(Hagerty) How fast is the new $50k Nissan Z? — New Z vs Supra vs Mustang Mach-1

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Fairly sure they've just got Michelin Pilot Sport 4S tyres from the factory. Personally I was surprised that the Z isn't equipped with the same given how good that tyre is, but I don't think its the end of the world.
As @TitanZ said….some mods were made

Last edited:

TitanZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2019 Titan SL 4x4 Midnight Edition
From what I've read on the Mach 1 forum those are 315 wide super sticky summer track tires that wear out super fast so they are basically just meant for the track and I think a lot of guys actually don't daily those tires. But even still they should have made sure that Mach had the 6-speed Tremec for a better apples-to-apples comparison IMO.

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
From what I've read on the Mach 1 forum those are 315 wide super sticky summer track tires that wear out super fast so they are basically just meant for the track and I think a lot of guys actually don't daily those tires. But even still they should have made sure that Mach had the 6-speed Tremec for a better apples-to-apples comparison IMO.
Not really. I’m very familiar w the current M1. As optioned the Handling Pack and Michelin Sport Cup 2s do help but only a little at launch, grip wise, it’s only a drag race. Plus this is auto vs auto comparo.

That M1 will destroy both even more on full track tests. So will the SS 1LE.

BurninateZ

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'92 MR2 Turbo, '19 508 GT, '23 Supra GT Manual
I just looked up a still from the video and the tyres do look like Pilot Super Sport Cup 2's, so you might be right on the handling pack

trackratZ

First Name
August
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
240Z RB26DETT,Glady Rubi, Model Y LR, 987 Cayman S
Occupation
Software security
Manuals don't even come close to newer, modern ATs these days.
This is true for drags, today’s shift logic is pretty advanced. Even slush boxes bang shifts almost as good as DCTs or PDKs dual clutch autos. Manuals can’t beat it anymore, humans are slowww.

Drseckzytime

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Stuff
Ohhhh am I disappointed, esp with the manual. Guess I'll wait for more across the board testing, past the drag races. Come on Randy Pobst, grab the wheel at Laguna Seca and spill your guts out!

OTOH, that Coyote in the Mach 1 is awesome, torque rules. Similar on the B58, great motor.
I think we know what will happen to this car on the track against the competition. Look how it lists on the road in reviews, and even how it bows like a boat under acceleration. And those tires lol.

For the others, there are two views on modding:

Wow, car is a great value, and mods will make it better.

And...

Well, just do this, this, and this, and it will be just as good if not slightly better despite the price being the same as those others.

I know car lovers make irrational decisions, but yeah.

Design killed it. Looks amazing. Everything else, is not.

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
Sucks the Z lost, but tbh, deep down majority of us knew that the Z would lose against the Supra..Jason said it best in his intro of the Supra...Which is why BMW is STILL king of Sport/fun cars (M3, M340i, M5, etc). but, the good thing is, now there is an actual JDM competitor amongst the germans and americans...even though it still lost LOL. Only thing now is to wait and see once owners/aftermarket start getting their hands on the car and seeing what they can do..:/

So, wonder what Toyota will do for the Supra 6MT pricing..probably will keep it same price as base 3.0..$55k...give buyers an even harder time in deciding LOL

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
My Evo was quicker in the 1/4 bone stock back in 2006 and cost $20k less. el oh el

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
I have a totally different perspective than many of y'all:

The new Z is significantly faster than the old one, not just faster than the old 7AT, but the new 6MT is a hypersonic missile compared to the old 6MT.

The new Z 6MT is even faster than my Q60, so for that I'd be smitten.

116 mph after spinning 2 gears and chirping 3rd sounds just like typical Nissan inability to lay down the power. Even better tires may not totally solve that issue, but it'd probably be nose to nose with the BMW. I was totally expecting that, knowing Nissan.

Had the Z beaten the BMW it would only have been 6 months before BMW released a return to gain 30-40hp. Nissan will likely leave the Z at 400 for many years.

I only consider Japanese cars. So, that leaves me few choices. The new Z is by far the fastest Japanese car I can afford. I don't drive in such a manner, such as on a track, to notice the disparity to better cars. On the street, the new Z is going to be ridiculously fast. Too fast for public roads.

The price doesn't bother me, I've been looking at $85k Tundra SR-5's lately. It's called inflation, and he we are. Better ask for a raise or reconsider how you vote.

bboypuertoroc

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2006 Evo IX, 2008 RHD Wrangler
Occupation
Mail Carrier
BRZ/86 didn't go up that much. Neither did the C8 (even coming from the C7). Inflation doesn't equal a $10k+ price hike.