Filled gas tank, but fuel gauge and DTE remained unchanged

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Z NISMO & #1 GTR NISMO
I just did my 2nd fill up and it reset. I got it down to under half maybe 161 miles DTE and filled it up.

I actually accidentally overfilled it. like 99% of the time I just use a card at gas station but I happened to have 40 cash on me today. premium is $4 here I didnt even think 10 gallons would totally fill it. so i told the lady 40 on the pump. I get to about $37.50 and it starts to cut off. I thinking its the pump because I prepaid so im trying to get my last 2.50 I paid and I keep gradually filling not even thinking the its the tank thats full. I look down and the gas is right up in the neck of the filler. 🤡

I gave it a few seconds and it went back down no harm but my DTE said 387 when I left 😄

Last edited:

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
quick question related to this. since I filled up the tank maybe just a hair too much is it common to smell a little gasoline smell around the tank area wheel well? not strong or anything but just noticed it a bit. nothing really leaked out it just came halfway up the neck. am i just noticing it a bit because its just totally ?

Last edited:

StrikeS30

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
78 280Z, 76 280Z, 88 300zx
quick question related to this. since I filled up the tank maybe just a hair too much is it common to smell a little gasoline smell around the tank area wheel well? not strong or anything but just noticed it a bit. nothing really leaked out it just came halfway up the neck. am i just noticing it a bit because its just totally ?
Probably yes. It may have taken a little fuel into the vent system being filled so high into the neck. It should clear up in a day or two after the fuel level drops. I wouldn't worry too much :D

fliplover

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2012 Impala LTZ; '21 Nissan Rogue
Occupation
Engineer
Hopefully you didn't get any gas in the charcoal evap canister.

https://www.cars.com/articles/what-happens-when-you-fill-up-with-too-much-gas-442051/

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Probably yes. It may have taken a little fuel into the vent system being filled so high into the neck. It should clear up in a day or two after the fuel level drops. I wouldn't worry too much :D

That's what I thought too.

Na the smell went away lke a few hours later it was really faint to begin with I just noticed everything.

jvroeder

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Supra, 2023 Z Perf 6MT, 2018 Z06 Vette 7spd
I have a 23 Z Performance manual transmission with 800 miles. Fuel was below 1/8 tank. Car obviously shut off, filled and neither fuel gauge or DTE moved. DTE was at 30 or so and worked down to "--" as I drove car. Over next couple days the gauge slowly moved to close to full which I think is right. DTE has remained at "--" though. I have a service appointment 9/18.

OP
OP
JohnNYC

JohnNYC

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2011 Mercedes E350 bluetec. 2023 Nissan Z
I have to admit this issue only happened the once in my Z, since then I only refill the Z when the tank reads under 1/4 tank.

jvroeder

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
I have a 23 Z Performance manual transmission with 800 miles. Fuel was below 1/8 tank. Car obviously shut off, filled and neither fuel gauge or DTE moved. DTE was at 30 or so and worked down to "--" as I drove car. Over next couple days the gauge slowly moved to close to full which I think is right. DTE has remained at "--" though. I have a service appointment 9/18.

jvroeder

First Name
Jim
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Took Z to dealer today. They said it stored no error codes and there were no applicable service bulletins. They performed a hard reset which is really unhook battery cable, wait 30 minutes and put cable back on. The car reset the DTE and the gauge worked as it should and when fuel tank was filled it showed correct DTE and full gauge was indicated. I guess this is a simple fix, but leaves me wondering why and if it will fail again.

Mr&Mrs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
RZ34
Ive topped off in this car twice so far. First time it was fine second time it wasn't reading full. This was a very common problem on 370's I was hoping they had fixed. I planned on running to near empty this time so hopefully it work like it did for the OP. One reason I do not like running the car low is because of the also common fuel starve issue 370s had. I was lucky enough to never get stranded by it, but it did happen to me twice. Little off topic, does anyone know if this still shares the fuel starve issue as well? It was caused by heavy load right turns.

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
I just had the opposite experience. My auto-refuel trip computer reset without going to the gas station. I'm around 1/4 tank. The manual-reset (which I manually reset at each fill) looks right, but auto-reset is way off. These two should basically always have the same results.

Thinking about this some more, I did my second oil change last Saturday, and only just looked at the trip computer today, so maybe something about the service reset it. The mileage on the auto-reset seems about right since the oil change.

Anyone else see this?

PriZ

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'05 G35, '92 G20, '23 Nissan Z
Ive topped off in this car twice so far. First time it was fine second time it wasn't reading full. This was a very common problem on 370's I was hoping they had fixed. I planned on running to near empty this time so hopefully it work like it did for the OP. One reason I do not like running the car low is because of the also common fuel starve issue 370s had. I was lucky enough to never get stranded by it, but it did happen to me twice. Little off topic, does anyone know if this still shares the fuel starve issue as well? It was caused by heavy load right turns.
Yes the new Z uses the same saddle tank design the older cars did. Radium makes a kit that can correct it the same way too. I don't think they're pushing it for the new Z just yet though https://www.radiumauto.com/Fuel-Hanger-Surge-Tank-Nissan-370Z-P1730.aspx.

Mr&Mrs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
RZ34