Did Nissan make the right call by naming it just "Z"?

Which one?

• Total voters

Zboy

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z32
Already tons of comments on social media about what Nissan should have called it or Z sounds plain and dumb. Do you think Nissan made the right decision? What would you have called it?

Haste

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'23 Civic Type R, '09 335i, '23 Kona N
I prefer just Z.

I would have been fine with 300ZX, but I understand that from a marketing perspective it sounds like a step back to people who don't know any better. 400Z never made any sense to me.

They could have called it whatever they wanted and I'd still buy it.

R_E_L

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
'18 BRZ, '98 328i
I actually hope they have some Fairlady Z badges available when the car releases. I always thought it was a cool name but I know there are too many people who would be worried about the potential knock on their masculinity to consider a car with the word lady in the name. Nissan Z works and it fits with the cool Z badge on the C pillar.

relyt

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Jeep Rubicon
Occupation
CNC Machinist
I would have liked it to be called the 300ZX just to keep with tradition and to bring back that history, but knowing how American minds work specifically, it makes sense to not use a smaller number than the outgoing car, especially since that would point out to people that the engine is actually smaller than the old car. Being the largest market in the world for the car, it makes sense to cater to the people who thought that A&W's 1/3lb burger was a rip off because it was obviously smaller than the Quarter Pounder.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60
Just "Z" is my second choice, my first preference is "300Z".

Datsun/Nissan always referred to the Z by engine displacement.

When the "ZX" gens came around it was to signify a Grand-Touring tilt (and a bunch of weight and 2+2's) which was then dropped by Z33 and Z34.

Therefore, "300Z" would have been a new name in the history. I have no issue with it going backwards numerically. I take way more offense to what Infiniti and Acura have done with their vehicle naming schemes over the years.

I'm happy though about "Z". It may be that Nissan intends to offer this chassis with an engine that may not be 3.0L? Maybe we'll get a punched-out VR for the Nismo? VR35 maybe?

Or, it could leave Nissan with a great segue from their ICE Z to a future EV/Hybrid/PHEV/whatever Z??

Trackaholic

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2016 GT350, 2003 350Z (sold after 200,000 miles)
"Z" was my first choice, but I would have accepted "Fairlady Z" as well. I've been getting sick of new numbers for each generation, although it does make it easy to tell the versions apart. Still prefer the consistent naming scheme like Corvette, 911, Mustang, etc. They don't need to change the name each time. Always called my 350Z "the Z" anyway, so very glad they didn't call it "400 Z" which would have been dumb.

-T

TaroBaapG35

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
18' Audi S4, '22 M3 LR
Occupation
Finance Professional
Z is nice; Fairlady Z would've been nicer.