Nismo Z vs Mustang Dark Horse vs GR Supra

BurninateZ

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'92 MR2 Turbo, '19 508 GT, '23 Supra GT Manual
I expected better results from the Nismo, but at least the chassis looks sorted, and I'm sure would be a heap of fun on the street. It's clearly not going to be competitive on track without a bunch of work, so imo it's a massive fail that it doesn't come with a manual (yet? c'mon nissan).

Honestly surprised that the dark horse wasn't a clear leader given its designed around a 180 treadwear tyre. I guess there is only so much you can do to hide the weight.

94boosted

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Camaro SS 1LE, BMW 340, Ford F150
Was really hoping to see a much better time out of the Nismo. Especially it being an auto vs the other two cars being stick shifts.

if Toyota ever does a GRMN version or even just a simple track package, it’s going to be game over.

jc604

First Name
jc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Performance Z / Civic hatch sport
Cash grabbing nismo :( didnt live up to par on performance

wilorichie

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra and Z
Occupation
GMSV Sales Manager
I own both the Z (not Nismo) and the Supra. And the Supra is nuts compared to the Z. It goes proper ham. The Z kills it as a daily driver though. Way more livable.

As said above though... The auto Nismo vs the manual Supra and Dark Horse... damn... Come on Nissan.

BraveDemon

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Toyota Supra; 19 Audi TT-RS; 15 GLA45 AMG
@wilorichie ah yeah, saw your garage pic. Great rides.

I joined these forums with the intent to get a Z to have alongside my MKV but ended up going with something else for the Supra’s garage mate.

Still hope to have a Z one day… if they ever become reasonably priced.

wilorichie

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra and Z
Occupation
GMSV Sales Manager
@wilorichie ah yeah, saw your garage pic. Great rides.

I joined these forums with the intent to get a Z to have alongside my MKV but ended up going with something else for the Supra’s garage mate.

Still hope to have a Z one day… if they ever become reasonably priced.
Thanks man. My inner JDM fanboi glasses are strong.

Previously, my misses had a TT (not an RS like yours). At the time, she was tossing up between the 370z and the TT (back in 2019). She went with the TT because it was "more pretty".

Now the Z has a new look, she really wanted the new Z, again, just because "wow, it's super pretty". The car will never be driven how it was designed. She buys based off looks haha.

Though, I'm jealous of her Z when I sit in it and feel how comfy it is to drive. My nostalgia, more than anything, got the best of me and my garage.

What did you end up with, over the Z? Looking at your current car/s list, I think we have similar tastes :D

BraveDemon

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
22 Toyota Supra; 19 Audi TT-RS; 15 GLA45 AMG
The TTRS - got that a few months ago. I think around may or june this year, @Jah_Happy got his Z, so I reached out to a few Nissan dealerships. They all wanted minimum $15k ADM.

So one day in June, I was bored and decided to go check out the TTRS at a local dealership. It had a clean one owner car fax and low miles. Test drove it. Brought it home. FWIW, It was cheaper than buying any Z in my area - granted it is older and used.

Related tangent since your wife had the TT: My Wife was surprised and upset for minute when I brought the TTRS home (I told her I was "only going to go look at it"), then she took it for a spin and now, its her preferred weekender.

I still keep tabs on the Z market - think I want to add one more car to the collection. Perhaps the Z. If not, then something mid engine.

wilorichie

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra and Z
Occupation
GMSV Sales Manager
Haha, that's awesome mate. Super jealous about the RS. Very cool.

Sucks you guys have to deal with paying over RRP. Dealerships can't charge more than RRP in Aussie. And we get *way* less cars than you guys. It's nornal for us to wait 12-24 months for the decent cars.

TheGuverment

For profit. Strictly business.
First Name
Strickland
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Subaru WRX hatchback
Here’s my take: it’s all about how you feel when you drive the car. My S Plaid is ridiculously faster than my R35 but the R is much more enjoyable and engaging to drive and so is the Z. Toyota said they talked to legacy Supra owners and they absolutely demanded an in-line 6. Toyota said they didn’t currently produce one so they rebadged a BMW roadster cause it’s much too expensive to make an all-new in-line 6. Yet Mazda just made one. How is that even possible ?

Meanwhile Nissan built a VR38 and a VR30 with their own IP. They didn’t listen to anyone wishing for an in-line six in the case of the R35, they just made an all around much more powerful engine. Toyota could have turned the Camry V6 engine into a twin turbo monster with the right investment and in-house engineering instead of obsessing with the whole inline six angle…

Personally, I would rather have a car actually designed, engineered and manufactured in Japan rather than a rebadged version of anything…the Supra is indeed very fast…because it’s got a B58 BMW engine at its core…Nissan could rebadge an AMG GTR with its M177 V8 engine and it would be really fast too, but it wouldn’t be a Nissan GT-R anymore…it would be GINO (GT-R In Name Only)…
The I6 for Mazda was partially funded by Toyota and is planned to be used in other products, so the investment makes sense. Same with Nissan, the VR30 is used in other Nissan products and (to my knowledge) the VR38 is just an upgraded VR30.

Edited.

Last edited:
OP
OP
rocksandblues

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
The I6 was partially funded by Toyota and is planned to be used in other products, so the investment makes sense. Same with Nissan, the VR30 is used in other Nissan products and (to my knowledge) the VR38 is just an upgraded VR30.
BMW had the b58 already. Toyota made some tweaks. But the deal was an exchange for EV tech

Chokinzoku

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
The I6 was partially funded by Toyota and is planned to be used in other products, so the investment makes sense. Same with Nissan, the VR30 is used in other Nissan products and (to my knowledge) the VR38 is just an upgraded VR30.
Actually, the VR30 engine in the Nissan Z has virtually nothing in common with the VR38 in the Nissan R35 GT-R. The VR38 came out in 2007 and is a closed deck design (used for racing), whereas the VR30 came out in 2015 and is an open deck design. The VR30 uses direct injection whereas the VR38 uses multi-port injection. The VR38 also uses an oversquare design, whereas the VR30 has a bore and stroke of the same exact size. The VR30 also has Honeywell turbos that connect directly to the cylinder heads, whereas the VR38 has two IHI turbos integrated in the exhaust manifold. So the two really have nothing material in common.

TheGuverment

For profit. Strictly business.
First Name
Strickland
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Subaru WRX hatchback
BMW had the b58 already. Toyota made some tweaks. But the deal was an exchange for EV tech
I typed that out several times and when I decided to post it, I fckd it up. I meant Toyota partially funded the I6 for Mazda.

Loco38SUP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra
Occupation
Engineer
Toyota said they didn’t currently produce one so they rebadged a BMW roadster cause it’s much too expensive to make an all-new in-line 6.
Its not a re-badged BMW Roadster. No other car in the BMW lineup feels and handles as spicy as the MKV Supra. I’ve driven the Roadster and it feels like my grandpa's convertible Merc CLK its sluggish and numb.

Toyota could have turned the Camry V6 engine into a twin turbo monster with the right investment and in-house engineering instead of obsessing with the whole inline six angle…
The inline 6 was a must have because its so easy to work on. Most owners with minimal tools can change the turbo and downpipe. Can’t say the same for the Z.

Listen I get it, I was a little let down when I first heard the Toy/ BMW partnership on the MKV. The reality is that its the factory fastest, best selling Supra that Toyota has offered to date.

The car captures the essence of what the Supra name is all about. It has the looks, performance and car culture hype.

BTW- I still want a Z but not for the same reasons I own an MKV Supra.

-RJM