Does anyone actually want an automatic?

Denver the Last Dinosaur

First Name
Denver
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
cardboard box
They better spin up some nuke plants or else the grid will melt. ;)
The electricity supply in many countries already can't cope thanks to all the portable gadgets. There's no way it's going to cope when everyone is forced into electric cars. Just one of the many many problems with the silly idea of electric cars. :(

Auto for sure. Like someone else said, it’s night and day difference quarter mile times.
It's not a track car. "Quarter mile times" are completely irrelevant on the road. Plus no real race driver uses a car in automatic anyway - you need to have proper control to do what you want, not what the computer thinks you want.

These threads are always fun. Manual. No question. Full stop.

If quarter mile times are your main argument for going auto, I'd suggesting seeking something German or American instead.
They'd be better off with an electric car since it has near-instant full power and no gears at all to worry about.

LZ23

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z
Manual only. No point in the auto in 2022. If you aren’t going to religiously, slowly row your gears out of holy reverence, buy an EV. Otherwise get slaughtered in your auto sports car by a model 3 on autopilot for lack of faith.
You do realize it's going to be more of a slaughter in the manual.

Ziggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Abarth 124
You do realize it's going to be more of a slaughter in the manual.
Yes, but at least you can claim passion and love of driving in the manual. A slow ice car with a slow transmission because you are one with the car or whatever. The auto is pointless. You are are marginally faster than the manual, but still way outdated and slower than the EV driver who doesn’t care about cars at all while still not being involved. Can’t see the value in that. Being slow for love, I can get on board with that. These days buying an auto ice just says you can’t afford an EV.

LZ23

First Name
Larry
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
350z
Yes, but at least you can claim passion and love of driving in the manual. A slow ice car with a slow transmission because you are one with the car or whatever. The auto is pointless. You are are marginally faster than the manual, but still way outdated and slower than the EV driver who doesn’t care about cars at all while still not being involved. Can’t see the value in that. Being slow for love, I can get on board with that. These days buying an auto ice just says you can’t afford an EV.
So theres no love and passion driving lamborghinis,ferrraris and c8 corvettes ,yeah there dual clutch but still automatics

Ziggy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Abarth 124
So theres no love and passion driving lamborghinis,ferrraris and c8 corvettes ,yeah there dual clutch but still automatics
Lamborghini, Ferrari, and C8 autos can still compete with EV performance today. We’re talking about slow ICEs here which the Z definitely is. You can convince me that you still love driving if you have a Lamborghini, Ferrari, or Z06 engine in your car. Even if it’s an auto. You cannot convince me if you drive an auto Z, BRZ, Miata, etc. It’s how I see things in my bubble. I live in California. Half my neighborhood is EVs. The keeping up with joneses message with people around me is “you buy an ev unless something is wrong with you.” Manual gearboxes is what’s wrong with me.

BurninateZ

First Name
Jamie
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'92 MR2 Turbo, '19 508 GT, '23 Supra GT Manual
You can convince me that you still love driving if you have a Lamborghini, Ferrari, or Z06 engine in your car. Even if it’s an auto. You cannot convince me if you drive an auto Z, BRZ, Miata, etc. It’s how I see things in my bubble.
I don't think anyone is going to change their opinion because of some posts on a forum. It's not like we're not already well aware of the decisions we're making...

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
The auto does have a few advantages, it's 0-60 time is faster,the exhaust sounds alot better,it has sport mode,it gets quite a bit better gas mileage.
Yeah, but rowing the gears contributes to the driving experience over the going experience.

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Infiniti Q50, 2023 Nissan Z Preformance
The electricity supply in many countries already can't cope thanks to all the portable gadgets. There's no way it's going to cope when everyone is forced into electric cars. Just one of the many many problems with the silly idea of electric cars. :(

It's not a track car. "Quarter mile times" are completely irrelevant on the road. Plus no real race driver uses a car in automatic anyway - you need to have proper control to do what you want, not what the computer thinks you want.

They'd be better off with an electric car since it has near-instant full power and no gears at all to worry about.
Sorry but you’re wrong. It’s been proven Over and over. But to each thier own.

refer to this thread and watch the video

https://www.nissanzclub.com/forum/threads/at-vs-mt-0-60-times.1295/page-2

jezzza

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Ranger Raptor
Occupation
‎‎ Engineer
At the very least, a manual is the better choice for protection from it being stolen because most criminals don't know how to drive a "stick-shift". :)
(That may be more of an urban legend than reality though - there's no real data to prove it either way.)
Never heard this one before. What a truely ridiculous myth.

OP
OP
Ckynus

Ckynus

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z
Occupation
Film
Sorry but you’re wrong. It’s been proven Over and over. But to each thier own.
Nobody is arguing that a human can shift more precisely then a computer. Just for some of us that control is well worth the sacrifice in speed.

Go2ZZZ

First Name
Murdock
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2020 Infiniti Q50, 2023 Nissan Z Preformance
Nobody is arguing that a human can shift more precisely then a computer. Just for some of us that control is well worth the sacrifice in speed.
I respect that. It’s you’re own preference and you can choose whatever tranny you need for what you want out of it.

Donalex

First Name
Don
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
1995 Nissan 300ZX
The number one reason for grid stress and failure?

The Weather.

Not your iPhone. If that was the case, we'd have problems all the time.

Extreme heat and cold, infrastructure damaged by destructive storms, and - though not really weather-related - earthquakes are just some of the events.

Transmission lines get damaged, stations get popped by lightning, a/c and heating units used to overcome extreme temperature events, etc.

To a lessor extent, dated and inefficient power infrastructure, human error, maintenance, cyber attacks, intentional/planned outages, and increased demand are all mid to high frequency events which cause strain and outages.

As long as we have government actors living with their head in the sand and who are addicted to the power industry "campaign contributions", we're going to have problems.

Doesn't matter how many iPhone chargers are being used...

And, now, let's return to our regularly scheduled forum jibber-jabber...

because_murica

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2013 Camaro SS-1LE
Occupation
Litigator
Lamborghini, Ferrari, and C8 autos can still compete with EV performance today. We’re talking about slow ICEs here which the Z definitely is. You can convince me that you still love driving if you have a Lamborghini, Ferrari, or Z06 engine in your car. Even if it’s an auto. You cannot convince me if you drive an auto Z, BRZ, Miata, etc. It’s how I see things in my bubble. I live in California. Half my neighborhood is EVs. The keeping up with joneses message with people around me is “you buy an ev unless something is wrong with you.” Manual gearboxes is what’s wrong with me.
Most of the exotic manufacturers have lost their way - pandering solely to the uber rich that have close to zero driving skills. While their newest creations are obviously orders of magnitude better performers than their cars from the 90s, they have completely lost their souls. Most of these high end cars are no longer driver's cars. They've purely become an exhibition for new tech and 0-60 times. Certainly impressive, and arguably engaging, but not like they once were. To that point, I'd argue that a new Miata is miles more engaging than almost anything worth $200k+ today (GT3 aside).

This is why Porsche is the only high end manufacturer I still respect. They still offer a manual transmission in their most engaging cars. They have not lost their way. And for this reason, it's the only high end car I'm preparing to purchase within the next 5 years (GT3 or GTS).