Filled gas tank, but fuel gauge and DTE remained unchanged

JohnNYC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 Mercedes E350 bluetec. 2023 Nissan Z
I just fueled my 2023 Nissan Z performance 6 speed for the 2nd time. It had approximately 1/3 tank of gas and was reading 144 miles on the DTE. I filled the tank, I did not top it off. The engine was turned off and the key was in my pocket. When I started the Z neither the fuel gauge nor the DTE updated. This just happened. Not sure what that's about.

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Infiniti Q50, 2023 Nissan Z Preformance
I just fueled my 2023 Nissan Z performance 6 speed for the 2nd time. It had approximately 1/3 tank of gas and was reading 144 miles on the DTE. I filled the tank, I did not top it off. The engine was turned off and the key was in my pocket. When I started the Z neither the fuel gauge nor the DTE updated. This just happened. Not sure what that's about.
I have seen a post either on this site or Facebook about the same thing. I believe it was a quick fix. Try doing a search on here and see.

OP
OP
JohnNYC

JohnNYC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have seen a post either on this site or Facebook about the same thing. I believe it was a quick fix. Try doing a search on here and see.
Thanks, Murdock, that was the first thing I did was a search and saw the guy who commented that he refueled while the ignition was on and either the fuel gauge or the DTE didn't update. But that when he turned his Z completely off and restarted it the gauges were fine.

I'm hopeful when I drive home from work this afternoon I will experience the same. But, my Z was completely turned off when I refueled. Situation is slightly different.

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Infiniti Q50, 2023 Nissan Z Preformance
Thanks, Murdock, that was the first thing I did was a search and saw the guy who commented that he refueled while the ignition was on and either the fuel gauge or the DTE didn't update. But that when he turned his Z completely off and restarted it the gauges were fine.

I'm hopeful when I drive home from work this afternoon I will experience the same. But, my Z was completely turned off when I refueled. Situation is slightly different.
Oh, sorry to hear youā€™re having this issue.
Have you taken it to the dealer yet? Please let us all know once you fix it. Iā€™m sure we may see this situation one day.

OP
OP
JohnNYC

JohnNYC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Have you taken it to the dealer yet? Please let us all know once you fix it. Iā€™m sure we may see this situation one day.
Not yet my friend, I have an appointment already for July to get my Z's state inspection, if it's not resolved by itself I will definitely add as a service issue to the ticket.

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
wow...hope they fix it.
my 350 never had that issue, but 2 of the 4 nissan pickups ive had did.

they would also show 3/4 tank, then drop instantly to empty. you had about 5 miles to get to a gas station...

Last edited:

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Z NISMO & #1 GTR NISMO
my first fill up was yesterday. had 105 DTE. filled up to 329 and made sure the car was off because of the other thread. now im gonna be paranoid

Campi422

First Name
Campi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z Performs ce
I experienced the same problem of putting gas in my 2023 Z. The dealer couldnā€™t help there are so few cars around. No Nissan service bulletins.
I asked if there is a way to reset or reboot the computer. They said yes but it may not work.
I asked them to do and they restarted the computer and it worked.
Your dealer should know how to do this. In the fuse box under the dash there is a wire not fuse that they had to do something with.
I havenā€™t had the problem since then!

OP
OP
JohnNYC

JohnNYC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I experienced the same problem of putting gas in my 2023 Z. The dealer couldnā€™t help there are so few cars around. No Nissan service bulletins.
I asked if there is a way to reset or reboot the computer. They said yes but it may not work.
I asked them to do and they restarted the computer and it worked.
Your dealer should know how to do this. In the fuse box under the dash there is a wire not fuse that they had to do something with.
I havenā€™t had the problem since then!
Thanks for sharing. I appreciate it. I now believe that what I experienced is related to a stuck/sluggish gas tank fuel level sensor. The 2023 Z owner's manual states that the DTE will not update if "only a small amount of fuel" is added. So when I filled up last Wednesday, the fuel level never changed, the Z sat all day at work, and when driving home that afternoon the fuel gauge slowly went from 1/3 tank to 7/8 tank. All the while, the DTE never updated. I have seen recommendations online to reset the two trip options, and also to change the DTE from automatic to manual, none of these resets prompted an actual update to DTE. I now have 2/3 tank of fuel, and likely will refuel next week at some point. I'm going to wait to schedule a service appointment until I refuel, crossing fingers the fuel gauge will update when I refill, and the DTE as well.

Campi422

First Name
Campi
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z Performs ce
Thanks for sharing. I appreciate it. I now believe that what I experienced is related to a stuck/sluggish gas tank fuel level sensor. The 2023 Z owner's manual states that the DTE will not update if "only a small amount of fuel" is added. So when I filled up last Wednesday, the fuel level never changed, the Z sat all day at work, and when driving home that afternoon the fuel gauge slowly went from 1/3 tank to 7/8 tank. All the while, the DTE never updated. I have seen recommendations online to reset the two trip options, and also to change the DTE from automatic to manual, none of these resets prompted an actual update to DTE. I now have 2/3 tank of fuel, and likely will refuel next week at some point. I'm going to wait to schedule a service appointment until I refuel, crossing fingers the fuel gauge will update when I refill, and the DTE as well.
Excellent. I remember that the serive manager told me not to refuel until itā€™s below 1/2 tank.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Very similar thing is happening to new Tundras. I wonder if Nissan and Toyota share the same supplier for any of the related fuel components.

OP
OP
JohnNYC

JohnNYC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Update: this time I waited until I had less than a 1/4 tank before refilling. Filled up the Z and everything worked as it should, fuel gauge and DTE working great. I think the lesson for this particular Z owner is not to fill unless the tank is under 1/4 full! Ha! As you can see getting close to completing break-in periodā€¦ couple more weeks and will be free to set the demon loose! šŸ˜ˆšŸŽšŸ’Ø

IMG_6591.jpeg

West Aussie

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Hyundai I20
Update: this time I waited until I had less than a 1/4 tank before refilling. Filled up the Z and everything worked as it should, fuel gauge and DTE working great. I think the lesson for this particular Z owner is not to fill unless the tank is under 1/4 full! Ha! As you can see getting close to completing break-in periodā€¦ couple more weeks and will be free to set the demon loose! šŸ˜ˆšŸŽšŸ’Ø

IMG_6591.jpeg
But this is a bit crazy..you should be able to fill up whenever fuel is cheap and expect the car to continue working as usualā€¦not the opposite

OP
OP
JohnNYC

JohnNYC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
But this is a bit crazy..you should be able to fill up whenever fuel is cheap and expect the car to continue working as usualā€¦not the opposite
One would think, but that's not what I experienced... It's all good though, in no way does it change the amazing feeling I get driving my new Z. The new Z is so much fun to drive, I literally count down the hours until I can get behind the wheel again!

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
The new Z is so much fun to drive, I literally count down the hours until I can get behind the wheel again!
Me too. I took an uphill on ramp last night, one that I've driven for years, but first time in the Z. It was so much fun in the new Z. Even hitting only 3500-4000 rpm, the car is still a blast. I'm on vacation this week, so I won't get to drive again until next weekend.

Last edited: