Nissan 370Z successor could have multiple engines and named "Z"

nismoZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
“We [will] definitely keep the Z name, but when we did 350 to 370 it was because of the capacity, but who says the next-generation doesn’t have three engines and its not just called Z?”

Just called the "Z"?! Would be kinda weird. It's always had a number attached to it.

FLex

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
VW Golf R
I welcome this! Especially a cheap 4 cyl version. Just use the 1.6L turbo from the Juke NISMO RS. Good for 215 horsepower and 210 lb-ft. That's plenty enough for an entry level model assuming that the car gets smaller and loses weight.

OP
OP

nismoZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
Nissan 370Z successor to be offered with multiple engines

The next-generation Nissan 370Z will likely downsize its V6 engine in response to toughening emission restrictions and customer demands in Europe.

The next-iteration of the iconic Nissan Z sports car is likely to be offered with multiple engine choices as Nissan seeks to sell a model that appeals to both Europe, where V6 engines are basically extinct, and North America, where the 370Z’s popularity is in part due to its larger powerplant.

Speaking exclusively to CarAdvice today at the Nismo Festival in Mount Fuji, Japan, Roel de Vries, Nissan’s corporate vice president and global head of marketing and brand strategy, said there’s opportunity for multiple engines for the next-generation Z.

“Can you sell a V6 [370Z] in Europe? No. Does that mean the next Z will have a V6 [for Europe]? No, of course we are not going to do that.” de Vries told CarAdvice.

“[But] there’s still an audience that wants a six-cylinder engine, so why should we give it up? That’s all part of on going studies.”

The current Nissan 370Z is powered by a 3.7-litre V6, but Nissan will likely offer the next-generation Z with both a four-cylinder turbo and six-cylinder engine. There’s also speculation of a potential base model that may carry a naturally aspirated four-cylinder engine.

This would put the entry-model Z closer to the likes of Toyota 86 and Subaru BRZ in terms of pricing, which would be ideal for Nissan considering the company seems to have put its plans for a new affordable rear-wheel drive sportscar on ice.

But does a lower-capacity Z diminish the model’s image? De Vries says that Nissan doesn’t needs to keep a V6 in the Z to maintain its heritage and performance benchmark.

“I think an engine is never a need or must, because what you need is to deliver on what the car stands for and if the 370Z stands for real performance and real driving I think it doesn’t need a V6 to do that.”

Of course, the question then becomes what Nissan intends to call the 370Z successor. Surely the 370 part would not make much sense if the engine size doesn’t correlate?

“In my opinion the displacement as part of the product name is a bit behind us. [So] Naming might also change, in the past when we all grow up, the bigger the engine the more expensive the car, the faster it would be. Everybody has left that, because it’s not about displacement of the engine, it’s about what the engine could do.”

“We [will] definitely keep the Z name, but when we did 350 to 370 it was because of the capacity, but who says the next-generation doesn’t have three engines and its not just called Z?”

The previous generation Nissan 350Z was manufactured for six years before it was replaced with the 370Z in 2009. With 2015 just around the corner, it marks the sixth year the 370Z has been in production, which is likely to indicate a successor is no more than 24 months away.

Should Nissan offer the next-generation Z car with multiple engines? Would you buy a turbocharged four-cylinder Z and more importantly, does it make sense to pit an entry model Z against the BRZ and 86?

Source: http://www.caradvice.com.au/322337/...ed-with-multiple-engines/#KQWBsHCkAFCy4Rws.99

OP
OP

nismoZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
All the car manufacturers are singing the same tune nowadays, trying to sell the public on four cylinders. I'm not a fan frankly. If the Z35 or whatever it is called does not come with one engine that is a 6 or higher, I will buy something else.

Seong

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 CBR600
All the car manufacturers are singing the same tune nowadays, trying to sell the public on four cylinders. I'm not a fan frankly. If the Z35 or whatever it is called does not come with one engine that is a 6 or higher, I will buy something else.
It really is getting pretty predictable. Turbo 4 cylinder lower end model and a V6 (turbo or NA) for the higher model. Props to any company still stuffing V8's in their top end models, especially the ones who are doing turbo V8's!

BluntForce

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
WRX
Can they really not sella V6 engined Z car in Europe? this is not some crazy gas guzzling 6.2L v8. I know taxes and emissions penalty issues is a concern there but there are plenty of V6's in Europe no?

MRichter

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
bmw 325i
Don't like how it's going multiple engines/models! The Z heritage includes one engine offering for each model.

Seong

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 CBR600
Just saw this news posted all over today. Purists don't like the news but I for one am glad they're going with multiple engines. This way the car can sell better overall and keep getting made. If the 370z had a smaller and cheaper engine and model, guarantee it would be selling better. Prob with one model only is that it's gotta try to be everything to everyone. But, selling an entry level model will let Nissan to build a kick ass high-power (and priced) for those of us who want it.

Ranma

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Rusty old Mitsu

Just called the "Z"?! Would be kinda weird. It's always had a number attached to it.

I Love Pho

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2015 BRZ

Why not? It's simple and has a nice ring to it. Memorable name.

Yolo2014

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mustang
The VQ is long overdue to be replaced by a new V6. It makes less power, gets worse MPG, and is bigger and heavier compared to modern V8 which make more power, are more efficient, and have double the displacement.

Can you tell I hope the next car gets a brand new V6? :D

ToTheMax

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2003 350Z
I welcome this! Especially a cheap 4 cyl version. Just use the 1.6L turbo from the Juke NISMO RS. Good for 215 horsepower and 210 lb-ft. That's plenty enough for an entry level model assuming that the car gets smaller and loses weight.

afflicted

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 fr-s
Makes total sense if they're going to have multiple engines. Then you can't have a ###Z name based on the actual engine size.

And I don't care how many engine choices they have as long as they have a top end V6 version that puts out at least 350hp.

MillerP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda 3
Makes total sense if they're going to have multiple engines. Then you can't have a ###Z name based on the actual engine size.

And I don't care how many engine choices they have as long as they have a top end V6 version that puts out at least 350hp.
x2

A Z car must have a 6 cyl at the very least as an option. Not having a V6 would be like a Camaro or Mustang not having a V8 option.