Comparison of ANC/ASE on and off

Mud

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 370Z, 2023 Z
That is frustrating... It's like the same menu minus the ANC option...

Why would they change it??

I wonder if the 9" infotainment will have it?
Yeah I was thinking this
Need some US peeps to check

or maybe, just maybe, it's missing because its been disabled at the dealer?
anyone without it disabled able to check?

OP
OP
bpeckham

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
Yeah I was thinking this
Need some US peeps to check

or maybe, just maybe, it's missing because its been disabled at the dealer?
anyone without it disabled able to check?
The 9-inch infotainment system doesn't have ANC/ASE settings in the hidden menu either.

Reactions: Mud

Darkhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z
anyone wanna try this:
* hold "menu" button
* turn "tune scroll" to the left a few turns
* turn "tune scroll" to the right a few turns

Car audio settings menu may appear and there may be settings for ANC / ASE?
It works for some other Nissans
I did this yesterday and gained access to a bunch of config and diagnostics. There is no access to change ANC / ASE from this menu. Sad

MindScape

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Z Performance (Black)
Occupation
Market Research
Confirmed, US Performance model (9” hu), no ANC/ASE in the config/diagnosis menu

qellman32

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023-24 Nissan Z Performance (Black/Black)
Occupation
DoorDash Dasher
Had my dealer's Service Department disable the fake engine sound! At least I believe that's what it did lol. The service guy was worried that they would change the setting, but it wouldn't stay after a power cycle. Thankfully it did. Basically, if you don't mind the engine sound piped in, don't worry about. It sounds good to me. Disabling for me it sounds mostly the same. The mid-range is a little more audible, but it's not like night and day. It's not as smooth (which is a good thing). I can hear each cycle like an engine (hard to explain lol)

The sound engineers did a good job tuning the speaker system. I was thinking that disabling this feature would change the sound signature of the speakers. It added a little more bass, but like a little bit. I think that maybe the speakers just broke in more.

I disabled the engine sound so that I could change the subwoofer and not have the sound amplified. Hopefully this does the trick. I'm still testing it, but I think I like it this way. I might think about disabling the Active Noise Cancellation too.

IMG_20230722_194545.jpg

Darkhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z
I hate the idea of ASC, but actually didn't mind the tone/sound of the artificial engine note. It definitely wasn't a Turbo V6 (lol) but it sounded tough.

I turned mine off when I upgraded the sub (as I've said elsewhere, this is mandatory, or your ears will literally bleed...) but I also did exhaust at same time so couldn't really compare before and after.
I can say now that I don't miss it at all.

The wind noise in this car is absolute shit. Pretty typical of cheap japanese builds though - wouldn't get it in Euro cars (Z4upra et al).
I'll eventually throw sound deadening all over it, but it'll be one of the last things I do.

Can also confirm that it requires dealership to disable ANC/ASC. For now at least.
Takes them less than a minute. No one should be paying for it...
you cant even drive the z4upra with the windows down due to excessive buffeting noise, it cant be that amazing.

Darkhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z
I have turned off ASE but still have ANC and with a stock manual exhaust it's too quiet to have more than a vague idea of where your revs are at by listening.

This is annoying but I assume it wont be an issue with an aftermarket exhaust which will be installed soon enough. Nothing wrong with less tyre and wind noise in the cabin imo

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
I have turned off ASE but still have ANC and with a stock manual exhaust it's too quiet to have more than a vague idea of where your revs are at by listening.

This is annoying but I assume it wont be an issue with an aftermarket exhaust which will be installed soon enough. Nothing wrong with less tyre and wind noise in the cabin imo
I will be interested to see what you think.
Tempted to turn my ANC back on to see if it interferes with the sub. Shouldn't, but only one way to find out

KCZ

First Name
KCZ
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Nissan Z, Evora, Boxster, Jeep, Xterra.
Had the dealer turn off my ANC/ASE today. A bit more road/tire noise without them but not bothersome. Can't judge until I replace the tires anyway and also see what it sounds like with an aftermarket exhaust. And it cost me $84 for the 10 minutes this adjustment took. Wonder how much I paid Nissan for them in the first place. :(

Mr&Mrs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
RZ34
I just called the nearest dealer to me and was quoted 179.00 for an hour of labor. For a 10 minute job? The service advisor put a tech on the phone and he basically hung up on me (set phone down and walked away). Because he tried telling me you can turn it off yourself. Which we all know isn't possible. I just went through this same BS with my C8. Couldn't find a dealer within 50 miles of me to do non routine maintenance. We spend all this money on these cars and no dealer will do anything we want to them. The manufacturers don't do anything about it either. They cant "force" them to do anything. I didn't have this problem 10 years ago.

Edit: To be clear the things I want done do not void my warranty either.

OP
OP
bpeckham

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
I just called the nearest dealer to me and was quoted 179.00 for an hour of labor. For a 10 minute job? The service advisor put a tech on the phone and he basically hung up on me (set phone down and walked away). Because he tried telling me you can turn it off yourself. Which we all know isn't possible. I just went through this same BS with my C8. Couldn't find a dealer within 50 miles of me to do non routine maintenance. We spend all this money on these cars and no dealer will do anything we want to them. The manufacturers don't do anything about it either. They cant "force" them to do anything. I didn't have this problem 10 years ago.

Edit: To be clear the things I want done do not void my warranty either.
Well, that's frustrating. I wonder if an indy shop can do it? I'll ask mine next time I'm in for an oil change.

Last edited:

Mr&Mrs

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
RZ34
Well, that's frustrating. I wonder if an indy shop can do it? I'll ask mine next time I'm in for an oil change.
I called consumer affairs and setup a call for tomorrow with the regional rep. It generally goes no where but it doesn't hurt to try. I'm fine paying half an hour labor. To say they cant break down to half or quarters hours is BS. If that were true why are oil changes not 180.00 plus materials?

bruce_c

First Name
bruce
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Nissan Z 2015 wrx 1967 gto 1928 pontiac
The dealer I purchased it from did it for no charge. Really surprised they are charging you