Next Nissan Z Could Be Simply Called "Z"

350ZZZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
07 350Z NISMO
Do you guys think Nissan will just call it the "Z"?

What do you think of such a simple name?

The Next Nissan Z Could Get Multiple Engines And Just Be Called "Z"

Smaller, lighter, more efficient, and more BRZ-like. That's what we've been hearing about the car that will replace the Nissan 370Z for some time. Since it's likely the next Z will follow the trend of downsizing engines, what do you call it? How about just the Nissan Z?1

bhaoxiyxrm9se1u7jhtg.jpg

When was the last time you thought about a Nissan 370Z? Sure, it came out a few years ago, but for…Read more

That's the gist of this interview with Roel de Vries, Nissan's corporate vice president and global head of marketing and brand strategy, in Australia's Car Advice. The Aussie car pubs can be a bit... dodgy, to say the least, but this one seems pretty solid and it's from a Nissan exec himself.

First, there's the question of engines. The current Z has a 3.7-liter V6 with 330 horsepower and 270 pound-feet of torque. It's a solid motor, but a lot more power can be squeezed out of smaller, turbocharged engines these days, and the thirsty V6 is a tough sell in Europe.

So de Vries says we may see several engine options in the next car, not unlike the 2015 Ford Mustang:

"Can you sell a V6 [370Z] in Europe? No. Does that mean the next Z will have a V6 [for Europe]? No, of course we are not going to do that." de Vries told CarAdvice. "[But] there's still an audience that wants a six-cylinder engine, so why should we give it up? That's all part of on going studies."

[...] "I think an engine is never a need or must, because what you need is to deliver on what the car stands for and if the 370Z stands for real performance and real driving I think it doesn't need a V6 to do that."

That's not surprising. We've been hearing that the next Z will go smaller or even turbocharged for some time.

(Here's a suggestion from ol' PG, Nissan: You guys and Mercedes are best pals these days, right? I'd love to see that crazy 355 horsepower turbo 2.0-liter four from the Mercedes CLA45 AMG in a proper rear-wheel drive sports car. I want that! You want it too! You know you do!)

So if we get a smaller engine, where does that leave the Z's naming scheme, which in non-Japanese markets has always included the engine displacement? 200Z doesn't have the same ring to it that 370Z does. Ask BMW and Benz about that.

De Vries tosses out an interesting suggestion:

"In my opinion the displacement as part of the product name is a bit behind us. [So] Naming might also change, in the past when we all grow up, the bigger the engine the more expensive the car, the faster it would be. Everybody has left that, because it's not about displacement of the engine, it's about what the engine could do."

"We [will] definitely keep the Z name, but when we did 350 to 370 it was because of the capacity, but who says the next-generation doesn't have three engines and its not just called Z?"

Yeah, why not indeed? He tosses this out almost casually, but if I were a betting man, I'd put money on this happening. Just call it the Nissan Z. It's sexy, simple, and in line with their heritage. Numbers are overrated anyway.

Adam

Threads
Reaction score
What's interesting is that he's talking about the Z right now. Usually company reps or execs start opening up and giving up details around the time when something's about to happen. Could we possibly see a concept drop at Detroit or NY??!!

afflicted

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 fr-s
Makes total sense if they're going to have multiple engines. Then you can't have a ###Z name based on the actual engine size.

626m3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E46 M3
Makes total sense if they're going to have multiple engines. Then you can't have a ###Z name based on the actual engine size.
Why not? You can have a 200Z and 300Z at the same time for example. 200Z for a 4 cyl, 300Z for a 6 cyl. It's like the BMW 3 series which are just called 328i or 335i even though they're the same car except for the engine.

MillerP

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Mazda 3
TBH i'm tired of all these complicated model names. The "Nissan Z" is perfect. Everyone knows it as the Z no matter what kind of engine is in there. If there is a 4 cylinder or turbo 6 they can name it accordingly... I.e. Nissan Z Turbo

Cramer

Threads
Reaction score
Cool name in JDM, but I don't think most NA guys would like having "lady" in the car name. I know I wouldn't.
Ha maybe yea with kids these days. If you know the history it is a cool nod to the past but I can see that being lost on this generation.

Seong

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 CBR600
TBH i'm tired of all these complicated model names. The "Nissan Z" is perfect. Everyone knows it as the Z no matter what kind of engine is in there. If there is a 4 cylinder or turbo 6 they can name it accordingly... I.e. Nissan Z Turbo
If there's one single engine available, I'm cool with it just being called the "Z" but if there's more than one engine option, they should have multiple names for the different models, with a number designating the engine.

626m3

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
E46 M3
If there's one single engine available, I'm cool with it just being called the "Z" but if there's more than one engine option, they should have multiple names for the different models, with a number designating the engine.
Agreed. Plus all the modern Z cars have had number designations.

ToTheMax

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2003 350Z
Call is X, Y or Z I don't care as long as it's a damn good car and a good value I'd consider it.

Gunnerman

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Maxima, Toyota FJ
Call is X, Y or Z I don't care as long as it's a damn good car and a good value I'd consider it.
Nameplate heritage matters believe it or not. It's harder to sell a totally brand new car without an established name. Of course that can both help and hurt you, depending if the model's history is good or bad :D

NSFW!

Threads
Reaction score
Nameplate heritage matters believe it or not. It's harder to sell a totally brand new car without an established name. Of course that can both help and hurt you, depending if the model's history is good or bad :D
Totally agree. Look at the GT-R name. That's instant credibility right there. Imagine they brought out the next GT-R as some other name. It wouldn't have nearly as much cache and buzz around it.