Comparison of ANC/ASE on and off

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
I recently disabled the Active Noise Cancellation (ANC) and Active Sound Enhancement (ASE) features on my Z.

I get that a lot of sports car owners want a car that makes some noise. I too loved the exhaust note on my G35. However now, 20 years after my G35 was new, I have some hearing deficits. (Pro tip to all you teenagers: do not shoot large caliber firearms without ear protection. Your future self will thank you.) At this stage of my life, I don't need fake noise. After all, it's a car, not a video game.

Okay, so the Z has ANC and ASE. What's it like to turn them off?

ASE: I've complained on this forum a few times about ASE. For me, I really noticed it under spirited acceleration (around my 4k rpm self-imposed break-in rev limit with the 6MT). The car sounds a little growly, a bit more than expected at that engine speed, and not exactly the right sound.

I also noticed ASE on SynchroRev Match (SRM) downshifts. Here, it made me think I was over revving the engine. It seemed overdone for the situation.

I don't know if ASE kicks in any other times.

When I had ASE turned off, I noticed an immediate change. The fake growly sound is gone, and the noise…sorry…sound I hear is appropriate for what I'm doing. IMO, this is the way to go. I want to hear the car itself, not some overdone fake version of it.

The SRM downshifts still make some noise, but it's real. It now sounds appropriate for the situation, not exaggerated. The engine blips up to match road speed, but it's not overly loud, and feels right for the shift.

As for ANC, I'm not sure I can tell a difference. Supposedly it's off too, but the car sounds similar. Maybe ASE drowned out ANC before, so ANC wasn't noticable. I dunno. The road/tire/wind/gear noise seems the same. Maybe the gear noise is a bit louder.

If you're interested in giving it a try, head over to your Nissan dealer and ask them to turn it off. Note: I wish Nissan had made this a user- selectable option. I'd love to try all four combos to see which settings I like best. I am not driving to the dealer just to experiment.

If you like a louder exhaust, you might also consider turning it off. If you spend a few bucks to make your car a bit louder with a custom exhaust, don't you want to hear that rather than some fake noise piped though the stereo?

OP
OP
bpeckham

bpeckham

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z Performance 6MT Blue/Graphite
Very interesting, is there a way to turn off both without making a trip to the dealership?
Not that I (or others on the forum) have found. If you find something, please share.

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
I hate the idea of ASC, but actually didn't mind the tone/sound of the artificial engine note. It definitely wasn't a Turbo V6 (lol) but it sounded tough.

I turned mine off when I upgraded the sub (as I've said elsewhere, this is mandatory, or your ears will literally bleed...) but I also did exhaust at same time so couldn't really compare before and after.
I can say now that I don't miss it at all.

The wind noise in this car is absolute shit. Pretty typical of cheap japanese builds though - wouldn't get it in Euro cars (Z4upra et al).
I'll eventually throw sound deadening all over it, but it'll be one of the last things I do.

Can also confirm that it requires dealership to disable ANC/ASC. For now at least.
Takes them less than a minute. No one should be paying for it...

Beard

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.instagram.com
Car(s)
'22 Proto Z
Occupation
IT
A friend is able to turn off his fake engine noise on his Toyota GR Yaris using the Carista phone app and a Bluetooth OBD2 connector. We tried with my Z but that option isn't supported, yet. I'm going to reach out to the app devs and ask the question

Darkhorse

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2023 Z
Can also confirm that it requires dealership to disable ANC/ASC. For now at least.
Takes them less than a minute. No one should be paying for it...
I asked my dealer to switch it off (Sutton's Arncliffe) and they pretty much said sorry dont know how, see ya.

Not happy jan.

Mud

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
2009 370Z, 2023 Z
anyone wanna try this:
* hold "menu" button
* turn "tune scroll" to the left a few turns
* turn "tune scroll" to the right a few turns

Car audio settings menu may appear and there may be settings for ANC / ASE?
It works for some other Nissans

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
anyone wanna try this:
* hold "menu" button

Will try that in about 15 mins

Proto Z

Threads
Reaction score
Car(s)
Audi SQ7
anyone wanna try this:
* hold "menu" button

OK so tried it, and it definitely opens up a hidden menu:

1684823614963.png
1684823637362.png
1684823656248.png

Can't find anything about the ANC / ASC though... :(