New Z Model Name | What Should It Be Called?

AlanZ

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Performance 6MT Black Diamond/Graphite
Occupation
Civil Servant
Inevitably someone will ask you "is that a 350z/370z?" Then what would be your answer?
I think I would just say “nah, it’s the new Z, Nissan got rid of the numbers in front of it .”

Maybe it’s just me but usually when people complimented my Z32 or Z33, they usually just said “nice Z!”

MattJ2020

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Z
Occupation
Photographer
Apologies... I didn't know that much history on the Z... including the Datsun's... engine placement gave the models their names! So a 400Z doesn't make sense.

StrikeS30

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
78 280Z, 76 280Z, 88 300zx
Apologies... I didn't know that much history on the Z... including the Datsun's... engine placement gave the models their names! So a 400Z doesn't make sense.
Hey no worries! 300Z would have made most sense in the displacement term. But, that's already kind of reserved from the 300ZX.

I think the initial reason the "400" got thrown around is at the beginning and around the time of the announcements. Once everyone found out it was the VR30DDTT that was shared from the Q60 Red Sport, they instantly assumed it would be called a 400, or Z400 or 400Z because the Q60 came in Pure, Lux, Sport, and Red Sport 400 trims. Sport and Red Sport 400 had the VR30DDTT. Sport was rated at 300HP, and 400HP for the 400.

So basically once a few guys started saying it was a 400 Z taken off the Q60 RS, it just kind of stuck, and spread like wild fire. And that was all done and kind of "stuck" before we even knew the what the car was to be named. All we knew at the time is a new Z of some sorts was coming based off the shadowed teasers. And even officially Nissan only ever referred to it as "Z" from then on. After waiting it seems years, the car was officially announced, full display, and it was just Z. So, people never really got the idea that the car was ever named. Until later it was clarified that, no no, it's just Z... Kind of a last of it's run. And, I believe that's why even for some random dealers, and websites and such, it still sticks to this day.

The only thing that does get a little confusing is certain parts are labeled as 400Z, it's confused even official Nissan channels somewhere along the line too!

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
Inevitably someone will ask you "is that a 350z/370z?" Then what would be your answer?
I would just say no lol. Everyone Ive talked to about mine either has no idea what it is or doesn't question it.

MHockey17

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 Nissan 370Z NISMO, '01 Mitsu Eclipse GT
Personally I never really got the confusion with Nissan dropping the number designation, since most automanufacturers don’t update model names with every new generation anyway, including the Z in Japan (i.e. it’s always been “Fairlady Z”).

Every car community has a nomenclature to refer to specific years. For example, the Eclipse community typically uses the generation number, 1G/2G/3G/4G. The Z community has always just used the chassis code, which is bit tricky this gen since it’s largely still a Z34, but technically designated “RZ34” so it’s different enough lol

MindScape

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z Performance (Black)
Occupation
Market Research
I think I would just say “nah, it’s the new Z, Nissan got rid of the numbers in front of it .”

Maybe it’s just me but usually when people complimented my Z32 or Z33, they usually just said “nice Z!”
I gotta say it does get tiring making that correction though, unfortunately. I've had more than my fair share of people saying "Oh is that the new 350z/370z?" The funniest is the 350z people though, like they behind 2 generations now.

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
Seems like it's okay to call it the "new/next 370Z" since it's the transition from "Z34" to "RZ34", or the "New Z" or just the "Z". Everyone who's asked me seems to care enough to understand and listen, not that it's been that many.

jc604

First Name
jc
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2024 Performance Z / Civic hatch sport
I dont mind 400z a ton of ppl keep calling it that anyways i dont understand the hate over a nickname. I personally dont call it that myself but funny thing is my dealer that sold me the car on the contract labelled the car “400z”

OP
OP
qellman32

qellman32

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023-24 Nissan Z Performance (Black/Black)
Occupation
DoorDash Dasher
I guess I get asked "350Z/370Z" a lot because I live in the Motor City Metro Detroit area. People seem to know specific car names. But not know the confusing nomenclature lol.

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
I used to call it 400Z so I could find parts easier.
Now I call it 400Z because of how many people get triggered by it. 👍

I can't wait to find a wrecked one and drop a 4.0l V8 in it.
"Is that the New Z?"
"yeah, 400Z, yep."
"Actually. Nissan never called it a 400Z. Nissan always named their Z cars based on engine capacity, but they didn't want the confusion of calling a second car a 300Z, so..."
"That's what I said... it's a 400Z."

OP
OP
qellman32

qellman32

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023-24 Nissan Z Performance (Black/Black)
Occupation
DoorDash Dasher
I think I might go with Nissan Z-400 or Z 400 HP. If I were to put a badge on the car, it would probably say Z with a small 400 next to it.

Thoughts? 🤔

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security