Does anyone actually want an automatic?

morgand

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NISMO Z
I'll break the trend, I am an auto buyer.

Whilst I understand the romantic, historic, sports car notion of stick shift, the reality is modern auto's are always faster, including around race tracks.

But then I like my Drama!! Select Gearbox (DSG) in my R32. It's had a tune and you can set the up and down shift points based on road speed, so it's doing everything a person is doing on entry and exit of the corner, including a satisfying throttle blip to rev match. :)

Today the race cars that are still manual, noting F1 and Indy cars are already automatic transmission, only use the clutch to start and stop, as they just bash through the manual in sequence.

Now if it was a sequential shifter, then maybe the manual would have some slight appeal to me. :)

Last edited:

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
For "someone for whom the acceleration" is actually an important buying point should be shopping for cars to go on the track and will largely be gutting it anyway for race modification. That means they can buy whatever cheap car they, or their sponsorship, can afford and then refit it to be electric for the supposed "acceleration benefit". The "bulbous electric sedans" will still out-perform the petrol "sub-compact, 2-door, sports car". :)
Untrue. Effortless acceleration is of major benefit both on and off of a track. Does that really require justification? I feel like we are all aware of that. The vast majority of drivers will *never* drive any vehicle in a track setting, whether it be their own vehicle or someone else's. The same way most SUV owners will never take their vehicles off road, at least not deliberately. That's just how it is. So, the idea that anyone interested in acceleration, full-stop, is or should be looking for a track car is fundamentally silly.

Again, people shopping for a Z are already looking at sports cars, they're clearly looking for a certain size, aesthtic, and set of general vehicular attributes. So the idea that "random electric sedan" is quicker-accelerating is irrelevant to that shopping process. Someone looking for beach attire is unlikely to be swayed to buy a wool overcoat regardless of its various qualities.

Overall, I'm simply saying you're making an illogical and unnecessary point.

indio22

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'72 Rover S3, '85 CJ7, '98 TJ, '14 BRZ, '23 Bronco
86 are both 6 speeds, so the final drive comparison is interesting.

However, with the Z it'll be 6 speed or 9 speed. No sense in comparing their final drives
For the Z, I can't seem to find the auto and manual diff gear specs listed anywhere. Only listed is what are called "final drive" (3.538 MT vs 3.133 AT) , which it's unclear if they mean diff gears or actual final drive with the highest trans gear selected.

But anyway, here are the manual and auto trans gear sets:

MTAT
1st3.7955.425
2nd2.3253.263
3rd1.6252.250
4th1.2721.649
5th1.000 1.221
6th0.7951.000
7th0.862
8th0.713
9th0.597

So overall, the auto Z trans digs deeper and also allows for lower high speed cruising revs. Interested to confirm the diff gears, if they are different for the manual and auto vehicles, and the overall final ratios/rpms.

relyt

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
CNC Machinist
The only way I would consider getting one without a clutch is if it was a true dual clutch automatic. I don't care that this one is faster than the manual even with a torque converter. Faster isn't what I care about.

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Infiniti Q50, 2023 Nissan Z Preformance
The only way I would consider getting one without a clutch is if it was a true dual clutch automatic. I don't care that this one is faster than the manual even with a torque converter. Faster isn't what I care about.
Get a brz if you don’t care for speed and want a manual. Save your $ :)

Denton

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Toyota Supra
Any real car enthusiast will buy the manual, remove the manual, and replace it with an 18 speed from a semi.

For the extra purity... 🙄

Ya know. Since the only thing that matters about the drive is the is shifting?

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
noting F1 and Indy cars are already automatic transmission
Nope. F1 cars are semi-automatic. They've simply switched to flappy paddles and no clutch pushing (partly to save cockpit space and weight), but the driver is still in full control of which gear is used when. No race driver uses an automatic in automatic mode ... it's simply ludicrous to do so.

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
Again, people shopping for a Z are already looking at sports cars, they're clearly looking for a certain size, aesthtic, and set of general vehicular attributes.
Again, 0-60 timers are completely irrelevant on the road. :rolleyes: If that's a hugely important reason for you buying any road car, then you're simply either a hoon or an idiot, or both. Either way you're likely to lose your license pretty quickly, but hopefully won't kill anyone else in the process.

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
For some people who buy a Z because of the speed and handling, it's like someone buying an AR15 just in case they encounter an armed intruder.

Most will shit their pants upon encountering forces beyond their limits.

Kbl911

First Name
K
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2017 370Z
Occupation
Wealth Management
Again, 0-60 timers are completely irrelevant on the road. :rolleyes: If that's a hugely important reason for you buying any road car, then you're simply either a hoon or an idiot, or both. Either way you're likely to lose your license pretty quickly, but hopefully won't kill anyone else in the process.
I'm just going to ignore the lunacy of this statement.

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
Most will shit their pants upon encountering forces beyond their limits.
Yep. Most of these idiots whining on about 0-60 times will never even attempt to experience those times on a track, let alone the road ... which simply makes even less relevant. :rolleyes:

There's a similar thing with people who buy laptop computers simply because it's the "cool" thing to do ... yet the laptop never ever leaves their desk and wall socket. For the same price they could easily have bought a desktop computer that was more powerful and with a bigger display, but that isn't as "cool" to their friends.

Last edited:

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
And here (as posted by V35 in another topic) is what happens to the few such morons who do stupidly attempt it.

The morons get what they deserve ... the problem is they often kill someone else. :mad:

jdm-rhd

First Name
rob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
95 hardtop supra, 93 widebody rx7, 93 stockish rx7
Occupation
videogame tester/skater
Any real car enthusiast will buy the manual, remove the manual, and replace it with an 18 speed from a semi.

For the extra purity... 🙄

Ya know. Since the only thing that matters about the drive is the is shifting?

morgand

First Name
M
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
NISMO Z
Nope. F1 cars are semi-automatic. They've simply switched to flappy paddles and no clutch pushing (partly to save cockpit space and weight), but the driver is still in full control of which gear is used when. No race driver uses an automatic in automatic mode ... it's simply ludicrous to do so.
We can argue about semantics, I sense you're that guy, but no clutch and paddles to change gears would hardly be called a manual stick shift, and can clearly be duplicated in manual mode of the automatic transmission in the Z.

Reactions: Mud