Manual Supra Confirmed for 23?

White_turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
I think a lot of the comments in this particular thread are pretty fair. I think most can appreciate the differences between the Supra and the Z and would be indifferent between the two if there is a manual Supra (myself included). If the manual does come out on the Supra, I personally feel it does give it a slight edge over the Z from the size/weight perspective though.

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
Let me chime in as a real Supra owner and not some opinionated forum memebers who have never driven a Supra or let alone seen one in real life.

I’m 37. I’ve been driving since 16. My very first car was a 1989 Honda Accord 5spd. Believe it or not, my father taught me to drive in a manual. We never had automatics in our family. So imagine a young 15 year old boy going for his first test drive in an auto. I told the instructor I don’t know how to shift or start the car.

that’s a little background to get to my point. Fast forward 19 years later, the Supra comes out. It’s an Auto only, ZF8 speed. I was heart broken, never owned an auto my whole life. 2 years later, I decided to bite the bullet and buy the Supra. It was a great performance vehicle. I was kinda sad it wasn’t a manual. But over time I accepted it, the ZF was quick and smooth. Then I took it to the Blue Ridge Mountains in NC. That ZF8 speed opened up my eyes on how well it performed. I was so happy I had an auto. I never looked back or wished for a manual. If the Supra comes out with a manual, I wouldn’t trade my in for one.

In today’s world, the advance auto will gap any manual. There is no way you are shifting faster than an auto.

Autos hold torque so much better than manuls. The 9 speed auto is going to be quick in the Z. It’s going to be a power house compared to the 6 spd manaul. The problem with the manual is the upgraded clutch to hold the torque of a modded car. My left leg is going to get tired after awhile. I drove a stage 2 twin clutch EVO IX in Norfolk traffic once, I needed a wheelchair after that.

btw, don’t look down on a car you have never driven before. I see a lot of people not liking the Supra because it’s a BMW parts bin car. Don’t form an opinion on it until you drive it. It’s a great car. I’m happy with the B58 and it’s power potential. It has a bespoke chassis. Supras are very reliable. And like all things negative on the internet are blown out of proportions.

I can’t wait for the Z to come out. i will definitely take it for a test drive before I form my opinion. I’m glad the Z is around or else we have a Subaru problem. without the Supra, the Z probably won’t exist anymore or receive it’s engine of 400hp.

subaru became crap after the EVO died. Subaru said fuck innovation and styling, look at the wrx/sti platform after the evo died. Zero power bump, awful styling, and old innovations.
Let's not assume that anyone hasn't driven, seen in person, or might not be well educated about any car just because they are the member of an online community where you don't share the same opinion or experience.

You and I are the same age and my dad taught me to drive manual on an Isuzu P'up around the age of 14. I bought my first car, a '90 240SX 5MT, at age 15 shortly before getting my license and have only owned manuals for myself since. I've owned a lot of cars from various manufacturers and have lost track of how many cars that I never owned (with manual, auto, DSG, DCT, etc.) but have had the luxury of driving over the past 2+ decades. I do however always come to the same conclusion, no matter the car, amount of seat time, if it's faster or slower, I still prefer a manual transmission all day, every day.

While you are over the manual trans, I still can't get enough of it and don't know that I ever will. Sometimes I want to laugh at many of the gripes that I hear or read about driving a manual and don't personally find those things to be true since I've been doing it practically every day for over 20 years, but I understand that it's not for everyone no matter how limited or lengthy their time behind the wheel of one is.

The best part about any of this is that people can share similar experiences and form a variety of opinions on them. I have mine, you have yours and neither of us have to be right or wrong. Let's all try to be respectful of what we're sharing here and just be glad that we still have a say in what we get to drive.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
Let me chime in as a real Supra owner and not some opinionated forum memebers who have never driven a Supra or let alone seen one in real life.

I’m 37. I’ve been driving since 16. My very first car was a 1989 Honda Accord 5spd. Believe it or not, my father taught me to drive in a manual. We never had automatics in our family. So imagine a young 15 year old boy going for his first test drive in an auto. I told the instructor I don’t know how to shift or start the car.

that’s a little background to get to my point. Fast forward 19 years later, the Supra comes out. It’s an Auto only, ZF8 speed. I was heart broken, never owned an auto my whole life. 2 years later, I decided to bite the bullet and buy the Supra. It was a great performance vehicle. I was kinda sad it wasn’t a manual. But over time I accepted it, the ZF was quick and smooth. Then I took it to the Blue Ridge Mountains in NC. That ZF8 speed opened up my eyes on how well it performed. I was so happy I had an auto. I never looked back or wished for a manual. If the Supra comes out with a manual, I wouldn’t trade my in for one.

In today’s world, the advance auto will gap any manual. There is no way you are shifting faster than an auto.

Autos hold torque so much better than manuls. The 9 speed auto is going to be quick in the Z. It’s going to be a power house compared to the 6 spd manaul. The problem with the manual is the upgraded clutch to hold the torque of a modded car. My left leg is going to get tired after awhile. I drove a stage 2 twin clutch EVO IX in Norfolk traffic once, I needed a wheelchair after that.

btw, don’t look down on a car you have never driven before. I see a lot of people not liking the Supra because it’s a BMW parts bin car. Don’t form an opinion on it until you drive it. It’s a great car. I’m happy with the B58 and it’s power potential. It has a bespoke chassis. Supras are very reliable. And like all things negative on the internet are blown out of proportions.

I can’t wait for the Z to come out. i will definitely take it for a test drive before I form my opinion. I’m glad the Z is around or else we have a Subaru problem. without the Supra, the Z probably won’t exist anymore or receive it’s engine of 400hp.

subaru became crap after the EVO died. Subaru said fuck innovation and styling, look at the wrx/sti platform after the evo died. Zero power bump, awful styling, and old innovations.
After owning my Evo for just about 16 years and running four different clutch setups I can attest that you have noodle legs if you needed a wheelchair after driving one with a "stage 2" (whatever the fuck that means) clutch. The only one that felt any "heavier" than stock was the ACT HDSS (and it was still light). My Exedy twin felt pretty much like stock and the triple feels slightly lighter than the stocker (definitely more grabby though).

I'll look down on any performance street car that doesn't offer a manual, Supra included (even though I actually like it and the fact it's getting a manual makes my next car choice MUCH harder). No auto can replicate the feel of being in total control of your car. We all know autos and dual clutch trans are faster and frankly we don't give a shit. It's about more than that.

1000% agree about the WRX and STI going to shit after Mitsubishi turned their backs on the performance community. Also agree about the Supra's role in the new Z. Without it, we'd either actually have a 400Z or a 2023 370Z (or nothing at all).

memelord

First Name
Toua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Occupation
Military
After owning my Evo for just about 16 years and running four different clutch setups I can attest that you have noodle legs if you needed a wheelchair after driving one with a "stage 2" (whatever the fuck that means) clutch. The only one that felt any "heavier" than stock was the ACT HDSS (and it was still light). My Exedy twin felt pretty much like stock and the triple feels slightly lighter than the stocker (definitely more grabby though).

I'll look down on any performance street car that doesn't offer a manual, Supra included (even though I actually like it and the fact it's getting a manual makes my next car choice MUCH harder). No auto can replicate the feel of being in total control of your car. We all know autos and dual clutch trans are faster and frankly we don't give a shit. It's about more than that.

1000% agree about the WRX and STI going to shit after Mitsubishi turned their backs on the performance community. Also agree about the Supra's role in the new Z. Without it, we'd either actually have a 400Z or a 2023 370Z (or nothing at all).
Well I guess the LFA is trash then according to you and all lambos/Ferrari/bugatti/mclaren

edit: if you think you can’t be in control with an auto, you’re mistaken. There is manual mode in auto. If you think having a third pedal makes it more engaging, then you’re just an elitist.

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Well I guess the LFA is trash then according to you and all lambos/Ferrari/bugatti/mclaren

edit: if you think you can’t be in control with an auto, you’re mistaken. There is manual mode in auto. If you think having a third pedal makes it more engaging, then you’re just an elitist.
I’m a lady…so I won’t say what I really would like too

All I’ll say is, your new to the forum, so I’ll tell you how it has been working up until this point.
People have discussions, they put their view points forward, they listen to others…there is no need to resort to insults.
Last few days there have been a few posts that are out of line.

Everyone has a right to disagree, but no one should be insulting people for their different opinions
this was a happy place filled with excitement…try to get onboard

GOTTHEFUZZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2021 Kia K5, 2021Kia forte GT, 2012 Mustang 5.0
Occupation
CNC machinist in the military Aerospace industry

I'm going to be honest with you, that sounds like a tall glass of copium, even by the technical definition the third pedal is more engaging, never will you find any sort of publication or media say that having a third pedal is NOT more engaging than paddle shifters.

I've driven the new Supra and it's exactly what you expect from an automatic sports car, it's a fast but eventually boring sports car after a year of driving.

The new Supra is pretty to look at, pretty to ride in, pretty to take pictures of and brag that you have a Supra, but after you own it for a year or two that automatic is gonna get boring, shits just inevitable.

And of course you compare it to super exotics that have insane dual clutch systems as if they're the same because you can both put them in D and drive with no engagement.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Mail Carrier

Talk about elitist... ANYWAYS, I said performance street car, not super/hyper car. I also never said they're trash. There's very specific reasons they come with DCTs - like being directly derived from racing efforts (you know, to be the fastest with minimal effort) and because the majority of people that buy these cars for the street have zero interest in driver engagement and only care about having a status symbol.

There is zero argument. Having a true manual is entirely more engaging. You're literally using an entire extra limb to drive.

memelord

First Name
Toua
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Supra
Occupation
Military
If using a left foot is engaging while driving, i can only imagine using my left had for something else. ?

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Occupation
Mail Carrier
If using a left foot is engaging while driving, i can only imagine using my left had for something else. ?
What, you've never heard of The Stranger?

Tdog87

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
M140i
I have to agree with others about auto with paddles shifts being less engaging than a true manual.

I have driven some fairly decent auto's in my time and most recently last year going along for test drives with a few different mate's I drove a C63S, E63S, AMG GT, RS5, M5 Comp, M8 Comp and X6M Comp. I missed out on the M4 Comp test drive, but either way all of them weren't that engaging to drive and unlike a real manual you have to be pushing hard in the auto in manual mode to get any enjoyment.

Lets face it the majority of people buying these auto's will rarely take them out of auto mode if ever.

My mates last year ended up with an RS4 and X6M Comp and the RS4 mate has so far never driven it in manual mode and my other mate that got the X6M Comp has probably driven in manual mode maybe 5% of the time at most. I had a mate that had a F80 M3 Comp a few years ago and in the year he owned it not once did he drive it in manual mode.

Lin626

First Name
Linda
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
MB
Can any here read Chinese?

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
Wheels look like Supra 2.0L. If so, then $38K* Nissan Z 400hp/350lb-ft vs $43K Supra 2.0L 250hp/300lb-ft
gr-supra-2.0-2021-01-angle--black--exterior--front.jpg

*speculation

White_turbo

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
None
I have had my DCT for over 10 years now. It is boring on the streets but tons of fun on track. And true, I leave it in auto on the streets most of the time.