I wonder if it will be cheaper than the auto

Eric48

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'19 Civic Type-R
Historically, MT has been consistently $1-2K cheaper than AT. What are you thinking that would change?
There's a chance it might change these days. Marketing has changed, and they pulled the ol reverse card. The higher price of an A/T is built into the standard pricing. M/T's are now only typically offered on sport or performance models, these are considered to be upper tier trims. It might still be more cost effective to produce the manual versions, but they've got people thinking this is a desired, premium option. Look at the new Integra: You can only get the M/T if you opt for the A Spec Technology package, where it's offered as a "no cost upgrade"

RicerX

First Name
Z
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Titan Pro4X
The pricing for a manual transmission has become a premium surcharge. They are no longer cheaper to produce than automatic transmissions due to take rates and low volume production and they've become rare enough that enthusiasts will pay a premium for them. I do not expect the manual transmission trim of the Supra to be any less expensive than its automatic counterpart.

If Toyota made some wicked dual clutch transmission with teleportation technology, the manual would be cheaper. But they're not.

If Nissan hadn't brought the Z with a manual and garnered significantly positive response to the move, the Supra would be a two pedal car until its sunset. Guarantee this is a response to that move.

AlphalphaMale

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 MX-5 soft top
Occupation
Retired
https://www.thedrive.com/news/43855...64401&utm_medium=social&utm_source=linkin.bio

Interesting find from IG. How (if at all) does it change your opinion on the Supra? How will this affect Z’s roll out?
Whoa that thing looks to be a beast!

"We can probably expect the manual to debut as an option on the 2023 model, which may also bring forth a higher-performing GRMN trim with the 3.0-liter S58 inline-six from the BMW M3. Assuming it matches the M3's power output, that'd give it 503 horsepower and 479 pound-feet of torque; almost a third more than the upgraded 2021-onward model makes. Officially, anyway, as dyno tests suggest Toyota (slash BMW) slightly underrates its factory power output."

Eric48

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'19 Civic Type-R
If they bring over the S58 it might be the game changer that takes the Zupra out of the A80's shadow. Doubt they'll be able to mate it to a 6 spd m/t though. Also doubt BMW will give Toyota that much sauce.

Vilithrax

First Name
Mason
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
C8
If they bring over the S58 it might be the game changer that takes the Zupra out of the A80's shadow. Doubt they'll be able to mate it to a 6 spd m/t though. Also doubt BMW will give Toyota that much sauce.
Im not seeing the point.. How will that makes much of a difference if it has a slightly better engine? Either way it’s a bmw engine.

Personally I’m more disappointed they didn’t go dct than I am 6 speed. Faster = better imo

Eric48

Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'19 Civic Type-R
Im not seeing the point.. How will that makes much of a difference if it has a slightly better engine? Either way it’s a bmw engine.

Personally I’m more disappointed they didn’t go dct than I am 6 speed. Faster = better imo
120+ more HP factory in the same chassis isn't that much of a difference? The tuning potential of the S58 is also more reminiscent of the 2JZGTE. This is where the real dyno queens will be made.

I agree with you on the DCT. I love the engagement of rowing my own gears but I'm not married to it at the cost of performance.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
Absolutely the Z created a stick option for the Supra, quite frankly Mk. V folks owe us thanks.

I love stick, I can do DCT, I can't do a traditional auto except for that damned ZF8.

I hope that GRMN comes soon rather than later, it'll light a fire under Nissan's ass for the Nismo.

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
Still not confirmed which engine gets the manual?

And still not made by Toyota?
Not officially confirmed but based on the Japanese leak it's only the RZ trim, so 3.0 Premium for us that gets the manual for now.