Duckbill doesn’t fit the way I hoped 😡

Maximus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
New duckbill spoiler fitment isn’t what I wanted and I’m not sure how to mount it.

My initial thoughts were to use double sided tape with a liquid adhesive to help the tape stick even better to the spoiler itself. But after test fitting it today, there seems to be a decent-sized gap.

Can heat the spoiler itself so that it flexes and I’m able to bend it to the contour of the trunk? Or do I use the self tapping fasteners to mount it and they’ll pull the gap closed?

Thanks,
Chris

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
Do you have pictures by chance? It'll also depend on the material of the spoiler. Some materials don't leave you much wiggle room without getting into some full on body work.

I had these fears and ultimately it's what lead me to Seibon because it bolted on using the factory holes.

OP
OP
Maximus

Maximus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
Do you have pictures by chance? It'll also depend on the material of the spoiler. Some materials don't leave you much wiggle room without getting into some full on body work.

I had these fears and ultimately it's what lead me to Seibon because it bolted on using the factory holes.
I’m gonna try to heat it with a heat gun and hopefully it becomes flexible. I’ll take a pic of the gap tomorrow when there’s more light.

Racebox

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Racebox
Threads
Reaction score
Website
goracebox.com
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
Occupation
Tuning/ parts installation
received_6907528525967676 (1).jpeg

We've been fortunate to have a great fitment experience with Southbay Autoworkz' rear carbon duckbill for the Z. Carbon pieces are always iffy when it comes to fitment. This sits nicely if you're looking for an alternative and should be out for sale soon if it isn't already! We stuck ours on with 60lb gorilla tape in a rush for Coffee and Cars, but it's held up wonderfully.

received_1449084332346711 (1).jpeg

OP
OP
Maximus

Maximus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z

We've been fortunate to have a great fitment experience with Southbay Autoworkz' rear carbon duckbill for the Z. Carbon pieces are always iffy when it comes to fitment. This sits nicely if you're looking for an alternative and should be out for sale soon if it isn't already! We stuck ours on with 60lb gorilla tape in a rush for Coffee and Cars, but it's held up wonderfully.

If you could help me in letting me know where you put your tape…..
The Rocket Bunny one I have has an outer lip around the bottom of the spoiler and then it’s sunken in around the middle (not sure if you can tell by the pic). Did your duckbill have a similar “lip” and if so, is that where you put your tape….or did you put it on the inner area? Because I also have double sided tape and adhesion promoter

Thanks,
Chris
IMG_0376.jpeg

Racebox

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Racebox
Threads
Reaction score
Website
goracebox.com
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
Occupation
If you could help me in letting me know where you put your tape…..
The Rocket Bunny one I have has an outer lip around the bottom of the spoiler and then it’s sunken in around the middle (not sure if you can tell by the pic). Did your duckbill have a similar “lip” and if so, is that where you put your tape….or did you put it on the inner area? Because I also have double sided tape and adhesion promoter

Thanks,
Chris
IMG_0376.jpeg
Hey Chris!
Our duckbill did not have lips like this, though it did have the mounting holes like yours does. Personally, the tape that we used for installation was thick enough that even a lip like that shouldn't be an issue. We lined the entire perimeter with tape as close as we could get to the edge without it showing and then put a few strips in the middle as well for security. No issues so far, just make sure to use heat if you go to remove it later so that you don't hurt the paint pulling it off!

Racebox

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Racebox
Threads
Reaction score
Website
goracebox.com
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
Occupation
Also, don't forget to clean with alcohol first before installing LOL

OP
OP
Maximus

Maximus

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
Hey Chris!
Our duckbill did not have lips like this, though it did have the mounting holes like yours does. Personally, the tape that we used for installation was thick enough that even a lip like that shouldn't be an issue. We lined the entire perimeter with tape as close as we could get to the edge without it showing and then put a few strips in the middle as well for security. No issues so far, just make sure to use heat if you go to remove it later so that you don't hurt the paint pulling it off!
Thanks for the insight 👍🏼 I think I’ll run the tape around the perimeter like you did and infill the middle with whatever I have leftover. Definitely have alcohol on hand to clean the surfaces before applying the adhesion promoter.
I just added spacers to widen the stance for this duckbill so it fits the look better being this is a non wide body.
IMG_0369.jpeg

DerrellSC

First Name
Derrell
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z
Occupation
Teacher

Looking for this spoiler. Can't find it on their website. Do you have a link?

Racebox

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Racebox
Threads
Reaction score
Website
goracebox.com
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
Occupation
Did you use alcohol on the trunk itself to clean it….or will that damage the paint?
While we would never tell anyone that alcohol is good for paint, it is the best way to clean an area for adhesive installs- just use it in moderation and you'll be fine!

Racebox

Diamond Sponsor
First Name
Racebox
Threads
Reaction score
Website
goracebox.com
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z
Occupation
Looking for this spoiler. Can't find it on their website. Do you have a link?
Hit them up @southbay_autoworkz on Instagram, surely someone can help you get your hands on one! They weren't released yet when we got ours, so they may still be up and coming!