Dec '22 Proto hood paint damage

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
Even more weird and I didn't notice it before but my hood isn't flush on both sides. The right side is up higher and you can feel it if you run your hand across the gap to fender. I think its just the little rubber hood stop that I can adjust but how the fuck is that messed up haha! So strange the left side is perfectly flush.
Are both left and right sides latched? I noticed my hood not sitting properly, and found that only the passenger side was latched. Raising the hood a bit and dropping it from a few inches solved the problem, see above:

I noticed today that my hood wasn't properly closed. It seems to latch at two points (driver and passenger side), and I think only the passenger side was properly latched. Not sure if this might be related to the paint chipping issue, but it's something to check. I've been driving like this since Monday, I think. User error. It's closed properly now.
I don't recall my G37 latching on two sides. @takemorepills, does yours? Does the 370Z?

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
Are both left and right sides latched? I noticed my hood not sitting properly, and found that only the passenger side was latched. Raising the hood a bit and dropping it from a few inches solved the problem, see above:

I don't recall my G37 latching on two sides. @takemorepills, does yours? Does the 370Z?
Oh weird I'll check it out and report back. Thanks so much for sharing.

takemorepills

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Q60

My coupe has the latches on 2 sides, but the safety release latch is in the middle. The 2 latches on the sides are connected to the interior release cable.
PXL_20230621_124748579.jpg

Jah_Happy

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z (Everest White, Performance, 6MT)
My coupe has the latches on 2 sides, but the safety release latch is in the middle. The 2 latches on the sides are connected to the interior release cable.
PXL_20230621_124748579.jpg
Thanks guys, turns out im just an idiot and sure enough after pushing down on the high side, I heard it latch and now its flush lol.

shameful

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z
Took a look at my new Z (edit: Dec 22 build) I picked up Monday after seeing this thread, and yep, I've got this problem on my car too. Only the one side so far.

Funny thing is I haven't opened the hood yet. This must've happened at the dealership or before I suppose. Really wish I had looked before picking up the car.

z hood damage.jpg

Last edited:

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
24 Z NISMO & #1 GTR NISMO
Nissan was happy to repair mine, they raised the hood as a fix and spot touched-up the paint. Haven’t opened the hood since.

what did they do to raise it? were those A pillar finishers sitting little higher than the hood on yours too?

OP
OP
Beard

Beard

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'22 Proto Z
Occupation
IT
what did they do to raise it? were those A pillar finishers sitting little higher than the hood on yours too?
Yeah a pillars appeared to be higher but they said because they are fitted to the body with plastic clips it was the hood that needed to be adjusted. I’ve not personally investigated how they raised the hood. Will check today for you and see if I can tell. The hinge looks pretty complex so I imagine there is area for adjustment.

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Yeah a pillars appeared to be higher but they said because they are fitted to the body with plastic clips it was the hood that needed to be adjusted. I’ve not personally investigated how they raised the hood. Will check today for you and see if I can tell. The hinge looks pretty complex so I imagine there is area for adjustment.

ok yeah was just curious. didnt know if they just stuck a washer under a bolt or not. whatever they did to yours I need done

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)

did you ever see if there was like a washer or anything nissan put in to raise the hood. its the fix visible?

OP
OP
Beard

Beard

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'22 Proto Z
Occupation
IT
did you ever see if there was like a washer or anything nissan put in to raise the hood. its the fix visible?
Hey Matt,
Sorry for the delay mate, I was unable to find an exact method for their fix. But took many photos of the hinge as I assume that is what they would have adjusted to raise the hood.

IMG_8095.jpeg

IMG_8098.jpeg

IMG_8097.jpeg

IMG_8094.jpeg

IMG_8096.jpeg

IMG_8093.jpeg

MCN1SMO

First Name
Matt (MC)
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Thanks for the pics I just went and raised my hood for comparison and it doesn't look like anything was added. Not sure what was adjusted on yours and the bolts don't even look like they have been broken free .

Do you notice a big difference? Is the hood a bit higher on the back now flush with the a pillar finishers?

OP
OP
Beard

Beard

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'22 Proto Z
Occupation
IT
Do you notice a big difference? Is the hood a bit higher on the back now flush with the a pillar finishers?
Big difference, hood has been lifted to match the height of the pillars. Hood easily clears the pillars when opened now.