My patience just ran out.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
When I was younger, it wasn't uncommon for people to buy base model and economy cars. Then something happened, and I feel like big spending on higher trims/models and loaded vehicles became more of a cultural "thing".

It's no exaggeration to say, I probably have the lowest cost new vehicle in my entire middle class neighborhood. My neighbors are driving around in vehicles that cost at least three times as much. And not because they are rolling in cash, but because it's like an expected norm to spend bigger these days on vehicles.

For that reason, even if we see constraints lessen and production increase, this big spending habit I think is going to still drive higher prices to some extent. Some of these people could be living on peanut butter sandwiches, and they'd still be blowing 50k on a new car!
I'm really beginning to warm up to the Z Sport. Over $12k cheaper and has the same 400hp?

I think I can live with the lower trim Z no prob

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
I'm really beginning to warm up to the Z Sport. Over $12k cheaper and has the same 400hp?

With what Ive been offered for my STI (super low miles), I think I'm right there with you. I'd add some goodies I really want, and save money on the mods I dont really need. I'm also convinced the performance models will all be sucked up for crazy prices so maybe we'll get lucky and some sport's will be lying around lol. May be my only chance to see a Z before 2025.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
With what Ive been offered for my STI (super low miles), I think I'm right there with you. I'd add some goodies I really want, and save money on the mods I dont really need. I'm also convinced the performance models will all be sucked up for crazy prices so maybe we'll get lucky and some sport's will be lying around lol. May be my only chance to see a Z before 2025.
Good move, customize it later as needed, definitely way better aftermarket out there, we're seeing them already. Just a couple nice things you won't get are auto rev-match and the larger Nav screen, might not be that important to you anyway.

For me, I'd rather have a Z that's built to my needs anyway, customized with cool parts, more unique instead of pre-pkgd with stuff I don't need nor up to performance. I will try to get to SEMA since local enough. Want to see Dustin's build there.

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
Good move, customize it later as needed, definitely way better aftermarket out there, we're seeing them already. Just a couple nice things you won't get are auto rev-match and the larger Nav screen, might not be that important to you anyway.

For me, I'd rather have a Z that's built to my needs anyway, customized with cool parts, more unique instead of pre-pkgd with stuff I don't need nor up to performance. I will try to get to SEMA since local enough. Want to see Dustin's build there.
Absolutely! I just want to see any Z in person, I still havent seen one up close! Driving me nuts lol. I missed all the big shows the last few years so I missed out. Now im stuck waiting.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management

I was actually thinking the *exact* same over the weekend 😂

Seems dangerous without the LSD, however.

StrikeS30

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
78 280Z, 76 280Z, 88 300zx

I've been pondering the same myself actually. I still have my order in for the Performance. But, still weighing the cost vs additions in my head. Just not sure myself up here in the Canada land can get an LSD/Larger brakes, different wheels and tires(although the Sport wheels are kinda neat) and the added creature comforts like the leather seats up here without paying an arm and a leg.

I really dig the factory spoiler and front lip, I think those are totally necessary for the styling for me personally.

I just honestly don't think I can make a Sport on the same level as a Performance as far as styling, interior, LSD, and brake upgrades to ship up north less than the same money from factory.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
I really dig the factory spoiler and front lip, I think those are totally necessary for the styling for me personally.

I just honestly don't think I can make a Sport on the same level as a Performance as far as styling, interior, LSD, and brake upgrades to ship up north less than the same money from factory.
You know, it's interesting that you mention the aero bits from the Performance trim because, as I was doing a hypothetical Z Sport build online, I noticed that you can option the front and rear pieces independently on that trim, so you don't need to step up to the Performance for that aesthtic. Thought it was a good move by Nissan, actually.

The bigger issue, as you correctly pointed out, would be the mechanical aspects of the Performance that are just plain mandatory for most people. Brakes and rear differential, for certain (I, too, like the design of the Sport alloys), would need upgrading. I'm wondering if Nissan will just do away with the open differential entirely in future model years. Seems unsafe for a car this powerful that already has well-known traction issues.

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
I was actually thinking the *exact* same over the weekend 😂

Seems dangerous without the LSD, however.

I am going to wait and see what shows up in the ditches and then scan copart in a year or so. I would gut and cage one anyway and see how cheaply i could make a 400hp track toy. LSD, brakes, and try and lose a whole lot of weight.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
Please explain to me how one wheel peel is more dangerous than 2 wheel peel.
I'm ready to be enlightened by your expert take on the matter....
The biggest difference in everyday driving would be operating in non-dry conditions. Living in SWFL, a 400HP vehicle with an open diff could be insanely dangerous during wet season (6 months of the year, basically).

I don't have a death wish 😂

rocksandblues

First Name
bob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GL450, m3, e90, GLC300, Zupra, C280
Occupation
taco bell
basically, you are losing 25% of your traction. Peeling out isn't so much of an issue (just weak sauce) but going through corners fast and trying to get on gas too soon (high hp + low skill) will be the issue.

Leo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Open diff = Easier to lose traction than with an LSD, inconsistent and unpredictable breakaway behaviour.

LSD = More traction than open diff, and even when you lose traction it tends to happen in a much more predictable and controllable way compared to an open diff.

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
This video compares an open vs LSD diff. Notice with the LSD, the application of throttle causes the tail to slide out more, with greater likelihood of swapping ends. Where as with the open diff, the driver was having trouble getting the tail to break loose. Something to consider in terms of normal road driving, slick surfaces and maintaining control.