Manual Supra Confirmed for 23?

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Not gonna lie, my eyes got big when I saw the new Deep Blue Supra......then I remembered that I like to drive with the windows down and I hate BMW sticks.
Does that wind buffeting happen no matter how the windows are open? I know on some cars it can happen if just one window is open, but opening another window stops it

MAG1C CARP3T

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium (Tungsten Silver)
Occupation
New Home Consultant
Wind buffeting can be solved, the terrible sound system can be solved and they finally solved the biggest argument for people, a manual transmission. Now all the focus has gone to the exterior which is ironic considering how the Z looks.

Denton

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota Supra
Does that wind buffeting happen no matter how the windows are open? I know on some cars it can happen if just one window is open, but opening another window stops it
From my experience, you need both windows practically all the way down (I don't think that I've ever tried it with just one...).

I don't drive with my windows all the way down though, but in testing, I was able to resolve it by just offsetting the passenger window a bit.

There are aftermarket parts you can 3m onto the car that are pretty discrete and disrupt the airflow so that it stops it.

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator

MAG1C CARP3T

First Name
K2
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
2021 GR Supra 3.0 Premium (Tungsten Silver)
Occupation
New Home Consultant

supraboi

First Name
Vu
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
GS300
https://www.supramkv.com/threads/this-is-the-manual-toyota-supra-official-release.13228/

At long last, the Manual Transmission has been announced via press release from Toyota USA.

The highlights of the vehicle are:

• All new 6-speed Manual Transmission, bespoke to the Supra, available on all 3.0 Trims
  • Retuned Traction Control system with "Hairpin+" logic
  • Retuned Electric Power Steering
  • Retuned Dampers
  • 3.462 Final Drive Diff on MT models (same as M3/4 M-Active Diff)
  • New 12-speaker JBL Audio System
  • A91-MT Special Edition, Limited to 500 units, in Matte White or "CU Later Gray", with Cognac leather interior, & Red rear logo + red strut tower braces. Special Edition badge on side of dash.
  • Gunmetal Gray Forged 19" wheels
  • New Color lineup for standard models includes: Absolute Zero, Nitro Yellow, Nocturnal, Renaissance Red, Stratosphere Blue
Guff's Analysis:

The transmission is a modified version of an existing BMW 6-speed (EDIT: Toyota has confirmed it is a ZF GS6L50TZ, a part number bespoke to the Supra) with some case modifications and a new clutch system. Part Number will likely be bespoke to the Supra.

The Manual trans has a unique shifter assembly and Gazoo Racing 200g shift knob. The center console has also been redesigned to accommodate the shifter.

The new "Hairpin+" logic appears to be new logic in the traction control system that will change the diff's locking characteristics when on 5% or higher uphill grades. This should presumably allow the car to rotate better on uphill corners.

Additionally, the VSC system has been revised to better catch "snap oversteer" or "tank-slappers" when in a sport traction/suspension mode.

Track mode has been tuned to allow easier more predictable throttle control when drifting as well.

The Electric Power Steering has also been revised with new mechanical components and a retuned EPS programming. The details of the changes remains to be seen, but anything that improves feel and feedback is amazing in my books.

The full press release will be quoted below where you can find all the nitty gritty details.

ZDreamer

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Subaru
"the torque comes in @ 1800rpm" sounds very attractive but how consistent is it? I got a 2019 Subaru 4banger turbo and turbo lags like half the time and it was promised substantial amount of torque would kick in under 2000rpm.... but it's more like 3000rpm+ to produce consistent power/torque.

Houston.RZ34

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
15 Q50 S (3.7) 23 Stingray HTC
Occupation
CIO
Z vs Mk V, Wind buffeting, Lack of stick and N54 PTSD were the 3 main reasons to go Z......there is a fix for 2 outta 3 lol

With it being cheaper, the Z has to have a massive flaw or shortcoming at this point.....the only one I can think of off hand is the bang for buck mod wise. You'll be able to max out a stock snail Mk V for <1.5k and you'll have a solid, reliable(-ish) 500hp at the wheels, The Z isn't going to be nearly as cheap to get to those same numbers - based on what I've seen.......it's going to be about double (~3k-ish)

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
"the torque comes in @ 1800rpm" sounds very attractive but how consistent is it? I got a 2019 Subaru 4banger turbo and turbo lags like half the time and it was promised substantial amount of torque would kick in under 2000rpm.... but it's more like 3000rpm+ to produce consistent power/torque.
Due to the turbo spool speed, you'll have no kick in high gear(s), low rpm/speed, but with the turbo spooled, you'll get max torque quoted at the rpm (@1800).

If I'm rolling into it from Gears 1-4, i have little/no lag, but if i'm in 5-8 and try to get on it, the turbo lag is 2-3sec and then full powaaaah comes through. With the MT, you can just drop a few gears ( 6 > 3 Synchorev downshift FTW) and you'll be in peak boost gear.

Evolution

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Dont ask
Occupation
Thread derailer
Due to the turbo spool speed, you'll have no kick in high gear(s), low rpm/speed, but with the turbo spooled, you'll get max torque quoted at the rpm (@1800).

If I'm rolling into it from Gears 1-4, i have little/no lag, but if i'm in 5-8 and try to get on it, the turbo lag is 2-3sec and then full powaaaah comes through. With the MT, you can just drop a few gears ( 6 > 3 Synchorev downshift FTW) and you'll be in peak boost gear.
You do know you can hold the downshift paddle down and it automatically puts you in the best gear possible, pretty much instantly.

SD_MK

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Atacama Yellow Toyota Z4 M40i Premium GTS
Occupation
Full Time Rubber Band Elasticity Tester
You do know you can hold the downshift paddle down and it automatically puts you in the best gear possible, pretty much instantly.
They aren't Supra owners bro, chill LOL

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
lol..not on Audi ZF8 unfortunately. I tried it when I got the car initially and def did not work