First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra and Z
Occupation
GMSV Sales Manager
Actually, the VR30 engine in the Nissan Z has virtually nothing in common with the VR38 in the Nissan R35 GT-R.
100%. Totally different engines. The main similarity, is the naming convention.

Its not a re-badged BMW Roadster. No other car in the BMW lineup feels and handles as spicy as the MKV Supra.
Also very true. The Z4 feels completely diffetent. I wouldn't want one, even if it was half the price. The Supra craps all over it. They don't feel related what-so-ever.

Everyone wanted the Supra to be an insanely capable car and hold that special flagship aura.

Toyota had two options.

Make a totally new engine and platform and charge way *way* more.

Or use something that ticks all the boxes and give it to their customers for an insanely good price. Look at how epic some people's A90s are now...

Don't get me wrong. I love my Z. I used to love my R34 and R33 too. But the Supra is in another league for it's price. As shown by this video... with it's *much* slower manual too.

MHockey17

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Nissan 370Z NISMO, '01 Mitsu Eclipse GT
As usual SG always makes pretty top notch comparisons/reviews, so kudos for running this matchup so quickly. Although I feel like thereā€™s a other factors to consider vs reading the times at face value.

Most glaring was that the NISMO n DH were run on a cold damp track, while by time of the Supraā€™s lap it was dry n warmer. They do appear to note this difference on their leaderboard, but itā€™s easy to overlook, and I think they even stated had the conditions been better, the DH lap wouldā€™ve been the quickest. Ideally, they wait to run the cars, or postpone till weather is consistent, but I understand thatā€™s not always feasible n they tried their best to make it work.

Regardless though, this is only the first track comparison. Hoping to see the NISMO in LL and other track tests with more consistent conditions and different types of courses.

MHockey17

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Don't get me wrong. I love my Z. I used to love my R34 and R33 too. But the Supra is in another league for it's price. As shown by this video... with it's *much* slower manual too.
Strangely enough, the time SG ran with the MT Supra in this video was over 1sec faster than they previously ran in the auto on same tires, according to their leaderboard.

Chokinzoku

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
100%. Totally different engines. The main similarity, is the naming convention.

Also very true. The Z4 feels completely diffetent. I wouldn't want one, even if it was half the price. The Supra craps all over it. They don't feel related what-so-ever.

Everyone wanted the Supra to be an insanely capable car and hold that special flagship aura.

Toyota had two options.

Make a totally new engine and platform and charge way *way* more.

Or use something that ticks all the boxes and give it to their customers for an insanely good price. Look at how epic some people's A90s are now...

Good points. How do u think a $130K Supra (custom engine and platform like the R35) would have done in the market ? Both sales-wise and from a critical reception standpoint ?
Also, Iā€™m curious to get your thoughts on how your R34 compares to your A90 Supra.

wilorichie

First Name
Richie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra and Z
Occupation
GMSV Sales Manager
MT Supra in this video was over 1sec faster than they previously ran
I'm not sure when they ran the auto but if it was 2021 or earlier, good chance it was on the 2 port (about 50whp less than the current 4 ports).

Good points. How do u think a $130K Supra (custom engine and platform like the R35) would have done in the market ? Both sales-wise and from a critical reception standpoint ?
Also, Iā€™m curious to get your thoughts on how your R34 compares to your A90 Supra.
I don't think a Supra that costs double would do that well, sales wise. It would be as popular as the GTR, which is rare as it is. Toyota would have done a great job with it, as is all their products, but pricing would be stupid. Doubt it would be worth the cool points to them. They are always about the business.

I loved my R34 and I keep telling myself how amazing it was. But when you sit in and drive again... the nostalgia wears off quickly and it's just an old average car...

But then the feelings return of it being amazing, and repeat haha.

OP
OP
rocksandblues

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
I'm not sure when they ran the auto but if it was 2021 or earlier, good chance it was on the 2 port (about 50whp less than the current 4 ports).

I don't think a Supra that costs double would do that well, sales wise. It would be as popular as the GTR, which is rare as it is. Toyota would have done a great job with it, as is all their products, but pricing would be stupid. Doubt it would be worth the cool points to them. They are always about the business.

I loved my R34 and I keep telling myself how amazing it was. But when you sit in and drive again... the nostalgia wears off quickly and it's just an old average car...

But then the feelings return of it being amazing, and repeat haha.

The track was damp for all cars. That is why the Supra was slower than previously tested one.
2 port Supra was 2020, 2021+ they are 6 port- not 4
just fwiw

MHockey17

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
They have it listed as a ā€˜22 on their leaderboard, so same spec as this ā€˜23 I believe