NissanZClub Markup Thread

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Yup, dealership too.

I was recently quoted $12,000 to replace the exhaust manifolds on my Nissan Titan (the parts were at 300% markup and they said they'd need to have a local welder do some of the work. I call BS) at the same dealership I'd attempt to buy a new Z from.

The Tesla sales model is looking really good these days. Too bad I don't need or want a Tesla.

I've been trying to buy a new truck for 9 months and it's been a totally fooked experience, I have absolutely no misconceptions that anyone's getting a Z at MSRP....
Thatā€™s BS, when we owned the lotus it needed a whole new fuel tank fabricated because they didnā€™t make it anymore ( old Esprit) it still only cost a couple of thousand

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Rodland.

Swickard sucks too.

We bought my wife's car right before COVID and when it was Magic Toyota, was $5k less than Rodland.

However, getting her car serviced at Swickard was bizarre, they have very bad service department management.

I will say, when Rodland was asking $5495 ADM on the new Tundra, Swickard only wanted $995 ADM for basically the same Tundra.

Edit: they have two 6MT 86's here with no pricing....
IMG_20220810_170748944_HDR.jpg

Another edit: those GRs are "used" and going for $40k. This dealership has lots of "used" new cars
Can you not go elsewhere for the servicing?
Donā€™t know how it works in the USā€¦in Aus not only do you not have to take it to the dealer you bought from, you donā€™t have to take it to Nissan full stop.
You do have to make sure that whoever you take it to uses genuine parts, and is fully trained but there are a whole heap of places that do that nowā€¦and usually undercut the dealer, apparently against our competition law to forbid people from using other contractors ā€¦and yes the warranty still stands.

This is why our dealers have started to sell, set price servicing when you purchase the carā€¦because then you have already paid for some of the services and if you pull out itā€™s your loss

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
Donā€™t know how it works in the USā€¦in Aus not only do you not have to take it to the dealer you bought from, you donā€™t have to take it to Nissan full stop.
You do have to make sure that whoever you take it to uses genuine parts, and is fully trained but there are a whole heap of places that do that nowā€¦and usually undercut the dealer, apparently against our competition law to forbid people from using other contractors ā€¦and yes the warranty still stands.

This is why our dealers have started to sell, set price servicing when you purchase the carā€¦because then you have already paid for some of the services and if you pull out itā€™s your loss
Should be able to go anywhere for service. I bought my first brand new car 2 years ago, and the dealer offered several free oil changes after purchase. But on the first oil change, the dealer overfilled the oil, by a lot. (How does a dealer get that wrong?) So since then, I've changed my own oil using full synthetic, gotten cheap whenever on sale.

Mechanics are more skilled than me, but they are under a time crunch. I can take a lot more time and care doing service on my own vehicles.

Edit: What Donalex said, for warranty service, the dealership is going to work on it. Although it can be a different dealership than where you bought it. I bought my car at a further away Kia dealership, but already took it to a different more local Kia dealership for a warranty item.

Last edited:

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
Any issue which is covered by the warranty, is dealer-based only in the US.

Normal service such as oil/filter and consumables such as tires/brake pads is not. You can have them done anywhere.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60

The problem is, both Toyota dealerships in my area are a-holes. Actually, all dealerships in my area are AIDS. When I bought my Q60 I had to drive 50 miles through miserable traffic just to get one at a fair price, $5k lower than the 2 local dealers.
I think the dealers in my area collude.
In USA, it's common for many different dealerships to be part of a corporate group. Meaning, they share the customer database and sales tactics. If negotiations failed at one dealership and you go to a different dealership, chances are they belong to the same group and they already have notes on you. They're not going to treat you any differently.

My wife and I decided that our next home will have a garage that I can have a lift installed. I used to be an ASE tech, I can fix my own vehicles if I have a decent garage. And now that I am having issues with dealership service, I'm resolved to go back to working on my own vehicles.

Andaesthetics

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2014 Nissan 370Z Sport Touring
This shit is hilarious. Hilariously pathetic mostly, but some what comical. Twenty fucking thousand over MSRP because it's a "special edition". Literally paying $20k solely for yellow calipers, bronze wheels and some interior yellow stitching. You can spend $2k aftermarket to get the same results and I won't be surprised when we see others doing that. What a fucking joke. If people are paying that and expecting the Proto trim cars to appreciate because they're "limited special edition", good fucking luck. But hey if you have the means to pay $20k over MSRP, kudos to you.

NecioVato

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370z Nismo 6MT
Occupation
web developer
Like others have already said - the best thing to do is be patient and wait out the stupidity. The only ones I see paying huge markups are YouTubers who need to have content or people with more money than sense. I know I'll be waiting for a slightly used one or wait for the market to cool down and hopefully buy one new at or below MSRP. The car bubble is already starting to crack and the longer we wait - the more car prices will be coming down thus creating more competition for newer cars. I know its not the same but....pay $50k MSRP along with some stupid ADM for a car that will not hold its value vs looking at both new and used for $50-70k - there are A LOT of options to pick from.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
People thought I was crazy saying you're paying $60k+ for a Z...

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
looks like a 6 yr old hand wrote that...

what stealerships is selling it?

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
This shit is hilarious. Hilariously pathetic mostly, but some what comical. Twenty fucking thousand over MSRP because it's a "special edition". Literally paying $20k solely for yellow calipers, bronze wheels and some interior yellow stitching. You can spend $2k aftermarket to get the same results and I won't be surprised when we see others doing that. What a fucking joke. If people are paying that and expecting the Proto trim cars to appreciate because they're "limited special edition", good fucking luck. But hey if you have the means to pay $20k over MSRP, kudos to you.
If it ends up anything like Ford Bronco, there are people who will pay those higher ADMs. So get ready for an upcoming kick in the teeth.

Like when I couldn't get a Bronco for trail running, and my son came home and told me his rich friend's dad already had not one, but two Broncos! And the guy doesn't even off-road. Him and his wife drive them to the grocery store or whatever, lol.

You will see those type of guys putzing around in new Zs, long before many of you will get one, unfortunately.