Loose gas cap…?

Maximus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
Started my car and got a warning light with it telling me my gas cap was loose. Turned the car off, opened the gas door, loosened the gas cap, tightened it back up, closed the gas door, turned my car back on….and it was still on. Any ideas what might cause it or has it happened to anybody else?

TIA,
Chris

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Z NISMO & #1 GTR NISMO
I'd give it a day and see if it does it in the morning

Possibly could be an evap sensor

OP
OP
Maximus

Maximus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
I'd give it a day and see if it does it in the morning

Possibly could be an evap sensor
That’s what I found out from googling also. If it still happens tomorrow….off to the dealership I guess

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
I think I had this on my G37 once. Did the same thing and didn't see it again.

OP
OP
Maximus

Maximus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
I think I had this on my G37 once. Did the same thing and didn't see it again.
Turned on my car this morning and it’s still happening. What happens to the evap sensor that it goes bad?

StrikeS30

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
78 280Z, 76 280Z, 88 300zx
Turned on my car this morning and it’s still happening. What happens to the evap sensor that it goes bad?
If it's just the sensor itself and not some form of leak or anything, It shouldn't do much of anything. Evap isn't too concerning unless there's some big leaks causing misfiring, stumbling and stalling.

I recently had an evap issue on my winter beater, low idle, stalled a couple times. Threw a code. Came up with purge valve, I replaced the unit, and replaced a canister vent solenoid.

Every once in a while I still keep getting a light, check it and it says Evap Small leak, lol I just ignore it and it comes and goes.

Not really related, but evap isnt really that big of a cause for concern unless the car is acting strange, idling low, stumbling or something or throwing an actual check engine light.

I'd still get it checked out, could be a faulty gas cap still even though it's "tight"

OP
OP
Maximus

Maximus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
If it's just the sensor itself and not some form of leak or anything, It shouldn't do much of anything. Evap isn't too concerning unless there's some big leaks causing misfiring, stumbling and stalling.

I recently had an evap issue on my winter beater, low idle, stalled a couple times. Threw a code. Came up with purge valve, I replaced the unit, and replaced a canister vent solenoid.

Every once in a while I still keep getting a light, check it and it says Evap Small leak, lol I just ignore it and it comes and goes.

Not really related, but evap isnt really that big of a cause for concern unless the car is acting strange, idling low, stumbling or something or throwing an actual check engine light.

I'd still get it checked out, could be a faulty gas cap still even though it's "tight"
Thanks for the explanation 👍🏼
I’ll call the dealership to have them check it out. Car is running perfect but the fact I have a light on my dash that doesn’t need to be on, other than my traction control turned off….lol, it bothers me.

ceric

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'16 Mazda6
If you got a OBDII scanner, reset the code. See if it shows up again.
Such light might take a few days to reset itself.

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

My understanding is there is a canister(or maybe it's the open atmosphere) the gasoline fumes vent to. The sensor detects the amount. When a cap is loose it can contribute to a false reading. Why it would just go bad I'm not sure

I'm gonna guess it might be a false code as when you have a real problem with the evap system you will sometimes have a strong smell of gasoline. I just know a little about it as it was an issue with the first year GTRs on my forum back in the day

Last edited:

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
one thing you "could" do is pull the negative battery cable then press the brake in. this will reset the ECU. should be ok to do but not sure if it messes up your radio channels settings ect.

OP
OP
Maximus

Maximus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
one thing you "could" do is pull the negative battery cable then press the brake in. this will reset the ECU. should be ok to do but not sure if it messes up your radio channels settings ect.
Would that mess with my tune?

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Would that mess with my tune?
Oh yeah forgot about that. I'm not sure as a tune typically overwrites the base tune and there is a some stored memory. Until you find out for sure disregard my suggestion 😆. Would won't to make things more complicated

OP
OP
Maximus

Maximus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
Ugh….just started my car and the light is gone….lol

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ugh….just started my car and the light is gone….lol

makes me think its just a false signal. you could never see it again. can happen sometimes as when the car starts there is a whole system of self checks. never had anything on the Z but had a few false codes on a 21 rogue and a 22 pathfinder that happened once and never again.

the gas cap loose thing itself it sort of outdated as most have the 1 click where there really is no tightening anymore and some manufacturers have totally abandoned the cap.

OP
OP
Maximus

Maximus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
makes me think its just a false signal. you could never see it again. can happen sometimes as when the car starts there is a whole system of self checks. never had anything on the Z but had a few false codes on a 21 rogue and a 22 pathfinder that happened once and never again.

the gas cap loose thing itself it sort of outdated as most have the 1 click where there really is no tightening anymore and some manufacturers have totally abandoned the cap.
I wish cars would go back to the way they used to be with less “self checks”….lol