no excuse for it in this day and age IMO

Seong

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 CBR600
Meh still just a Ford. I guess they are trying to change the image but I've never ever considered the Mustang.

sun tzu

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Mustang GT
The mustang managed to modernize with only a small increase in price. The next Z is going to compete with it for sure now it has IRS and they are selling it overseas. It's becoming more than an American muscle car.

I hope Nissan is taking notes of what it is up against.

Cramer

Threads
Reaction score
I don't see the next gen Z competing with the 5.0 Mustang in power. Hopefully it comes close though, around the 400hp mark I would be happy with. Hopefully much lighter than the 3800 pound mustang too. That thing is a cow.

Gunnerman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Maxima, Toyota FJ
The general rule is 1hp per ever 10 pounds of weight loss in the car. That's rough estimate only. So a 400 HP Z car would need to be 350 pounds lighter than the Mustang (around 3450 pounds) to have the same power to weight ratio.

afflicted

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 fr-s
That should be a piece of cake. The current 370Z has a curb weight from 3232 lbs. With those rumors that they are looking to downsize it some more, it would be plenty powerful with a twin turbo v6 with around 400 horses.

MillerP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda 3
Don't be shocked if the Z actually puts on some weight. Stricter safety regulations are no joke, look what it did to the Stang. Add to that Nissan doesn't have a lot of lightweight tech to leverage.

Looking at the GT-R it seems lightweight sports cars are not what Nissan is focused on.

nismoZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
Don't be shocked if the Z actually puts on some weight. Stricter safety regulations are no joke, look what it did to the Stang. Add to that Nissan doesn't have a lot of lightweight tech to leverage.

Looking at the GT-R it seems lightweight sports cars are not what Nissan is focused on.
Just because the GT-R is heavy as hell doesn't mean that the Z will be. Actualy if they make the Z small and light it'll be a perfect opposite bookend to the GT-R. A heavy HP crazy GT-R halo sports car at the top of the range and a small nimble back-to-basics sports car at the intro level of the range.

626m3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E46 M3

Yea maybe if the Z stays the same size and on the same platform. If these elements change and the car also drops its V6 for a 4 cyl then you can bet it should be lighter.

Cramer

Threads
Reaction score
Really wonder which model Mustang the Z35 will compete with -- the ecoboost 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, of V8 GT. No way the Z gets a V8 but would be interesting to see if come in two different models to take on the 4 and 6 cylinder Mustangs.

J_Watts

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Toyota 86
The 4 cyl outperforms the 6 which is naturally aspirated on the Mustang i think? I'd love to see a turbo 6, with 300+ hp and a much lighter chassis than the mustang, it could give the V8 a run for its money.

Adam

Threads
Reaction score
Really wonder which model Mustang the Z35 will compete with -- the ecoboost 4 cylinder, 6 cylinder, of V8 GT. No way the Z gets a V8 but would be interesting to see if come in two different models to take on the 4 and 6 cylinder Mustangs.
More likely it'll compete with the 4 cyl turbo than the V8 I think (6 cyl Mustang is kinda weak and also not very exciting.) unless they really decide to give it a lot of power. But from the rumors it sounds like the car might be getting lighter and maybe less power than 370z?

Gunnerman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Maxima, Toyota FJ
The 4 cylinder mustang is only 310 hp and it's like 3600 pounds. If the 370z can't top that in both categories i will be very very disappointed. Might as well just stick to the 370z then.